My Dyno Results

General Questions and comments

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

dstocks
National Vice President
jedwabna poszewka promocja

My Dyno Results

Post by dstocks »

Well, finally got the Haltech Interceptor fitted and tuned. Got it done by Extreme Street Performance in Queanbeyan ACT and I am happy to recommend these guys. They managed to wring 129 KW at the wheels on Friday and then he spent an extra 2 hrs to get me an extra 2.4 KW. They did 31 runs in the end to get that and with the wiring included, that cost me $650. This was done with a mix of 95 and 98 Octane fuel (Didnt want to tune on only 98 this time as batemans bay is behind the times with the good stuff and i dont want my engine pinging like crazy if I have to put 95 in)

On a side note, after talking with him im inclined to think the Aero is tuned differently from a standard Version R (Hence the different Power Density raio in the stats). He ended up wringing 11KW out of it but said that it wasnt easy and that the engine was tuned more like a Porche out of the box than and other Mitsi he'd seen before. Apparently this has something to do with the green line that is hovering around the 13 mark (which supposedly is good).

Ayways, got to say im pretty happy with the result as a stock GPX is apparently around the 100KW mark. To get this, I have:

Manual
RPW Extractors
2.5" mandrel bent system with high flow cat and 2 triple flow mufflers
ARC intake with UAS pipe and custom CAI
Haltech Interceptor Premium

Heres the map:

Where next. Well im thinking throttle body (he reckons he can get 5kw extra from that). Im still running stock leads. Any other ideas (apart from turbo or NOS)......
Complete FTO (http://www.completefto.com.au/completefto.asp)
    If you are trying to contact me and not getting a quick answer, its because im disorganised. Hassle me and ill get back to you
    Astron_Boy
    Trolling Gen Y

Post by Astron_Boy »

Awesome!
    Nice power line there from the engine.

Interesting about the tune!
    Valandis91
    Veteran Mechanic

Post by Valandis91 »

wow if u got that much of a gain from only those mods i cant wait to ssee what i get!!!!!!!
    dstocks
    National Vice President

Post by dstocks »

wow if you got that much of a gain from only those mods i cant wait to ssee what i get!!!!!!!
    Youre making me feel special now....
      If you are trying to contact me and not getting a quick answer, its because im disorganised. Hassle me and ill get back to you
      Valandis91
      Veteran Mechanic

Post by Valandis91 »

sorry didnt mean it like that!

im just a bit excited thats all...
      SG
      Veteran Mechanic

Post by SG »

Far out i'm gonna have to get me one of them.
      Delvance
      Veteran Mechanic

Post by Delvance »

I would've said the green line hovering around the 13 mark is because of all the breather mods on your car. Anyways, having the afr around 13 is quite good for a factory ecu. I'm quite sure stock, it wouldn't be there though.

Over 131kw atw dstocks...very impressive. Quite a feat for an fto, congrats!! Should be pretty quick!
      I8A4RE
      QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

Very Nice work dwayne, thats impressive.

Whats next?
      dstocks
      National Vice President

Post by dstocks »

Im thinking throttle body. Would like to get the port and deck done, but that is a little exe for me atm and I cant afford the car to be off the road for that long.

Any other ideas of where to from here.....
        J
        Oldtimer

Post by J »

good work as always dwayne :D
        FTO_GPvR
        Mechanic

Post by FTO_GPvR »

Good work dstocks :D thats awesome
        just a couple of questions..

-did you get your car dynoed when it was fully stock? is so how much KW did you get?

-you said the Aero is tuned differently from a standard Version R (Hence the different Power Density raio in the stats) and its tuned more lke a porsche. so which one has more power? the standard Version R or the Aero series because i thought they had the same power

-you got 11kw out of the haltech which is still good but aza got 18.4kw, how come he got more than you?

-last question lol howcome theres two lines one green and one red on the dyno?

Cheers,
        Tyson
        koolio1234
        Oldtimer

Post by koolio1234 »

Congrats dstocks. Those figures are quite good. I'd be very happy with that. Did they have a go at advancing the ignition timings? The interceptor would have been good for that.

Port, polish and boring out to 2.2 - 2.5 would be next on my list :lol: :twisted: as well as the throttle body work of course. Depends on how serious you are about getting the most power out.
        [img]http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww104/thekrevolution/FTOFINALSIGNATUREcopy.png[/img]
        dstocks
        National Vice President

Post by dstocks »

just a couple of questions..

-did you get your car dynoed when it was fully stock? is so how much KW did you get?
        No, I never did get a dyno run when fully stock. I believe that a fully stock FTO gets about 100KW at the wheels. In my case, with the air and exhaust mods, I was getting 120kW before the haltech was fitted. Thats all I have to go off.
        -you said the Aero is tuned differently from a standard Version R (Hence the different Power Density raio in the stats) and its tuned more lke a porsche. so which one has more power? the standard Version R or the Aero series because i thought they had the same power
        Well im only speculating really. When you look at the stats:

http://www.completefto.com.au/CompleteFTO.asp?aid=454

you can see there are some differences (although looking at them now, all later model mivecs have different values). Im trying to work out why I couldnt get 18KW out of mine while Aza could (and yet im actually getting more at the wheels than Aza (especially when I started with his map - thanks Aza) if you take into account that he was running a track cat when his figures were done. All I can come up with is that the later models (maybe just the Aero) are running a different stock tune. Mine is a 1999 model, so quite late in the piece. As to being tuned like a Porche, thats what the guy at the workshop said (he had a hard time wringing the power out - 30+ runs on the Dyno. When you look at how close the green and red curves are, you can see that before the Haltech was fitted, the car was already tuned fairly well). Apparently im only getting 15KW less than some FTO turbo setups he has tuned with a Haltech.
        -you got 11kw out of the haltech which is still good but aza got 18.4kw, how come he got more than you?
        Hmmm, thats a curley one. Aza has had his engine ported and decked and runs a track cat when he gets his car Dyno'ed(cat with middle punched out whereas im running a high flow cat - which still has restrictions) . Having said that, Aza does not have exractors or a 2.5" system. The track cat adds 10KW straight away. It may just be that those mods lend themselves to more power with the Haltech. Aza is currently getting 135 with the Track cat (125 without). In my case, im getting 131.4, but if I put on a track cat, id be into the 140's. Additionally, I was running a mix of 95 and 98 octane fuel when I got the car tuned. This is because where I live down the coast, I am not guaranteed of getting 98 all the time. I put in a mix on purpose so that the car didnt ping itself to death if I had to fill with 95. Ive probably sacrificed a KW or 2 there. Then again, it could be that my engine has a better tune out of the box (as the stats suggest may be the case).
        One line is the before Haltech run and the other is the after haltech run. the flat curve is the air fuel ration (I think this is right) and the steep one is the power curve.

If im spouting crap feel free to correct me. Im far from an expert in this area.
          dstocks
          National Vice President

Post by dstocks »

Oh and BTW, for anyone interested, one of the club FTO members works for Haltech. If you want one, I got mine for about $550 (which is sort of mates rates I think). This doesnt include installation or tune or course. Anyway, I can hook anyone up that is interested.
            maxleng
            Grease Monkey

Post by maxleng »

dstocks wrote:Im thinking throttle body. Would like to get the port and deck done, but that is a little exe for me atm and I cant afford the car to be off the road for that long.

Any other ideas of where to from here.....
            weight reduction? if you havent already
            dstocks
            National Vice President

Post by dstocks »

Hmmm. Biggest weight reduction I could realise is by going on a diet I think........
              col2560
              Mechanic

Post by col2560 »

i wouldnt think there was too much excess weight in an fto to start with, without forgoing some comfort. passenger seat, spare tyre, a/c unit is about all i could think of without going all cf bodywork.
              my motto; do nothing, then rest.
              I8A4RE
              QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

dstocks wrote:
              One line is the before Haltech run and the other is the after haltech run. the flat curve is the air fuel ration (I think this is right) and the steep one is the power curve.

If im spouting crap feel free to correct me. Im far from an expert in this area.
              The green line is the before and the red line is the after.

Weight reduction wont help your engine power. lol

More fuel more power, why not fuel pressure reg. Probably be able to get a few more kw's out of her but you would need to retune.
              col2560
              Mechanic

Post by col2560 »

weight reduction won't increase engine power, but will change power to weight ratio. so dyno figures won't change but road speed will. dyno's don't tell the whole story.
              my motto; do nothing, then rest.
              Delvance
              Veteran Mechanic

Post by Delvance »

Aza got 18kw atw gain because his engine is not internally standard...when you make internal changes and no piggyback to make use of the changes, your potential power gain from going piggyback increases hence 18kw atw gain. Happens because the stock ecu cannot compensate for major changes, only breathing changes (exhaust intake etc) and even then, not fully. So by going piggyback and adjusting afr and timing for the breathing and internal mods, there's bigger gain to be had. You can tell aza's stock ecu couldn't handle to changes as it was running filthy rich whereas dstocks setup (only breathing mods minus piggyback) was running close to optimum afr.

Having a better tune out of the box but with the same motor..would generally mean there is less power to be unlocked.

Next mods i'd be thinking would be either weight reduction, brakes (pas ? Rotors ? Flush/bleed) and more sussy work.. i seem to remember it already has teins, how about some swaybars ? Some really good quality tires would be good too...one of only two mods that affects go, handling and stopping.

Some gauges and a knock sensor/light wouldn't be a bad idea ? Seeing as it's tuned and running decent power for an fto, wanna keep an eye on engine vitals. A small neat cluster of defi's would look pretty schmick.