This is what happens when you don't have bonnet pins

General Questions and comments

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Taz
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

This is what happens when you don't have bonnet pins

Post by Taz »

So after getting Dwayne's carbon fibre bonnet (that i've just found out was in a repairable write-off) i threw it on (was fine driving back to QLD, few hundred km's there after and then at 80km/h on a back street it decided to lift up.
Big bang and well as you can see....
Was looking at bonnet pins this morning of all times and was balling decisions about which ones to get - guess none now.
So now not only do i owe money for the bonnet itself, i have to somehow pull money out my ass to fix this, dont even wanna know how much its gonna cost, new windscreen, roof popped out, IF i decide to, bonnet repaired and pins in or spray another bonnet etc.
FML can't wait till the reality sets in...
Just lucky i was able to stop immediately, and that the structure of the bonnet and roof is still in tact. This COULD of ended much much worse.
Don't know how the hell Dwayne managed to survive without and pins..
Attachments
IMAG0223-1.jpg
IMAG0224-1.jpg
IMAG0225-1.jpg
IMAG0226-1.jpg
IMAG0227-1.jpg
Bennoz wrote: Cum gunt it!
Kustom
Oldtimer

Re: This is what happens when you don't have bonnet pins

Post by Kustom »

I drove without pins for over a year
Taz wrote:When funds allow
Taz
Oldtimer

Post by Taz »

It was fine on sahin's car, fine on mine ive done motorway speeds and fiercer acceleration that this with it on and it just decided that it wanted to come up on a side street, no pothole or nothing, just the wind got up into it and that was the end of that.
phunkydude
Veteran Mechanic

Post by phunkydude »

holy sh*t!!! could be worse if that happened on highway.

mine is without pin as well.
just wonder is the front latch/lock broken, hence this happened?
Taz
Oldtimer

Post by Taz »

nope latch is fine, although when dwayne gave it to me there was cracks in the hook part, however again it was very sturdy, i couldnt forcibly wiggle it at all, bonnet was fine for what 1500km since at greater speeds on rougher roads and dwayne had it perfectly fine im assuming?
its now shut again properly on the car so it must of got enough wind under it to force it open, however it was extremely low to the front bar, more so than another fto i have the rubber strip there to prevent air getting into the bay etc its fucks me.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Ouch.

You really ought buy shares in your local panel beater. Reap the rewards of yourself!
Kustom
Oldtimer

Post by Kustom »

:lol: :lol:
Bennoz wrote:Ouch.

You really ought buy shares in your local panel beater. Reap the rewards of yourself!
Taz wrote:When funds allow
Astron_Boy
Trolling Gen Y

Post by Astron_Boy »

Drove for 3 months with carbon bonnet, no pins.
Also lots of others on the forum without pins.

Guess you were unlucky.

Kinda confused by the pictures and what you've said.

Structure of the roof intact..? Roof looks lovely and dented in to me.

Also, did the bonnet come off the hinges?
The bonnet is not even bent in half, or shattered for that matter...

When the bonnet of my car flipped back the bonnet was litterally an L shape, and was because I didnt have the bonnet latched (distracted drove down street, up flew the bonnet)
So, is the pin of the bonnet broken? snapped?
Daniel2019
Oldtimer

Post by Daniel2019 »

Holy crap man! Hopefully damage isnt too overly serious/expensive?
I fix cars.
Bennoz wrote:I got Bali beli & sharted on my phone. But it was fun :D
bjk wrote:you old people are no help at all.
Taz
Oldtimer

Post by Taz »

@ astron,
What i mean by the roof structure intact is the lining of it if you will, top of the windscreen, by the doors etc its just the smack middle of the roof thats caved in and looks easy enough to pop out i guess.
The bonnet hinges are still intact and bolted in, as well as the latch and hook, im going to go ahead and assume either somehow it slipped off or something (i know when the bonnet is fully down and know it was when i left its a distinct distance) or the wind forced the latch thing open that the hook clicks down into - either way its done the damage.
As i said im VERY surprised the bonnet didnt bend or snap etc, its structural integrity is still like new apart from the few chips you can see in the middle and the edges by the latches snapped clean off.
I have no idea if you can even repair the bonnet edges or how expensive it would be to do so as it is carbon - is it as easy/same idea as fiberglass or is the integrity of those corners now fucked because the weave is not intact?
Looking at it the damage wont be too much thankfully depending on the roof, windscreen will be a straight repair, roof should hopefully just pop back out and that tiny nick touched up, however ill need a new roof lining as mine is now creased to the crapper and for the bonnet.....well...got time to think that one through, IF i decide to bother repairing and keep it then it will be held down with top of the line bonnet pins to ensure this doesnt happen again.
Just thankful that for the mean time i can get around and that i didnt seriously injure another person on the road or footpath, i think for what happened im very lucky for the outcome.

First the car park incident, now this...hate to see dreaded number three...

EDIT: The bonnet is also back down and in the catch etc, seems no damage was done to the mechanisms themselves which is a real head scratcher. just flew up, pulled over put it back down and got straight home, thank f**k that i was maybe a kilometre down the road on a back street ay...
PHIL069
Oldtimer

Post by PHIL069 »

This sux, what a crappy thing to happen, feeling for ya Taz :(
Last edited by PHIL069 on Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
silverGPX
9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

Your going to have to cut the roof off the blue car, get the windscreen from the blue car, get the bonnet off the blue car and burn the carbon bonnet.
Taz
Oldtimer

Post by Taz »

Nah the roof looks like it will pop out easy enough, as i said the outside of where its caved in is still intact, and id rather source another windscreen if i can as i need one anyway for the blue car, much easier if i dont have to unnecessarily touch the blue car.
As much of a pain in the ass its been now, id still rather keep the c/f bonnet, but next time just put heavy duty race pins on it to make sure this doesnt happen again..
PHIL069
Oldtimer

Post by PHIL069 »

You can still buy new roof turrets from Mitsubishi, about $500
Last edited by PHIL069 on Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sahin
HULK

Post by Sahin »

I'd put the blue cars bonnet on til you fix the other bonnet and get pins... And same with windscreen why not get it from blue car and eventually find another windscreen for it... And mate I don't think that roof will pop out as easy as you think it will. Take your headliner out of the blue car too and try pop your roof out while doing it. All in all at least you just got paid
aza013
NSW Coordinator

Post by aza013 »

That sucks big time :( .
If it's latching back down now I would say that it may not have been locked in properly for it to fly open like it did.
Dstocks had done a lot of runs up and down the big hill going to and from Canberra and his dirt road without any problems :? .
It's got me :scratch: too.

The car would have been looking good to before that :( .
bass_twitch
Oldtimer

Post by bass_twitch »

Holy Hell!
Mate that's horrible, I cringed badly when I saw those pics.....
Taz
Oldtimer

Post by Taz »

Yeah aza does suck as it did look mint.
I know it was down and clicked in as you have to push it down with a little more force than usual, if it was up it would of bounced around in my driveway and i havent opened the bonnet for a week atleast which ive done motorway speeds and such since - either way
Doesnt matter if ive just been paid sahin, i still dont have thousands just for spending, it goes to more important things like rent and food.
Wont be able to get to take it in to the shop for a week or so if i do find money for it anyway.

So now i need a windscreen indefinitely - anyone in Brissie got one by any chance?
silverGPX
9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

The structure under the roof would be all fucked and bent.
bass_twitch
Oldtimer

Post by bass_twitch »

Taz wrote:Yeah aza does suck as it did look mint.
I know it was down and clicked in as you have to push it down with a little more force than usual, if it was up it would of bounced around in my driveway and i havent opened the bonnet for a week atleast which ive done motorway speeds and such since - either way
Doesnt matter if ive just been paid sahin, i still dont have thousands just for spending, it goes to more important things like rent and food.
Wont be able to get to take it in to the shop for a week or so if i do find money for it anyway.

So now i need a windscreen indefinitely - anyone in Brissie got one by any chance?
Yeh I heard that this guy on here has a blue car that has one you could probably use for a while....

:lol:

-Sorry, bad time for joking.