Project Sim

General Questions and comments

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

BorepYano
Forum Moderator
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Re: Project Sim

Post by BorepYano »

That looks like it's coming along nicely.
Have you given any thought about using a projector + projection film on the windscreen, instead of the TV?

side note: there's so much of the original car here... anyone considering a drive and steer by wire conversion? :D
kiz wrote:
silverGPX wrote:This requires a thread? lol
There's potential for a thread about anything on FTO Australia
dstocks
National Vice President

Post by dstocks »

Have you given any thought about using a projector + projection film on the windscreen
Briefly, but a couple of issues:

- Because you are sitting so close to the screen, half of the picture would be on to the driver

- Vignetting would be a bitch because of the angle of the windscreen

In this case, the windscreen is removable. When playing the game it wont be there.
Complete FTO (http://www.completefto.com.au/completefto.asp)
    If you are trying to contact me and not getting a quick answer, its because im disorganised. Hassle me and ill get back to you
    BorepYano
    Forum Moderator

Post by BorepYano »

dstocks wrote: - Because you are sitting so close to the screen, half of the picture would be on to the driver

- Vignetting would be a bitch because of the angle of the windscreen
    Sorry I probably should have been more specific - rear projection; as in mount the projector on the outside of "the car".

i.e. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RYMR2LMVmQ

You can also play around with distance and height of the projector, to adjust for any distortion because of the angle of the windscreen etc.

Since I just had to Google what vignetting is, that's obviously well over my head. But would mounting the projector on the outside resolve the problem as well?

Anyhow, just a passing thought. The suggestion is more for the immersive experience, as opposed to cost; since a good projector will cost a whole lot more than a cheap LCD. (...and someone might want to buy that strut brace? :lol: )
    kiz wrote:
    silverGPX wrote:This requires a thread? lol
    There's potential for a thread about anything on FTO Australia
    dstocks
    National Vice President

Post by dstocks »

Got the playstation yesterday and.....

IT WORKS :D :D :D ..........

Tested with GT6. Brakes are too hard, so have to de-tension, but everything else is about right. Having said that, the logitech gearstick is a little difficult to get used to. Would be better if it was less sloppy. I guess itll just take some getting used to.
      If you are trying to contact me and not getting a quick answer, its because im disorganised. Hassle me and ill get back to you
      spetz
      Oldtimer

Post by spetz »

Next step, add hydraulics to simulate the car movement?
      dstocks
      National Vice President

Post by dstocks »

Yep, alreadylooking at electric actuators. Wondering if 150kg actuators will be enough the pull the corner down if mounted near the front shock (may need to remove spring)
        spetz
        Oldtimer

Post by spetz »

Does the game have a signal for that, or will it just work off of the pedals and steering inputs?
        dstocks
        National Vice President

Post by dstocks »

Thought I could just trigger it off the steering wheel
          spetz
          Oldtimer

Post by spetz »

Wouldn't you want up/down from the throttle/brake, and maybe a jolt when the clutch is released to simulate a gear change?
          dstocks
          National Vice President

Post by dstocks »

Would love that, but im no Vectose :lol: (that would require circuit boards and resistors and stuff. May as well be another language). Anything that I implement is going to have to be primarily mechanical with a bit of basic wiring thrown in to make it work. So any ideas along those lines would be great.
            dstocks
            National Vice President

Post by dstocks »

Added paddle shifters to a stock FTO wheel for the simulator. Interestingly, these would work on a real FTO as well:

dstocks
              National Vice President

Post by dstocks »

Electric windows now working. Have also bought some electric actuators for something a little special. More to come on this.
                bjk
                Totes

Post by bjk »

Nice job on the paddles. Should show that to Rob or whoever it was who was trying to do it. I suppose it is just wired into where the gear stick generally effects the gear changes from in the console?