General Questions and comments

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

REDDERthanyours
Grease Monkey
jedwabna poszewka promocja

LED lights

Post by REDDERthanyours »

Has anybody gone totally LED?

Can headlights and BRAKE lights go LED too?
Last edited by REDDERthanyours on Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Moused
Grease Monkey

Re: LED lights

Post by Moused »

REDDERthanyours wrote:Has anybody gone totally LED?

Can headlights and tail lights go LED too?
I could be wrong in saying this, but to my knowledge LED headlights are pretty sub par - the throw of the light isn't ideal/strong.
HIDs are the way to go, especially with the FTO having projector housings already on the car.
I'd highly recommend '95soarer' for HIDs on eBay - they seem like quality HIDs, and have good reviews across a few forums.

As for taillights... I found 'dual filament' LEDs were scare/expensive, especially in red.
If you can't find any... you'll have to tinker a little to get it working as it should (foot on brake, brighter light... foot off, duller light)

Some simple wiring and LED combinations will get the same taillight effect as a dual filament halogen but, smaller LEDs for the taillight, larger ones for the brake.
You'll want red LEDs too, so more light penetrates the lens. White LEDs give a pinkish, duller light through the lens.
DODO``
Grease Monkey

Post by DODO`` »

Moused wrote:
REDDERthanyours wrote:Has anybody gone totally LED?

Can headlights and tail lights go LED too?
I could be wrong in saying this, but to my knowledge LED headlights are pretty sub par - the throw of the light isn't ideal/strong.
HIDs are the way to go, especially with the FTO having projector housings already on the car.
I'd highly recommend '95soarer' for HIDs on eBay - they seem like quality HIDs, and have good reviews across a few forums.

As for taillights... I found 'dual filament' LEDs were scare/expensive, especially in red.
If you can't find any... you'll have to tinker a little to get it working as it should (foot on brake, brighter light... foot off, duller light)

Some simple wiring and LED combinations will get the same taillight effect as a dual filament halogen but, smaller LEDs for the taillight, larger ones for the brake.
You'll want red LEDs too, so more light penetrates the lens. White LEDs give a pinkish, duller light through the lens.
What's "projector housing" mean?
EDIT I've done some google search and got the picture.. does this mean we can only change the bulb for low beam? (As projector only president for low beam?)

I know FTOs have factory headlights with HID..
Would installing soarer hid insteoduce any heating issue etc? What wld be the main difference between going each method?

Hope I'm making sense here! I'm still waking up from the sleep haha
Moused
Grease Monkey

Post by Moused »

DODO`` wrote: What's "projector housing" mean?
EDIT I've done some google search and got the picture.. does this mean we can only change the bulb for low beam? (As projector only president for low beam?)
You can change both, but a non-projector housing will throw the light everywhere.. (this is a plus for your high beam, honestly... )
If you've been blinded by someones headlights before.. High chance it was because they've got HIDs in a reflector housing, suited for halogens.
DODO`` wrote: I know FTOs have factory headlights with HID..
Would installing soarer hid insteoduce any heating issue etc? What wld be the main difference between going each method?

Hope I'm making sense here! I'm still waking up from the sleep haha
I don't have any issues in terms of heat.. I believe HIDs actually run cooler than halogens.
Main difference... between factory and ebay ones? I wouldn't say there'd be much of one.. Ebay ones might be a newer tech?
The factory ones are removed when the car is imported into Aus, because they don't meet the local laws regarding HIDs.
Having said that, ebay ones are illegal too - you need something to self level the light, and a few other things to make it legal - so be aware of that if you do plan on installing them.

Honestly, with the projector housings on the car... They're perfectly fine. The light doesn't spread everywhere.

Edit - pretty useful info: https://www.reddit.com/r/cars/comments/ ... s_and_why/
Supplanter
Forum Moderator

Post by Supplanter »

I played around with some LED headlight bulbs a couple of years ago. I think they have potential. I couldn't get the light to focus properly as the point on the 'bulb' where the light is emitted is in a different location to the filament of normal bulbs. They have large heat sinks at the back, so I had to move the power steering fluid reservoir slightly to accommodate them.
LED ALL the things.
MaxD
Grease Monkey

Post by MaxD »

I've gone full LED SMD and played with the LED units in the projector housings - they're not there yet. At least the heatsink is flexible and hides inside the housing - it's a squeeze, but doable. :)

Stick to Xenon be it D2S (OEM) or aftermarket as the light output is considerably better. The tech is getting there, but not suitable as a retrofit.

The indicators are CREE and the halo side lights are COB, but that's about it. I created a guide for replacement too. Will dig it out if you need it - although would be best accessible to all.