General Questions and comments

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

spetz
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

The future of FTOs?

Post by spetz »

Hey guys,

With FTOs almost on the verge of being 25 years old and some older examples being able to use historic number plates what do people think this will mean for their value and public interest?

As far as a cheap track car is concerned they seem to represent excellent value and not many cars out there of this age look as good and drive as well for so little money.
Spike28278
Grease Monkey

Re: The future of FTOs?

Post by Spike28278 »

In terms of value I don't think much will change, an example I can think of is the 300zx, the z31 and some z32 could be classified as vintage cars but you can still pick them up for a few grand.

I honestly don't think the fto will get any more recognition after the fact anyway. It's a shame cause they're amazing cars, just overlooked I guess :/

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
mezje
Mechanic

Post by mezje »

They have hit a pretty big low, all the ones for sale have been up for ages and they're not even too exxy.

I don't think they will ever go up really, they just have no appeal outside people who really like the car, they don't have any widespread appeal.

Funny side note, some weird c**t bought some old headlights off me, went on a huge rant with me about how they were on the cusp of sky rocketing in value and that they would be considered THE japanese classic by 2020.
bjk
Totes

Post by bjk »

I can't ever see even the lowest mileage cars retaining anything near the value of similarly aged imports. Perhaps in North America once they can be legally brought over there we'll see some more aftermarket interest there? Who can tell.

As a theft deterrent, their unpopularity might be their biggest strength. :lol: nobody wants to risk their neck for something worth peanuts (though obviously some thieves are just opportunists). Unlike the almost daily disappearance of Nissans.
POWERED BY #TIMKNOTTMOTORSPORT: 2013-2016
Image Image Image Image
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Only purists left. They're a really well balanced car to flog around a track. I'm keeping tabs on all my suppliers to make sure they keep parts stock. Most of them do because they're common to other Mitsis of the day.

Value is irrelevant. Road going bombs can't get any lower, only mint examples demanding the money at this stage, I don't see that changing.
Nacho
Oldtimer

Post by Nacho »

bjk wrote:As a theft deterrent, their unpopularity might be their biggest strength. :lol: nobody wants to risk their neck for something worth peanuts (though obviously some thieves are just opportunists). Unlike the almost daily disappearance of Nissans.
I beg to differ :lol: In the immediate vicinity of where my carpark is at my apartment to my left we have a V8 Bi-turbo C63 AMG, in front we have a brand new GTS, next to that is a very nice Lexus IS350 and to my right newish looking Golf-R............and they steal the 360000km FTO :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Would be interesting to see what the value of the FTO will be in about 10-15 years if you can manage to keep it running. You can see the value of how much the classis jap cars are from the 70s here: http://jdm-expo.com/8-jdm-classic

The price looks reasonably high but it would actually be interesting to know whether they can actually move those cars at their asking price....but the kms do look pretty low. Here's an example:

Skyline 2000GT Hakosuka KGC10 for sale ( N. 8034)
Stock number:
Year:
Mileage:
Fuel:
Chassis number:
Transmission:
53.900 km"
Gasoline
KGC10-039533
M/T5
Price(USD): $72000

When you go through redbook you can see the classic 240Z hovering around $5k, old celica between $8.5K-9K and 80s Skyline around the $11K mark but once again is there anyone actually buying it at that price?

Makes you wonder where the FTO will sit once it reaches that age 30-40 years old. But saying that there may not be any petroleum left to power a combustion engine in the future.
You never get a second chance to make a first impression.
Nacho
Oldtimer

Post by Nacho »

You never get a second chance to make a first impression.
Vectose
Forum Moderator

Post by Vectose »

And which one of those cars was easiest to steal? lol
Bennoz wrote:
Technikhaus wrote:What is in said Bens big penis by the way?
A whoooole lot 'o jism 8)
bjk
Totes

Post by bjk »

Vectose wrote:And which one of those cars was easiest to steal? lol
This. :lol: