The Wheel and Tyre Bible

This forum is for technical discussions on anything that will make your car handle better or go faster.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

aza013
NSW Coordinator
jedwabna poszewka promocja

The Wheel and Tyre Bible

Post by aza013 »

For all your Q. about tyres and rims :D

http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible.html#speed
Chalice
Apprentice

Post by Chalice »

nice...helpfull as i've just bought a full set of yokohamas (only released 1 mth ago in oz) and you always hum and haa over cost of these little babies.

BTW what is the difference between hydrogen filled and normal air pressure filled tyres if anyone knows, i think its to keep the tyre colder (harder) for wear purposes but not sure...hmmm might google
aza013
NSW Coordinator

Post by aza013 »

Chalice wrote:BTW what is the difference between hydrogen filled and normal air pressure filled tyres if anyone knows, i think its to keep the tyre colder (harder) for wear purposes but not sure...hmmm might google
all you answers can be found on page two :D
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Its called the bible for a reason. Comprehensive stuff 8)
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

I just installed some wheels 17x8 with a +33 offset on some lowered springs. I got 17s as I wanted a 45 profile tyre as the bumps are starting to piss me off...

Fits just about perfect with exactly the right offset. Scrubbs a bit on full lock but not much...rears clear the lip (just and looks great.

Pics up later.
aza013
NSW Coordinator

Post by aza013 »

what size rubber are you running 235/45/17's or 225/45/17's?
I am running the 235's and I get the same so I think the 225's would be the go less rubbing.
I also found that the federal tyres are made wider than the hankook tyres as I did not get as much rubbing with the hancook tyres (235's)
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

aza013 wrote:what size rubber are you running 235/45/17's or 225/45/17's?
I am running the 235's and I get the same so I think the 225's would be the go less rubbing.
I also found that the federal tyres are made wider than the hankook tyres as I did not get as much rubbing with the hancook tyres (235's)
you are spot on.

I'm running Federal 595S which I tested on my r33 some time ago and I was impressed with the bang for buck heaps of grip at a really good price (well where i get them from) I run approx 300kw atw on my r33 and i havee good traction. They also sat wider than my previous tyres and I have to lip the back to stop the rubbing. (I run 265s on the the r33)

Based on this I decided on 225s Federals for the FTO reasons you stated above, as they do sit a bit wider.

I have a hill climb spot near my house so about 1hr ago I decided to go for a hard drive around the corners etc. I'm amazed and now have a new found love for my FTO as I can go around corners Like I always wanted...I dont think I Ihave carried that much corner speed into those turns since i owned her.

My camera was flat will post up soon.
aza013
NSW Coordinator

Post by aza013 »

sounds great and you are lucky you have a good place to test them out :twisted:
I still have to test my ones and I have had them on for about 2 months :roll:
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

What I was worried about what the offset/width combination - as we know this is always a confusing topic.

So I have 17x8" with 225 tyres using a rim with +33 offset. Interesting to note, my rims were pretty light, lighter (for the money) than I expected.

They are Lenso D1R, ProjectD series - brand new in OZ. They have a polished lip. I got them delivered from NSW actually (Taleb Tyres) who were great and actually suggested these for the offset (approx 1k!)

http://www.talebtyres.com.au/

I buy my tyres from Access Auto in Melbourne who are an online wearhouse ($140 per tyre for me for the 595S performance spec)

http://www.accessauto.com.au/

PICs...
http://www.ftoaustralia.com/modules.php ... 821#175821
J
Oldtimer

Post by J »

khunjeng wrote:What I was worried about what the offset/width combination - as we know this is always a confusing topic.

So I have 17x8" with 225 tyres using a rim with +33 offset. Interesting to note, my rims were pretty light, lighter (for the money) than I expected.

They are Lenso D1R, ProjectD series - brand new in OZ. They have a polished lip. I got them delivered from NSW actually (Taleb Tyres) who were great and actually suggested these for the offset (approx 1k!)

http://www.talebtyres.com.au/

I buy my tyres from Access Auto in Melbourne who are an online wearhouse ($140 per tyre for me for the 595S performance spec)

http://www.accessauto.com.au/

PICs...
http://www.ftoaustralia.com/modules.php ... 821#175821
hey im getting the same rims!! but i always wanted all black rims for my black fto so im getting the d1r's in mat black with the red groove around it

17x8 33+ aswell... im currently running 17x8 speedy holotype R's atm with 215/45/17 and i get no rubbing at all.. except on the right side because my splash piece is loose. so hopefully on monday ill be getting them swapped out for new ones...

whats a good tyre to put on them? brand wise and performance wise, without emptying my bank account lol
tintin
Grease Monkey

Post by tintin »

i though i posted this up awhile ago :? i gess i didnt :oops: its a great site though :D
coilovers!! gaurenteed to make boobs bounce :)
JOeJOe
Oldtimer

Re: The Wheel and Tyre Bible

Post by JOeJOe »

Might be a silly question. Rims off a magna would they fit on the fto?

Also i found a set of 16x6 rims with a 46 offset, would these fit?
aza013
NSW Coordinator

Post by aza013 »

JOeJOe wrote:Might be a silly question. Rims off a magna would they fit on the fto?

not a 100% on if they will fit or not but don't go 16x6 rims, factory rims are 16x6.5
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Offset is bit high, end up taking out the inner gaurds.
JOeJOe
Oldtimer

Post by JOeJOe »

Thanks guys, it is now off my watch list.
JOeJOe
Oldtimer

Post by JOeJOe »

payaya
Oldtimer

Post by payaya »

JOeJOe wrote:Might be a silly question. Rims off a magna would they fit on the fto?

On the mid to late 90's model they do.
fto-007
Grease Monkey

Post by fto-007 »

I have just put a set of work emotion wheels on my fto. I put 18x8.5 with a +25 off-set on the front and 18x8.5 with a +20 off-set on the rear. Running 225x35 tires on the front have no problems with scrubbing and rims sit flush with the car 8) (has to roll rear guards)
Gholdwayne
Oldtimer

Post by Gholdwayne »

fto-007 wrote:I have just put a set of work emotion wheels on my fto. I put 18x8.5 with a +25 off-set on the front and 18x8.5 with a +20 off-set on the rear. Running 225x35 tires on the front have no problems with scrubbing and rims sit flush with the car 8) (has to roll rear guards)
I want to see pics of that!
97 GPX Icelle Blue

I cant stop driving her!
...and when im not, im looking at her!
... ...and when im not, im freakin thinking about her!

FTO[For The Orgasm]
like For The Win!, but more hardcore...
fto-007
Grease Monkey

Post by fto-007 »

Gholdwayne wrote:
fto-007 wrote:I have just put a set of work emotion wheels on my fto. I put 18x8.5 with a +25 off-set on the front and 18x8.5 with a +20 off-set on the rear. Running 225x35 tires on the front have no problems with scrubbing and rims sit flush with the car 8) (has to roll rear guards)
I want to see pics of that!
could of fit 18x9 under it with the off-set but they didnt make the wheels in a 9 just 8.5 and 9.5 :(
Attachments
Picture 220 (1024x768).jpg