Big brake kit

This forum is for technical discussions on anything that will make your car handle better or go faster.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Bennoz
National President
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Big brake kit

Post by Bennoz »

Guys, I'm having a c@nt of a time sourcing rotors for my big brake kit, so I'm seriously contemplating trying a whole new setup. I refuse to pay $400 a rotor.

So, dribble your knowledge all over this thread :hey: What's out there?

- GTO Brakes are an option. I'm not adverse to making up brackets. Where does one find a set of Mk 1 GTO calipers?
- Late model Evo Brembos are an option. Especially if I can use Evo hubs. God knows what model bits would work...?
- What about the Magna boys. What do they use? They have the same diametre CV shafts, so I could use FTO or Magna hubs..

Am looking at anything from 300mm to around 330mm in rotor size. Preferable a 4 pot caliper. Am not looking to get any of the kits in from the UK. They're just too expensive to start with, and the weight absolutely murders the freight charge.

And at the end of the day, if we come up with a good bit of engineered kit (I'll have to get it signed off), I can mass produce, or do group buys.
Shane001
Oldtimer

Re: Big brake kit

Post by Shane001 »

If you want to keep costs down, look at Wilwood. Or go source some used motorsport gear, maybe ex Porsche, or ex NASCAR from the States.

But seriously, why do you need to upgrade the brakes beyond quality rotors, pads & fluid?

And remember if you do the fronts, to maintain balance you'll need to do the rears also. Otherwise the first time you need to emergency brake the fronts are gonna lock.
Last edited by Shane001 on Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Shane001 wrote:If you want to keep costs down, look at Wilwood. Or go source some used motorsport gear, maybe ex Porsche, or ex NASCAR from the States.

But seriously, why do you need to upgrade the brakes beyond quality rotors, pads & fluid?

And remember if you do the fronts, to maintain balance you'll need to do the rears also. Otherwise the first time you need to emergency brake the fronts are gonna lock.
They wont sign off the engineering cert on the 6A13 conversion without a 20% increase in brake capacity.

Wilwood are an option. I've got the template for the bracket on the 298mm kit somewhere in my files :scratch:
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Here's the GTO setup. Apparently clearance between wheel & caliper can be an issue.

Shhtuart
Forum Moderator

Post by Shhtuart »

You're running 18's so as far as I know clearance should be sweet.

Yahoo Japan has plenty of GTO calipers up, some go pretty cheap and no doubt theres a rebuild kit for them.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Wow, found all this info on this very website :lol:

This is the Wilwood kit.

- Caliper is the 120-6816. Nice lightweight drop forged aluminium. http://www.wilwood.com/Calipers/Caliper ... 20-6816-RD (approx $330 for the pair)
- Disc is 294mm Evo IV (range of rotors available ranges from $150 a pair, to $400)
- Bracket needs making (3/8 steel, seems to be missing some dimensions) http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/5580/bracketrf4.jpg (Approx $100 for the pair to have made)

bass_twitch
Oldtimer

Post by bass_twitch »

Bennoz wrote:Wow, found all this info on this very website :lol:
Search Button :cheers:
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

:lol:

All that, even with expensive rotors, is around $800 bucks! which is what these c@nts want for 2 rotors to suit the UAS kit :lol:

Plus I can sell the UAS calipers & EBC red pads that are in them to the HSV boys.
silverGPX
9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

Pete_gpx had GTO brakes on his fto. That's probably your easiest option, they were massive, he ran R32 GTR rims.
Shane001
Oldtimer

Post by Shane001 »

Bennoz wrote:They wont sign off the engineering cert on the 6A13 conversion without a 20% increase in brake capacity.
Stupid fucks :lol:

It always amazes me this apparent correlation between engine size/power and brake capacity. Brake capacity has nothing to do with engine size/power, and everything to do with top speed and vehicle weight. Yes a more powerful engine potentially means higher top speed, but really other than on the track, and then only on Conrod at Bathurst, you're not going to see any real increase in actual top speed.

And the fact that they will probably pass increased front brakes only without increased rears, modified brake bias valves, modified master cylinders etc only confirms my comment above :lol: By only upgrading the fronts you potentially make the braking system on the car more dangerous on the street. But they're engineers :)

Edit: Not to mention tyre grip capability :roll:
Edit: Not to mention GPX brakes are the same as EVO I/II/III. Evo III came with 270 bhp (201 kW) at 6250 rpm, 309 N·m (228 lb·ft) from the factory ;)
Last edited by Shane001 on Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shane001
Oldtimer

Post by Shane001 »

Ben, did they give you any guidelines as to where or how they would measure / calculate the required 20% increase?
Shane001
Oldtimer

Post by Shane001 »

Another option would be to look at an EVO I/II/III big brake kit. Only difference is the rotor PCD. All you need to do is redrill em for 5 stud.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Shane001 wrote:Another option would be to look at an EVO I/II/III big brake kit. Only difference is the rotor PCD. All you need to do is redrill em for 5 stud.
Thats a good point, just need to 5 stud 'em. They're even the same 67.1mm centre bore.

LOL, check out the AP kit you can get to suit Evo III..

Shane001
Oldtimer

Post by Shane001 »

Bennoz wrote:
Shane001 wrote:Another option would be to look at an EVO I/II/III big brake kit. Only difference is the rotor PCD. All you need to do is redrill em for 5 stud.
Thats a good point, just need to 5 stud 'em. They're even the same 67.1mm centre bore.

LOL, check out the AP kit you can get to suit Evo III..

Now we're talking :lol:
Cost? I'm guessing $5K+
Edit: Sadly they're not floaters though. For that sort of kit you'd want floating rotors.
Shane001
Oldtimer

Post by Shane001 »

Ben, do you know what the rotor is they use with the UAS kit? ie what it's off?
Sahin
HULK

Big brake kit

Post by Sahin »

Off one of these
Attachments
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1338864071.456609.jpg
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Shane001 wrote:Ben, do you know what the rotor is they use with the UAS kit? ie what it's off?
Nobody can tell me. Its closest relative is the C5 Corvette. We think its a custom made thing.

Its been to 3 suppliers & no one can match it up. I've got an appointment with the tech guy from DBA this afternoon @ their Silverwater office. He's my last resort.

UAS can get replacements, but their supplier is wanting them $386 a pop ex tax (thats UAS's buy price!) and they're not saying what they're off or if they're custom :roll:
Shane001
Oldtimer

Post by Shane001 »

Another option (but not a cheap one initially) would be to match up the rotor dimensions with say something like a Wilwood GT rotor, then have some alloy hats made up to suit. This would be a much better option long term (assuming you are happy with the calipers) as you'll have a much better rotor (built for motorsport, curved vein, etc) and then replacement rotors from then on will be cheap.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Yep yep, just been speaking to my mechanic, he reckons a hat for it will already exist. Just need to go match up a disc to go with. We'll see how I go with DBA tomorrow, then I've got a few other leads to follow up after that.
Shane001
Oldtimer

Post by Shane001 »

The issue with the hat will be the offset for the caliper. I doubt there'd be one off the shelf that offsets the rotor correctly for the UAS caliper mount. Easy to measure and research though. What thickness are your current rotors?