Final Drives

This forum is for technical discussions on anything that will make your car handle better or go faster.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

bjk
Totes
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Re: Final Drives

Post by bjk »

Bennoz wrote:You guys just need more boost.
Bennoz-EFA
POWERED BY #TIMKNOTTMOTORSPORT: 2013-2016
Image Image Image Image
Daniel2019
Oldtimer

Post by Daniel2019 »

Bennoz wrote:You guys just need more power.
Dunno, I'm pretty good for power at the moment. Already spinning inside wheel on cornering and all of first, some of second in straight line...

Need moar grip. Tyres, diff and ratios would also be nice. We also can't jam back into first so I am constantly stuck mid range in 2nd gear on short track.
I fix cars.
Bennoz wrote:I got Bali beli & sharted on my phone. But it was fun :D
bjk wrote:you old people are no help at all.
spetz
Oldtimer

Post by spetz »

I hate to say it, but if you have traction issues it is definitely not because of how much power you have.
Traction issues in an FTO would only result from forced induction IMHO (or of course huge capacity, NOS etc).
Running an NA 2.0L and having traction issues just means your tyres, suspension, differential etc etc are lacking.
Daniel2019
Oldtimer

Post by Daniel2019 »

spetz wrote:I hate to say it, but if you have traction issues it is definitely not because of how much power you have.
Traction issues in an FTO would only result from forced induction IMHO (or of course huge capacity, NOS etc).
Running an NA 2.0L and having traction issues just means your tyres, suspension, differential etc etc are lacking.
Did you read anything that I wrote? :lol:
I fix cars.
bjk
Totes

Post by bjk »

Daniel2019 wrote:
spetz wrote:I hate to say it, but if you have traction issues it is definitely not because of how much power you have.
Well you did still say you were good for power and went on to explain when you were spinning the wheels. I call it a 50% fair call on behalf of Spetz. :lol:

You've already got a rear strut brace, yeah? If not get one obviously, and I found the larger rear sway helped for corner stability too.
Image Image Image Image
Daniel2019
Oldtimer

Post by Daniel2019 »

bjk wrote:
Daniel2019 wrote:
Well you did still say you were good for power and went on to explain when you were spinning the wheels. I call it a 50% fair call on behalf of Spetz. :lol:

You've already got a rear strut brace, yeah? If not get one obviously, and I found the larger rear sway helped for corner stability too.
What would be the point at the moment of moar powar if I can't even get current powar down? I listed everything that he said :lol:

Of course you can never have enough powar, there is no such thing, I just need to get current amount down before I look for moar. Being a track only whore now, I will be making the most time up by getting moar grip, not power (yet).

Keep in mind I am talking only about circuit/hillclimb use. It isn't a green light warrior like it used to be :lol:
I fix cars.
bjk
Totes

Post by bjk »

Daniel2019 wrote:It isn't a green light warrior like it used to be :lol:
I like this phrase, haha.

Join the Evo arm club. :tongue:
Image Image Image Image
MADFTO
Mechanic

Final Drives

Post by MADFTO »

I think I'd be able to light it up in first with my engine once everything is done, with the stock box, but I disgress. :P

Sounds like you may need to consider a custom set of ratios to remove some of the mech advantage in the lower gears that a lower powered engine needed that you don't anymore.

Since it's a track car, you probably should figure out what torque mark you're intending to hit longer term and figure out your ratios based on that.

Otherwise, you'll just be chasing your own tail whenever you find more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Daniel2019
Oldtimer

Post by Daniel2019 »

MADFTO wrote:I think I'd be able to light it up in first with my engine once everything is done, with the stock box, but I disgress. :P

Sounds like you may need to consider a custom set of ratios to remove some of the mech advantage in the lower gears that a lower powered engine needed that you don't anymore.

Since it's a track car, you probably should figure out what torque mark you're intending to hit longer term and figure out your ratios based on that.

Otherwise, you'll just be chasing your own tail whenever you find more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have no problem wheel spinning first in a straight line. That is with an open diff though and regular street tyres (which are only a 215 at the moment due to my car having lower front spring seats). Second also gets a lot of inside wheel spin when turning corners. Most of my problems will be solved with a diff and some better tyres but theres definitely time to be taken off there with shorter ratio box. The only reason I want shorter ratios is that the stock ones are just sh*t as spetz said. I'm not forking out for custom gear ratios when we have like four hundred million possible gearboxes that will work that have shorter ratios. Mirage boxes are basically available at Woolworths for a dollar. Lots of other places to spend moar money before we start pulling gearboxes apart but might get there one day...

It isnt so much a torque mark that I'm aiming for but just trying to keep it above 5k rpm constantly on tight tracks. Up at Raymond Terrace we were stuck right between the end of first and start of second, and once an FTO is in 2nd it isnt going back to 1st.
I fix cars.
bjk
Totes

Post by bjk »

Maybe you just need to hit the corner at full pelt, skid to a stop, chuck it into first and blast it off again and you still might make up time. :lol: