RPW Camshaft spec 6A12 MIVEC

This forum is for technical discussions on anything that will make your car handle better or go faster.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Nath
Apprentice
jedwabna poszewka promocja

RPW Camshaft spec 6A12 MIVEC

Post by Nath »

Found this link from years ago. They still make them for anyone interested. Not sure if this info made it to their new website so just making sure it's available to the forum.

http://www.rpw.com.au/Products/Engine%2 ... 0File.xlsx

I'm looking into Stage 1. No idea what power gains to expect??
Daniel2019
Oldtimer

Re: RPW Camshaft spec 6A12 MIVEC

Post by Daniel2019 »

I wouldn't..
I fix cars.
Bennoz wrote:I got Bali beli & sharted on my phone. But it was fun :D
bjk wrote:you old people are no help at all.
Nath
Apprentice

Post by Nath »

I'm after some power gains while remaining NA, other than cams, ECU and port 'n' polish I don't know what else to do.
Is there someone better than RPW?
ZFL45H1
Oldtimer

Post by ZFL45H1 »

Only if u get custom ones made by someone.The only fto I know of that got them was fto007 wasnt it but that is a monster not worth the money for the power gains im afraid
gotta get there one day :)
Vectose
Forum Moderator

Post by Vectose »

Valandis got them but I believe he had issues with them.
Bennoz wrote:
Technikhaus wrote:What is in said Bens big penis by the way?
A whoooole lot 'o jism 8)
dstocks
National Vice President

Post by dstocks »

What figures do you have at present?

Stock FTO is 100KW atw if in good condition. Im running intake mods, exhaust mods and Haltech piggyback ecu and have over 130KW atw. Those are your best starting points if you havent done them already. Oh and I havent had a port and polish done as yet.
Complete FTO (http://www.completefto.com.au/completefto.asp)
    If you are trying to contact me and not getting a quick answer, its because im disorganised. Hassle me and ill get back to you
    Nath
    Apprentice

Post by Nath »

Haven't had the time to dyno run before mods yet.
    Bought it with intake and exhaust already done however noticed a huge dent in a runner so going to replace the whole system.
    I'll most likely get a Haltech once the exhaust and port n polish is done. Might even swap out throttle body in the process but I've heard that can create idle issues??
    Thanks for the info dstocks and Vectose. I'll avoid cams unless I find solid evidence from a proven expert :?
    dstocks
    National Vice President

Post by dstocks »

So im running:

UAS Silicone Intake
    ARC Airbox
    CAI to front bar

RPW Extractors
    Mandrelbent exhaust
    Magnatec high flow cat
    2 x triple flow mufflers

Haltech Premium piggyback ECU

The haltech locked in the mods and gave me close to 20% better fuel economy. The moment you do the throttle body mods, youll lose that. Not sure what gains you get from that anyway. After the mods ive done, itll be the law of diminishing returns.I think the port and polish maybe worth while, but above and beyond that, im not sure.

You coming to the bonfire BTW. Would be nice to see your car here again. You might recognise a pic or 2 in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=22141&hilit=2011+bonfire&start=620
      If you are trying to contact me and not getting a quick answer, its because im disorganised. Hassle me and ill get back to you
      MADFTO
      Mechanic

Post by MADFTO »

Funnily enough, my car's currently with RPW getting an engine rebuild done.

Well, more than just an engine rebuild, because it'd just be silly to not do some upgrades while she's opened up.

I'll be going down the same N/A path as Valandis91. The cam profile, from memory, won't be as aggressive as his (Mitsiman will correct me if I'm wrong) but end game is that she'll be running E85.
      That means I can a bump up in compression and all the joys that brings across the whole band.
      It'll be interesting how this build progresses, not in any rush with it though so updates might be a bit sparse initially, would rather RPW take the time to do it right.

I'm intending to post up figures and charts when she's run in a bit.
      I do want to share what has been done since there's so few people who've gone down this route, I'm considering it my community service/civic duty =P.
      Though, I'll only do that once the build has coalesced a bit more.
      It's a bit of new ground, I don't think there's been an NA 6A12 rebuild tuning for E85 made public and everyone knows how bad aftermarket support for engine upgrades are.

Oh, with the graphs, the only baseline I have for the engine is from a number of years ago, there was no point taking one just before I sent her in, she'd done around 180k on the clock and she was starting to leak oil from the rear bank =P Final straw was when fuel line to one of the banks cracked.

So yeah, the final piece of the upgrade puzzle has started =P
      spetz
      Oldtimer

Post by spetz »

Dwayne why do you say if you fit an oversize TB your fuel economy will go?

To the OP, Stage 1 cams will probably make your car faster as it'll increase the power in the higher revrange of the primary cam, and bring the MIVEC crossover higher in the revrange.
      Personally I would not consider anything less than a Stage 2 cam. As for how effective these are sadly no one knows. They may provide a decent increase in power, but if you factor their cost + fitting + tuning + things like valve springs etc, you may be looking at many thousands which will provide poor kw for $ ratio.
      Bennoz
      National President

Post by Bennoz »

I did the bigger TB on my car, didn't kill fuel economy, but had to tune her in. The extra air in meant it was running really lean on idle. Was ok up top though.

Then again, I only get 250kms a tank anyway :lol:
      dstocks
      National Vice President

Post by dstocks »

Because Im wrong it seems. I thought that's how it worked. I stand corrected.

Question though. What is the cost/gain on this mod?
        Nath
        Apprentice

Post by Nath »

I'm not too concerned as to the cost per kw. I've had too many Evos tuned with ridiculous amounts of different combos to even think about going to forced induction. I just want to make out this engine over time and stay NA.
        I'll be doing all the work myself, except port n polish and the ECU tuning. I'm not familiar with Haltech but have done some road tuning with Open ECU.

Not going too large with TB, my Dad is a claimed NA expert (from his own racing days) and has a pretty good formula for TB size to engine capacity vs cam profile.
        When I finally sit down and do the math I'll post what I'll be doing, even if this means pulling down the engine and looking at how big I can go with bore size.

Unfortunately I won't be able to make the bonfire this year :( Thanks for the link to 2011, some pretty good shots there. Looks like an awesome club meet. Shame I'll miss out.

Thanks everyone for all the info. Like MADFTO said, there's not much information out there about tuning or aftermarket support.
        FTOwnage
        Mechanic

Post by FTOwnage »

Come to the Sydney event on Sat afternoon :)
        FTO GPvR 6A13 Single Turbo (Almost finished....)
        spetz
        Oldtimer

Post by spetz »

dstocks wrote:
        Because Im wrong it seems. I thought that's how it worked. I stand corrected.

Question though. What is the cost/gain on this mod?
        Dwayne I picked up a Magna V6 65mm TB from a wrecker in QBN for $40 if I remember right. Though I think I just got extremely lucky as it also came with an ISC and TPS.
        It bolts straight onto the FTO intake manifold but the manifold still has a bottleneck which needs to be enlarged (Bennoz has pics of this in his build thread).
        silverGPX
        9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

Is it 65mm at the very opening?
        Nath
        Apprentice

Post by Nath »

I think I have one of those left over in my garage from a previous project lol. Might have a look....
        spetz
        Oldtimer

Post by spetz »

silverGPX wrote:Is it 65mm at the very opening?
        The butterfly is 65mm from what I understand. FTO is 60mm
        Bennoz
        National President

Post by Bennoz »

spetz wrote:
        silverGPX wrote:Is it 65mm at the very opening?
        The butterfly is 65mm from what I understand. FTO is 60mm
        Yep, always measure the butterfly from the back.

Sahin
        HULK

Post by Sahin »

So we could use magna stepper motors?