R-Spec V-Tec MiVec Engine Controller

This forum is for technical discussions on anything that will make your car handle better or go faster.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Mickvec
Apprentice
jedwabna poszewka promocja

R-Spec V-Tec MiVec Engine Controller

Post by Mickvec »

My newly acquired toy has one of the above mentioned pieces of equipment sitting in the gauge cluster, after wondering what it did apart from give me a mismatched rev count I did a little research and found it also works as a speedo, and I can calibrate the tacho side of it.
It will also let me know an ideal time to shift gears and give me an annoying high pitched truck style reverse beeper. Now apart from all those relative minor things apparently it also has three settings for the MiVec; nor = factory set H1 = MiVec cuts in at 3500rpm and H2 = I've yet to try and see the difference. It was set at H1 when I bought it so I have left it there.
I think a side effect of this is my FTO does not like to idle when its dead cold, it will just stall, but 1 or 2 mins later it will idle. I dont know what mods, if any, have been done to mine in the past 19 years apart from it has a rather stodgy looking mushroom type pod filter where the airbox should be, and it has a rather nice non-factory exhaust system.
I dont know that these two mods would warrant putting the engine controller in it, but someone has anyway. I suppose my question is, does anyone else run the same thing or similar on their vehicle and are there any noticeble benefits.
All I really notice is that when the FTO hits 3500 rpm the controller does a little double beep, the exhaust may or may not have a little pop, and then the inner lion of the V6 is let out of its cage and it starts to roar all the way to about 7500rpm when I decide its time to change to the next cog.
Any thoughts on the matter??
Cheers
Mick
FTOwnage
Mechanic

Re: R-Spec V-Tec MiVec Engine Controller

Post by FTOwnage »

I think Mitsubishi set Mivec to start at 5500rpm. Not sure wether it might be harmful or not to have it set 2k lower.
FTO GPvR 6A13 Single Turbo (Almost finished....)
rock_it
Oldtimer

Post by rock_it »

Sounds like the settings when it has been reset.

U need to set the unit up so it is not in 4cyl mode. When you change it 6cyl revs will match and the car will run smoother.

I would set the MIVEC point at stock. Aza did have a custom point of cut in, where they tested on the Dino.. Can't remember what that was.

But yeah, the other advantage is it cuts out the 180 speed limit..
I just had to add it ......
sublime19 wrote:Lol clearly you don't know me well enough, it was a joke :roll:
I talk a lot of sh*t, usually have to keep a roll of toilet paper handy in the car for my mouth :lol:
Astron_Boy wrote:Hold me Sooty, I need man comfort.
:utbnb:
Mickvec
Apprentice

Post by Mickvec »

Just adjusted it to 6cyl mode and put it on normal setting, will see how it goes...
Mick
Mickvec
Apprentice

Post by Mickvec »

Well it runs a lot smoother, no annoying bips from the engine controller either, and when I say smoother I mean it now acts more like I would expect a factory car to act; its up changing earlier and staying in top longer on speed decreases, and the MiVec switches on at 5500rpm now as opposed to the previous 3500rpm which decreases the fun factor a little. Generally its a lot cleaner feeling to drive on the factory settings, although its only a button press away if I want to be a "boy" for a bit. :lol:
Cheers
Mick
Daniel2019
Oldtimer

Post by Daniel2019 »

Yeah has been tested. Leave it at 5,500rpm, Mitsubishi got it right the first time :D
I fix cars.
Bennoz wrote:I got Bali beli & sharted on my phone. But it was fun :D
bjk wrote:you old people are no help at all.