2003 Mirage 4G64 with 4G63 head Conversion

This forum is for technical discussions on anything that will make your car handle better or go faster.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Mitsi_Girl_Amy
Apprentice
jedwabna poszewka promocja

2003 Mirage 4G64 with 4G63 head Conversion

Post by Mitsi_Girl_Amy »

Hi All just putting this out there. My Mirage has just thrown a Rod and now this being the 2nd time ive had enough so looking for better bang for buck without the major head (insert swear word here lol)

Now ive heard of this conversion being done but found little info on it and even less photos that were of help being all American (rolls eyes) its next to no help at all. only thing i found of any use is that apparently the engine is a straight bolt in job with manual gear box and again doubtful at best being once again information come from America again (rolls eyes)

So has anyone here heard of this conversion to suit a Right Hand Drive (the PROPER side of the car) Mirage and what the Conversion Details are which includes info like how to tie in the Power Steering and A/C from the mirage to work with the new motor, what shocks & springs to put in the front. sounds like silly Qs but even among the info i found that the Qs was not asked nor Answered

So If anyone has any info of actual help or knows someone that has done this and willing to part with the Information that would be really appreciated :)
If It Isn't a Mitsubishi It Isn't Worth Driving :)
rock_it
Oldtimer

Re: 2003 Mirage 4G64 with 4G63 head Conversion

Post by rock_it »

Have seen many cars put a 4G63 into lancers and mirages.

As the 63 and 64 bolt up, you should not have an issue.

I was going to do this and convert the mirage into AWD. I had found a few workshops that were keen to assist with the conversion, and both said it was relatively straight forward.
I just had to add it ......
sublime19 wrote:Lol clearly you don't know me well enough, it was a joke :roll:
I talk a lot of sh*t, usually have to keep a roll of toilet paper handy in the car for my mouth :lol:
Astron_Boy wrote:Hold me Sooty, I need man comfort.
:utbnb:
Mitsi_Girl_Amy
Apprentice

Post by Mitsi_Girl_Amy »

Thanx for Confirming they Fit

But yeah all this info would be really help as i Intend to do it myself.

I might be a girl but im sure as hell no afraid to goto my tool chest (not my Boobs lol) pick up my tools and get grease under my nails and oil on my nose and show that im more that just a pretty face :)

Not to mention i live by the saying want something done right do it urself
rock_it
Oldtimer

Post by rock_it »

Mitsi_Girl_Amy wrote:Thanx for Confirming they Fit

But yeah all this info would be really help as i Intend to do it myself.

I might be a girl but im sure as hell no afraid to goto my tool chest (not my Boobs lol) pick up my tools and get grease under my nails and oil on my nose and show that im more that just a pretty face :)

Not to mention i live by the saying want something done right do it urself
Might be a good place to start.. But give Meek Automotive a call. They should be able to assist with the conversion.

They will have all engine mounts, brackets, and anything needed ... Well usually... Can probably give you a bit of a step by step.. I purchased all my parts off them when building my Evo ... Very knowledgeable people.. Good prices... And friendly ..
I talk a lot of sh*t, usually have to keep a roll of toilet paper handy in the car for my mouth :lol:
Mitsi_Girl_Amy
Apprentice

Post by Mitsi_Girl_Amy »

Ah Sweet will defiantly drop them a line :) just hope its not too much mucking about like ive heard about other 4G conversions
rock_it
Oldtimer

Post by rock_it »

Mitsi_Girl_Amy wrote:Ah Sweet will defiantly drop them a line :) just hope its not too much mucking about like ive heard about other 4G conversions
Nah, should be pretty straight forward. So I am told... :)

Will be interested to know how you end up ... I still haven't ruled out doing a Mirage AWD and 4G63 conversion..
spetz
Oldtimer

Post by spetz »

I think your best and easiest option is to transplant a 1.8L into it from a Lancer. It will be cheap, much faster, easy to convert and with plenty of parts available.
Failing that if you need to go all out or want a considerable boost in power then a 4G69 conversion would go really well
rock_it
Oldtimer

Post by rock_it »

spetz wrote:I think your best and easiest option is to transplant a 1.8L into it from a Lancer. It will be cheap, much faster, easy to convert and with plenty of parts available.
Failing that if you need to go all out or want a considerable boost in power then a 4G69 conversion would go really well
Just as easy for the 2.0l.. The 2L bolts straight into early model Lancers. Simple change of an engine mount and crossmember. So Mirage should still be the same. Hence why people do it to the Proton GTi..
Mitsi_Girl_Amy
Apprentice

Post by Mitsi_Girl_Amy »

Okie Dokie looked into the 64 with 63 head conversion. as far as bang for buck goes it isnt worth it.

3 things i found

1. gear box, engine, loom and ECU alone 2k plus
2. Suspension has to be totally redone to handle the weight and the only way to offset the added weight of the 2.4l was to put in coil overs and add a small weight to the rear end.
3. to make the car legal id have to get the car Engineered. and because of the head change id need to pay for an emissions test making the engineering cert costs sore.

so yeah not worth it for approx 105kw@fw

I did look into the other conversions listed the 2ltr and 1.8ltr again same issues as the 4g64 conversion cost and muking about just isnt bang for buck worth it. Plus the 1.5ltr DOHC is only 4kw less than the 1.8 and 10kw less than the 2ltr.

how ever if i had the cash id do the 4G63T & AWD conversion is by far the way to go with the mirage but its big bikkies. Min 20k. Looked into that years ago, engine & gear box need custom mounts. need to replace the floor pan with one from an EVO 4. custom CV and drive shafts and the list just goes on and on

So for me ive decided to stick with a 4G15, remove the turbo set up and sell off the parts for it then get a new bottom end for it, rebuild it all, get the head worked, quoted so far 2k and less for full recon, port and polish, bench flowed, head shave and 272 cams so that will give it some poke. got a few other legal mods planned too and with any luck make close too or break 100kw. anything over 95 id be very happy. when i first turboed my mirage it produced 94.7kw was only a SOHC running 6psi and with that i beat most v8 commies and falcons :) but this time i have one advantage i didnt have last time, My current gear box has a LSD and built to take the power and too boot a custom clutch and Fly again to take the power coz nothing standard produced by Mitzis, Xtreme or Exceedy could handle anything properly over 90kw
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Why not just throw some forged rods & pistons in your existing setup and wind the boost up?
rock_it
Oldtimer

Post by rock_it »

Get 4G63t engine ...
Get Mitsubishi Eclipse Box - GS-T as it is a FWD box that bolts to a 4G63

I did that set-up in my Sonata. Put in aftermarket ECU, bigger turbo, and had it running 316hp at the front wheels.
Mitsi_Girl_Amy
Apprentice

Post by Mitsi_Girl_Amy »

my bottom end that just sh*t itself was a FULL forged bottom end, plus the block was re-enforced and blue printed, yet i still have a con rod from cyl 1 sticking through 1 of 2 holes it made
Mitsi_Girl_Amy
Apprentice

Post by Mitsi_Girl_Amy »

rock_it wrote:Get 4G63t engine ...
Get Mitsubishi Eclipse Box - GS-T as it is a FWD box that bolts to a 4G63

I did that set-up in my Sonata. Put in aftermarket ECU, bigger turbo, and had it running 316hp at the front wheels.
One heck of a set up ill bet it worked really well. but would be no good in a mirage unless your intending it to use it in drag races. or sticking it in a lancer coupe where putting a bigger motor in it wont affect its handling :)

Dont mind me im obsessed with weight and handling :) and have always prefered them over massive power and straight line speed
Daniel2019
Oldtimer

Post by Daniel2019 »

Mitsi_Girl_Amy wrote:Dont mind me im obsessed with weight and handling :) and have always prefered them over massive power and straight line speed
Why not have both?
I fix cars.
Bennoz wrote:I got Bali beli & sharted on my phone. But it was fun :D
bjk wrote:you old people are no help at all.
rock_it
Oldtimer

Post by rock_it »

That engine and box combo goes in many mirages and Proton Satria GTI's though..

Or just go a 4g93t and AWD conversion..
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Mitsi_Girl_Amy wrote:my bottom end that just sh*t itself was a FULL forged bottom end, plus the block was re-enforced and blue printed, yet i still have a con rod from cyl 1 sticking through 1 of 2 holes it made
Wow, don't be going back to that engine building again then :lol:
Mitsi_Girl_Amy
Apprentice

Post by Mitsi_Girl_Amy »

Believe me i wont be. Hence why this time I'm doing the build myself

Daddy always told me, If u want something done right do it urself :)