What oil - Gearbox with LSD

This forum is for technical discussions on anything that will make your car handle better or go faster.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

spetz
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

What oil - Gearbox with LSD

Post by spetz »

Hi guys,

I am trying to find out what is the best oil to use in my manual transmission.
It has a 1.5 way LSD.

Does anyone know if the transmission itself has some kind of requirements?
Looking at the Cusco oils:
http://www.cusco.co.jp/en/pdf/p22.pdf

There is the GL5 80W-90 and the GL3 for FWD mechanic LSD type gearboxes - Does anyone know which is the right one?

EDIT:
According to the gearbox manual:
"Hypoid gear oil SAE 75W-85W conforming to API classification GL-4 or higher"

I might go the Motul LSD oil type 2 FF 75/90w as this is GL5 and is easily accessible (compare to the Cusco stuff at least) and people are reviewing it fairly well.
Bennoz
National President

Re: What oil - Gearbox with LSD

Post by Bennoz »

Steer away from GL5, stick with GL4.

What type of limo is it?
spetz
Oldtimer

Post by spetz »

What's wrong with GL5 Bennoz?

It is a 1.5 way that came with a gearbox that came from those Mirage cup cars (1.6 MIVEC) so I am not 100% sure on brand but had expected it to be Cusco
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Ugh, Cuscos are a c**t to find the right oil for, especially if it's clutch type MZ.

I went through just about every gearbox oil on the market trying to find one that would shut the Cusco up & make it bearable in any scenario other than flat out. The best I found was Valvoline's limo diff stuff.

GL5 oils can be corrosive to yellow metals. Something that mid 90s Mitsi boxes are full of. All the syncros.
spetz
Oldtimer

Post by spetz »

Thanks Bennoz.

I researched this and yes i turns out that GL5 oils are high in sulfur and phosphorus which are corrosive to metals such as brass which indeed the Mitsubishi gearboxes have in their synchros.

With that in mind I am leaning towards getting some Redline MT85 75W85 GL4 oil and add some Redline LSD friction modifier.

The car is not going to be street driven so protection and longevity of parts are the first priorities and a quiet diff is a nice to have rather than must have
Shane001
Oldtimer

Post by Shane001 »

The ONLY oil to use is MOTUL Gear FF-LSD Competition Type 2. Race proven 8)

This oil was specifically formulated for the softer synchro metals found in mitsi gearboxes.
Shane001
Oldtimer

Post by Shane001 »

Whatever you use don't use the Penrite equivalent.

I used this when I first got my FTO. A few sessions around Oran Park, gearbox didn't feel right, so I drained the oil. It was full of tiny little gold specs! :evil:
spetz
Oldtimer

Post by spetz »

Hi Shane,

That oil is GL5 though which is corrosive to brass and other metals that the synchros are made of.
From what I have read the oil will work well but only for a limited time before the corrosion starts.

How long did you use it for?
Shane001
Oldtimer

Post by Shane001 »

spetz wrote:Hi Shane,

That oil is GL5 though which is corrosive to brass and other metals that the synchros are made of.
From what I have read the oil will work well but only for a limited time before the corrosion starts.

How long did you use it for?
5 Years :)

Do some research on it. This oil was developed specifically for the Evo gearboxes due to the problem with the unique properties of the Mitsi synchros.
silverGPX
9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

Evo guys use Nulon or Penrite full synthetic. I use penrite gl4 in my evo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Vectose
Forum Moderator

Post by Vectose »

I use Castrol Syntrans fully synthetic (Not Syntrax)
Bennoz wrote:
Technikhaus wrote:What is in said Bens big penis by the way?
A whoooole lot 'o jism 8)
spetz
Oldtimer

Post by spetz »

Shane I couldn't find any reference to the motul being designed for the Evo boxes.
Meek sells the Type 2 Motul for Evos so I will give them a call and see what they say...

I've found a few threads where you chimed in and mentioned you used the Redline however you didn't use the Redline Friction Modifier (which they say must be mixed in for LSD units).

I already bought the Motul FF LSD oil but I am more leaning towards swapping it for the GL4 Redline MT85 (75W85) and adding the Redline Friction Modifier.
It might result in a louder LSD than using the Motul oil but it seems risking the synchros is worse than a bit of extra noise.
I've found a few threads (for Lancers/Mirages that run the same gearbox) where users say they used a GL5 oil and their synchros were ruined.

Certainly not all GL5 oils are equal and perhaps the Motul FF has the right mix of additives that won't damage our synchros but I am unable to find the additive specs to compare to a GL4 oil.
Shane001
Oldtimer

Post by Shane001 »

I don't think I ever user Redline oils in the FTO. Have and still use Redline Lightweight Shockproof with rear wheel drive diffs and gearboxes. Brilliant stuff.

All I can say is I used it for 5 years in the racecar, flat out every time it was driven, and never had any problems with this oil and never any sign of synchro deterioration. If I had an FTO again, this is what I'd use.
spetz
Oldtimer

Post by spetz »

I think you were talking about your FTO here?
Shane001 wrote:I ran the lightweight shockproof in my gearbox on Sat at EC. Was better with the synchros than the Penrite SIN 75 I had in it, but very, very noisy with the LSD. I've now drained it and putting in Motul FF-LSD Type 2. The only reason I tried the Redline was cause I've got 3 lts of it. If you're buying it new go with the Motul. This is the best oil for this type of gearbox. Try Geoff at SS Auto at Girraween, though he'll have to order it in for you, I think I just bought the last of it lol!
That was posted on March 10th, 2010 here:
http://ftoaustralia.com/v3/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=20044

The redline oil is stated as a higher friction oil (which helps with synchro engagement) which is why it would be pretty bad for a clutch LSD, but this is what the friction modifier is for so that it takes away some of that friction for clutch type diffs.
Shane001
Oldtimer

Post by Shane001 »

Yeah I wasn't sure, so yeah I tested it on one track day, it was 7 years ago, shoot me :lol:

But there's a big difference between lightweight shock proof and Redline MT85. I don't know that I'd be adding friction modifier to the shock proof oils.
spetz
Oldtimer

Post by spetz »

I'm going to assume that if Redline doesn't explicitly state that their friction modifier is not to be used with any specific oil they make then it should be fine.

I think the shockproof might have a relatively high coefficient of friction though as it generally "cures" crunchy gears if I am not mistaken?
Which would also explain the noisy LSD
Sahin
HULK

Post by Sahin »

She be right just chuck in gulf western