The FTOA Oil Thread

This forum is for technical discussions on anything that will make your car handle better or go faster.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

JOeJOe
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Post by JOeJOe »

Oil increases KW?
Shane001
Oldtimer

Post by Shane001 »

OK guys, seems there's a few peeps on here reckon they know a thing or 2 about oils ;)

But most of this has been about street cars, what about a dedicated track car :)

I was looking to go with Penrite SIN 15 (15W40) for the engine, and Redline Lightweight Shockproof in the gearbox/diff.

This is for a 95 FTO GPX manual with a Cusco LSD (apparently). Car will be spending it's whole life revving to redline :twisted:

Why Penrite? Well I actually got a copy of the RP test mentioned earlier, and for a lot less money the Penrite full syn tested was almost if not just as good. And from the info on their site, the SIN 15 seems the best match for the MIVEC engine for competition use.

Also where do you buy the K&N oil filters? And can anyone confirm which part number, 1010 or 1006?

Cheers.
evoman
Grease Monkey

Post by evoman »

Hey Mate, I'm no expert but I can give you a little info.

The K&N Oil filter is HP-1010. I got mine from AutoBarn however a couple of places sell them online as well.

If you decide to use the RL Lightweight Shockproof, I believe you may need to also get a friction modifier to adjust the friction levels for a LSD gearbox. I would suggest having a look at the Motul FF-LSD Type 2 gearbox oil as this is designed specifically for FWD LSD equipped cars. It's damn expensive but it was used by Subraru WRC team and is used in a lot of high performance applications so it seems to be worth the cost.

If I had a track FTO I would probably tend to use an engine oil that is a good mix of price and quality and just change it regularly(after each race even). On a street car I would tend to pay more for quality as they would be subjected to a wider range of operating requirements. But that's just my way of thinking.
bduffman
Oldtimer

Post by bduffman »

ok never been more confused in my life but sounds like k&n oil filter and 10w40 for normal apps and 5w30 for cold starts but if I went the 5w30 would that cause my tappets to be louder then they already are I read the all fto bar gpx have self adjusting correct and that tappets are expencive to replace and the noise tends to come back to to the wear on the old groves what would be the best all round oil for normal apps I trash my car and work nights so will be a few cold starts and no waiting to get home moneys no issue to me im happy to spend the 150 for oil if it will be worth it I've only ever used off the shelf supercheap type stuff should I be sourceing out the rl stuff sounds like its pretty pro stuff by all the talk up on here will repco and stuff sell the oil filter or will I need to jump on the k&n site thanks guys I don't really no any think bout oil I just look at the charts and cost and go yep that's expencive and works in my car ill take it
vipfto
Forum Moderator

Post by vipfto »

filter rz411 anybrands are usually good esp for your application
oil 10w 40 or 15w 40 is fine if you wannaspend the cash up to you or use mobil1/magnetec etc just avoid the supercheap own brands and the likes ETC
bduffman
Oldtimer

Post by bduffman »

went to supercheap this morning they had moble1 10w40 proformance or 0w50 or some other kind so i went with the 0w50 fidgured i couldnt go wrong with it as its got the best cold and higher hot temps prices were $90 for proformance $70 0w50 and $40 the other one and i went with a mid cost wide range or protection
zuihoujueding
Oldtimer

Re: The FTOA Oil Thread

Post by zuihoujueding »

changed to Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 a few weeks ago and its tapping like a diesel car...
Sweep
Grease Monkey

Post by Sweep »

Just a quick question regarding engine oil I have fresh shell helix 10-40 in my gpx and the engine sounds fairly noisey is it worth me trying a different type of oil?
Thanks
zuihoujueding
Oldtimer

Post by zuihoujueding »

i guess you can only go thicker oil like 20-50? or fix the tappets.

for me, i have been running Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 for the past 2500km and its burning so much that i have to top up about 1litre per 500km. Not sure if the engine oil is to blame as i have added Xado engine treatment to it also.
Change my oil back to 10W-40 last night and see how it goes.
nazGPX
Apprentice

Post by nazGPX »

hi guys..i'm new to this stuff..is it fine if i use redline 5w-40? what will happen to my tappets? its a tip gpx btw..and i'm livin where the climate is wet n hot all the year..daily temp is 32 degrees..thanks..cheers :)
Kustom
Oldtimer

Post by Kustom »

Sweep wrote:Just a quick question regarding engine oil I have fresh shell helix 10-40 in my gpx and the engine sounds fairly noisey is it worth me trying a different type of oil?
Thanks
Don't use shell :lol:
Taz wrote:When funds allow
nazGPX
Apprentice

Post by nazGPX »

change my oil today..now i'm using redline 5w-40 i must say the engine sounds very smooth than before..i can hardly hear the tappets from inside..back then i'm using shell semi-syn 10w-40
zuihoujueding
Oldtimer

Post by zuihoujueding »

nazGPX wrote:change my oil today..now i'm using redline 5w-40 i must say the engine sounds very smooth than before..i can hardly hear the tappets from inside..back then i'm using shell semi-syn 10w-40
i got the result the other way round! lol
nazGPX
Apprentice

Post by nazGPX »

zuihoujueding wrote:
nazGPX wrote:change my oil today..now i'm using redline 5w-40 i must say the engine sounds very smooth than before..i can hardly hear the tappets from inside..back then i'm using shell semi-syn 10w-40
i got the result the other way round! lol
i see u're using shell right?..even though the grade are the same..i'm not sure about the quality though, but redline is pretty good stuff :)
zuihoujueding
Oldtimer

Post by zuihoujueding »

I was using the top of the line Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 and for some reason, the engine is quite noisy, until i changed back to the usual Castrol Magetic 10W-40 and the noise has dropped down considerably.

Well, every engine behaves slightly differently so i guess its normal.
payaya
Oldtimer

Post by payaya »

How much do these K&N filters cost? I heard these filters are great at quietening down lifters in the morning.
zuihoujueding
Oldtimer

Post by zuihoujueding »

air filters can quiet down lifters? interesting....need to google that! :)
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

:facepalm2:

I think you'll find he's being somewhat cheeky... The extra induction noise you get with a pod filter, drowns out the noise of the lifters :lol:
bass_twitch
Oldtimer

Post by bass_twitch »

payaya wrote:How much do these K&N filters cost? I heard these filters are great at quietening down lifters in the morning.
I will have to disagree with this. I'm running a nice k&n pod and I can still hear the tappets in the low revs, however they do very quickly disappear with the k&n enhanced mivec roar :D haha
payaya
Oldtimer

Post by payaya »

Bennoz wrote::facepalm2:

I think you'll find he's being somewhat cheeky... The extra induction noise you get with a pod filter, drowns out the noise of the lifters :lol:
Hahah being serious this time. Refer to top of the page, K&N make oil filters and they are meant to be pretty good for lifter noise. Might as well give it a go!