The FTOA Oil Thread

This forum is for technical discussions on anything that will make your car handle better or go faster.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

khunjeng
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Post by khunjeng »

if you dont know who spoon are...well

reference ANY service amnaul for any auto or manual car and look at the GB change intervals. The FTO is 50-100,000km fro memory.

the more important questio to ask is...what oil will you use?
Grue
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Grue »

A few thousand miles away from my car at the moment... Anyone know off the top of their heads the diameter of the oil filter?

Thanks muchly
If you can't dazzle them with dexterity, baffle them with bull...
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

about 70mm total diameter

Thread diameter where it screws on is about 18mm-20mm

Part Number: Z411

...not off the top of my head though, got a spare one kicking around..
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

mr-charisma wrote:about 70mm total diameter

Z411 are sh*t.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

khunjeng wrote:

Z411 are sh*t.
+1

Poor construction.

Get the Cooper equivalent. Part number can be cross referenced in any Auto shop.
JOeJOe
Oldtimer

Post by JOeJOe »

I have a spare Z411 if anyone wants it .. FREE !!!!

Btw, the cooper brand, the part number is the same Z411. It's about $6.
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

Bennoz wrote:
khunjeng wrote:

Z411 are sh*t.
+1

Poor construction.

Get the Cooper equivalent. Part number can be cross referenced in any Auto shop.
I always get Cooper, the part number for them is 1041, but most Auto shops will store them on the shelf listed as Z411
zuihoujueding
Oldtimer

Post by zuihoujueding »

Oops...i just did an oil change myself. went to sca, they only sell, "polurator" something like that, valvoline and ryco? only ryco is in stock and i just took it.

Castrol Magnetec 10w-40 is on discount $30 at autobarn so i took it.

went on to the oil change. the old filter was cooper. forgot to compare it with ryco but anyway. heres my findings:
the usual tapping noise was noticably soften, not sure its becos of the oil or filter. thats about it.

Next is coolant flush. I got Tectaloy Rapid Cool Coolant and Coolant flush also as they are on offer $26 at autobarn.
Benedict_XIII
Grease Monkey

Post by Benedict_XIII »

What do you guys think of these magnetic oil filters compared to say the k&n ones

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... 0278754926 (magnetic)

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... 0262016075 (k&N)
zuihoujueding
Oldtimer

Post by zuihoujueding »

Never tried Magnetic. But from the looks, i reckon its good. For that price, personally i would try it out. Oil filter will get changed eventually with every oil change. So, you will probably buy both of them and try them out and perhaps give us a review! 8)
trex101

Post by trex101 »

zuihoujueding wrote:Oops...i just did an oil change myself. went to sca, they only sell, "polurator" something like that, valvoline and ryco? only ryco is in stock and i just took it.
Polurator is good, one of the best oil filter brand in America.
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

trex101 wrote:
zuihoujueding wrote:Oops...i just did an oil change myself. went to sca, they only sell, "polurator" something like that, valvoline and ryco? only ryco is in stock and i just took it.
Polurator is good, one of the best oil filter brand in America.
trex101 - wow mate long time no see!
evoman
Grease Monkey

Post by evoman »

Alright this is an essay, so apologies for that. Please have a read and provide some input. I would really really appreciate it.

I’m planning on replacing my gearbox and engine oil in the next service, and I’m after a bit of info so that I can buy all the stuff beforehand.

From what I’ve read I’m going for Royal Purple. I know a lot of people don’t reckon it’s worth the extra money, but I would prefer to spend money for quality even if it means I’ll probably need to miss lunch for the next year.

Gearbox Oil;
I own a manual GPvR with a LSD, and I’m not sure how much this changes things over the standard box. How much oil will I need? Is it the same roughly 2.3L as the normal box, or does the LSD box need more?
I’m looking at getting Royal Purple Max Gear 75W-90, does this sound right? Does anyone else use this? Since I’ve picked the car up I’m getting some occasional grinding when cold, so I am hoping this will make a big improvement.

Engine Oil;
Now this is where all the debate creeps in which is pissing me off….LOL….why can’t there be a definitive viscosity to use damnit.
Once again, I’m planning to go Royal Purple.
First – Am I right in thinking I will need about 4.4L?

Khunjeng seems to be a strong supporter of 5W-30. I agree with this thinking in theory for performance and startup wear reasons, and especially since we're moving into winter I am leaning towards this direction. However as I have NFI what oil is in the car at the moment, I assume a 5W-30 could bring to life any tappet issues that might be hiding behind the current oil. Furthermore, I do go for some long distance trips and enjoy giving the car a bit of a squirt quite often so I’m not sure if 30 is enough? Or am I just worrying too much?

I guess a 10W-40 would just be a safer option, even if it probably isn’t the best. What are other peoples thoughts?

Big thanks for any advice or input.
zuihoujueding
Oldtimer

Post by zuihoujueding »

Hi mate, im currently using RP MaxGear 75W-90. Definitely smoother gear change, but stills experience abit of grinding from 1st to 2nd when cold every now and then. I used about 2.2L on my GPX.
Personally, i woud try other brand like Redline which is even more expensive than RP.

The need of viscosity change vary according to your local climate. Have a read on this thread and it should explains. Im curently using Shell Helix Ultra with 5W-40 with mitsu filter which has no problems. Will definitely still hear some tapping sound but thats the way its been build. Am i right? :roll:

Question: Good gear oil generally last for 40k? im referring to 50-50 city/highway driving.
Tippin
Oldtimer

Post by Tippin »

i just put in Penrite 10w40 and i must say its very good stuff.

Driving is a lot smoother, dont get bottom end rattles anymore and tappet noise has reduced significantly. I put in 4.3L

Ive also heard very good things about elf oils and my mechanic rates it over anything else (If they use it in the F1's it must be good right?)
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

film strength on my redline 30wt is more than any of the oils mentioned....i.e. same to more protection with less weight...so there is no issue there and I hammer my car lots - for a few years.

after all this however I notice these days as my tappets start to loose alignmenmt, when its cold and the oil is not at temp (and thick) the engine runs nice and quiet, at temp its a bit more noisy thse days on idle i.e. the 40wt would probably help stop the noise however the op. temp viscosity difference is not really that much when you compare a redline 30wt to a 40wt as an example - many other brands will be similar however how long they stay this way is the question - look for HTHS rating for example as a key indicator.

I can assure everyone that I run 5W30 and have done for a few years with no drama - you should see how clean the engine is now after a few yeras of redline!

Unless u track the car, 30wt is fine for melbourne whcih is generally cold anyway.
evoman
Grease Monkey

Post by evoman »

Thanks for the info guys.
I think I'll have a go with the Redline Lightweight Shockproof for the gearbox, and will just use Royal Purple 10W-40 for the engine.
Will let you know how I find it.
Banserki
Apprentice

Post by Banserki »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49kETjPZP9Y

Oil comparison test. Nulon FTW!!!!
Tippin
Oldtimer

Post by Tippin »

Banserki wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49kETjPZP9Y

Oil comparison test. Nulon FTW!!!!
haha i met vince a few times before, he's an awesome mechanic

Got to stay in his pits all day at compak attack i think it was at WSID when he ran his fastest time in that blue ute, he also tuned my brothers pulsar and will be tuning is new one too
zuihoujueding
Oldtimer

Post by zuihoujueding »

gain nearly 12kW just by switching from Mobil1 to Nulon and save $28. Wahahahaha! thats the best performance mod ever! Wahahahaha :D