Sub Box Boot install + Strut brace

This forum discusses anything to do with your In Car Entertainment requirements such as. Stereo's, TV screens, Speakers, Navigation Systems, etc

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

mr-charisma
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Sub Box Boot install + Strut brace

Post by mr-charisma »

I have just picked up my subs today (freebies from my bro) & the box that they are in is not going to play nice with the Strut brace that I have bought & am going to be putting in the car. The box sits a bit higher than the strut brace, so I will have to consider some other options ...

Has anyone else encountered this? & how did you get around it?

I am thinking I might have to mount the sub box at the rear of the boot, facing the front of the car.
OR take the subs out of the box & mount them on either side of the boot in the rear corners, facing diagonally out towards the front of the car...

I don't want to have to scrap the box that they're in as it was built to specs for the subs & ported etc... SO .... Is it possible to cut some holes in the side of the box & have the strut brace running through the middle of it?
I realise it wouldn't be the best thing to be putting more holes in the sub box. ... if I did that I'd have to try & seal it up as much as possible... & it might be easier to mount it at the rear of the boot (Wouldn't look as good though...
BorepYano
Forum Moderator

Post by BorepYano »

wouldnt having the strut brace going through the box set spaz viberations out from the sub straight to the brace.. there for straight to the car - there for distort the sound?

can u mount the brace up a bit higher? i.e. some sort of spacer for them? (though u might have to make it urself)
kiz wrote:
silverGPX wrote:This requires a thread? lol
There's potential for a thread about anything on FTO Australia
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

Nah, the box is too tall to mount the strut brace any higher even if I could.

Probably couldn't even run the brace through the box if i wanted to...

I think my best option is to cut the box in half and mount the two halves in the rear corners of the boot. I will make a fibreglass cover to hide the box & possibly do the rest of the boot panels in fibreglass, sanded smooth & painted.

Don't really want to muck around with making a custom fibreglass enclosure for them cause they're already made to perfect specs for the subs.
Slinky-minky
Grease Monkey

Re: Sub Box Boot install + Strut brace

Post by Slinky-minky »

How did you end up going with that??? That white FTO I was looking at, and I haven't discounted FTO's as an option, but was interested in the GPvX which as you know has a strut brace in the back (As did some of the Lancers)

So my question, how did you get around it? I thought I'd have to go buy a flat sub...and I'm just so attached to my current Clarion sub I didn't wanna part with it...plus I don't think anyone buying the car would want my sub and amp (however I'm leaving all the wiring and fasteners there for them to put one in, if they want)
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

cut the box in halves and mounted them in the rear corners of the boot facing the front of the car with a little bit of modification to contour to the corners better.
joined the two boxes across the centre section of the rear of the boot for the extra required volume for the subs ..
bass_twitch
Oldtimer

Post by bass_twitch »

mr-charisma wrote:cut the box in halves and mounted them in the rear corners of the boot facing the front of the car with a little bit of modification to contour to the corners better.
joined the two boxes across the centre section of the rear of the boot for the extra required volume for the subs ..
photos? I'd be interested to see how you have your boot set up?
dr390
Mechanic

Post by dr390 »

hey i was plannin to install my 12" inch sub this weekend and i was scoping out the engine for the hole where the lead for the battery lead to go too, but i cant find it, do i have to drill one or there is one?...

its a 1996 gpx
Tell me when i stop

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
silverGPX
9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

its on the battery side. there should be a 2cm wide grommet. about quarter way down firewall
dr390
Mechanic

Post by dr390 »

oh ok thanks..
Tell me when i stop

bass_twitch
Oldtimer

Post by bass_twitch »

dr390 wrote:hey i was plannin to install my 12" inch sub this weekend and i was scoping out the engine for the hole where the lead for the battery lead to go too, but i cant find it, do i have to drill one or there is one?...

its a 1996 gpx
silverGPX wrote:its on the battery side. there should be a 2cm wide grommet. about quarter way down firewall
It is a massive bitch to get through though, I did it last week, The something or rather sits exactly in the way! haha, (at least in the GPX it does), but I found with a bit of clotheshanger, duct tape and pure determination we got it through. That was by far the hardest part of the wiring process.. the back half is easy, you just take the bottom of the back seat off and voila, easy as pie :)
dr390
Mechanic

Post by dr390 »

true 2cm is pretty small, how long did it exactly take you?... and my plan is to keep the wiring as clean as possible inside the car, im not sure how i might put it inside the car, not sure to put it on the side of the car or under the carpet...

how did you do it?
Tell me when i stop

bass_twitch
Oldtimer

Post by bass_twitch »

It wasn't the size that was a pain, it was the awkward angle and the fact that the wire itself wasn't strong enough to push through the rubber surrounding seal, it took a couple painful hours, (but that may have been cus i was having one of those days.. haha) But the trick I decided on was I used a un-bent coathanger, duct taped the wire to it and pushed it through, then got my bro the grab it as soon as it came through..

The other problem was we were expecting it through a different spot, so it may have been easier had we known where it can through on the inside.. FYI, it's behind the carpet on the passenger side (If I remember correctly).

Give it a go, its a bitch, but the sub (and amped 6x9s) was totally worth it :) haha
dr390
Mechanic

Post by dr390 »

aytz thanks for the tip man.
hahahah true, they are worth the effort,
hey in your opinion, im deciding whether i should get a signle din dvd player or double din?
Tell me when i stop

bass_twitch
Oldtimer

Post by bass_twitch »

Unfortunately I'm no help there, I've got zero experience with incar DVD players.. just sound.. haha

Happy to help though :)

As you are only 20mins away from where I live I'd offer for you to bring your beast around, but I'm just too swamped with uni atm, if it dies down in a couple weeks and you still haven't done it, I'm happy to lend a hand :)
dr390
Mechanic

Post by dr390 »

nah all good, il tell you how it goes
Tell me when i stop

dr390
Mechanic

Post by dr390 »

i still cant find it man, do you have any pictures where the hole is?, i check on the battery side and there was two holes on the side, and then i checked under the dash on the passenger side still had nothin
Tell me when i stop

bass_twitch
Oldtimer

Post by bass_twitch »

Ok, excuse the dodgy pic (I stole it from google, and then cleverly annotated it.. haha)

the yellow shows the cables that are coming from your engine. Follow them to the rubber seal (which will be about where the red circle is). That is what you have to traverse through.. :) Hope that helps

It is immediately behind the thing that I have circled in red. (which is also conveniently in the way)
dr390
Mechanic

Post by dr390 »

HAHAH thanks man legend. i was tryna look for it today was no hope but il check it out tomorrow..
need to get my subz up ^^, and since you brought it up, i was thinkin of puttin a amp on my 6.9" hmmm
i miss my music bein loud :)
Tell me when i stop

bass_twitch
Oldtimer

Post by bass_twitch »

haha, yeh I amped my 6x9s, I had never done it before.. bloody hell it makes a hell of a difference!! I would definitely recommend it.
Let me know how you go at getting the wire through :) May need to make a small slit in the rubber thing (we just sharpened the coathanger end, it helped :))
dr390
Mechanic

Post by dr390 »

mission accomplished its install, man that rubber thing is a bitch to take off -.- but its done which is the good thing :) just gotta clean it up a bit on the weekend
Tell me when i stop