Mono Block Amp.

This forum discusses anything to do with your In Car Entertainment requirements such as. Stereo's, TV screens, Speakers, Navigation Systems, etc

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Rambo
Grease Monkey
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Mono Block Amp.

Post by Rambo »

just wondering when it comes to mono block amp(sub amp)
im after one to power my new MTX Terminator dual subs with (1200w max power) should a 1000W amp be enough? , and if so should i bother getting a decent one or a one which is on sale you could say, is saying any 1000w amp is 1000w amp, so dosnt matter which one i get..

hope i get some good advice.
koolio1234
Oldtimer

Post by koolio1234 »

Mono blocks are great for subs as they eliminate a lot of the higher frequencies and only let in lower freq. giving you a cleaner bass.

When it comes to power rating, the RMS value is the one to look out for, this is the actual constant power output, when a amp is advertised as 1000W, thats the peak value as in the maximum amount of power it can spike up to.

I would recommend with an amp with at least an RMS value of 500W to be safe. The average 1000W amp will only provide 250-300W
[img]http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww104/thekrevolution/FTOFINALSIGNATUREcopy.png[/img]
pete_gpx
Mechanic

Post by pete_gpx »

koolio1234 wrote:Mono blocks are great for subs as they eliminate a lot of the higher frequencies and only let in lower freq. giving you a cleaner bass.

When it comes to power rating, the RMS value is the one to look out for, this is the actual constant power output, when a amp is advertised as 1000W, thats the peak value as in the maximum amount of power it can spike up to.

I would recommend with an amp with at least an RMS value of 500W to be safe. The average 1000W amp will only provide 250-300W

Low pass filters are tuneable on almost all readily available four and two channel amplifiers. This is not the reason for using a single channel amp to run your subs. The most desirable attribute of a mono block is the high power output, generally due to their class D construction. In fact, your average four channel amp of class AB design would provide 'cleaner' bass due to possessing a higher damping factor, giving a tighter and more responsive throw from the sub. However, four channels amps are generally lower powered units, being less power efficient in nature.

RMS power ratings on an amplifer, especially a single channel, mean nothing unless you are taking your impedance into account as well. It's all well and good to recomend an amp with 'at least an RMS value of 500W', but you have to be able to actually draw that from the unit. Most higher powered mono blocks will advertise an RMS power rated at 1 ohm stable, which sometimes, due to the variables in the system that is being setup, is unobtainable. The number of voice coils entering into the equation need to be taken into account before any amplifier can be suggested.

Provide me with the model numbers of the MTX subwoofers and a buget, (ie. cheapest possible) and I'll recommend a decent amp to run them.
Dras
Mechanic

Post by Dras »

Jaycars range of Response monoblock amps are pretty reasonably and well priced.
Rambo
Grease Monkey

Post by Rambo »

http://www.mtx.com/caraudio/products/en ... NP212D.cfm

theres the specs for the subs i got, the duals specds bottom half of the page, thanks for helping out pete_gpx :)

so from what your saying i need a amp with RNMS of 400w, is it a risk if i go 450 RMS watts, or will the subs take a lot more then reccommended ??

least i know now RMS is main thing to look at when looking into amps ;)
koolio1234
Oldtimer

Post by koolio1234 »

Rambo wrote:http://www.mtx.com/caraudio/products/en ... NP212D.cfm

theres the specs for the subs i got, the duals specds bottom half of the page, thanks for helping out pete_gpx :)

so from what your saying i need a amp with RNMS of 400w, is it a risk if i go 450 RMS watts, or will the subs take a lot more then reccommended ??

least i know now RMS is main thing to look at when looking into amps ;)
You can buy a amp with a higher rms wattage, it'll just go to waste if your sub wont use it, better to have some extra headroon anyway just to be on the safe side.

The mtx sub seems to want 250W @ 2ohm stable

You could get away with using a 2 channel amp or a bridged 4 channel with some decent specs.

If you went with the monoblock route, go for a similar spec amp with 250W RMS @ 2ohm. get a decent brand one like an mtx, clarion, pioneer, jbl,etc

If it ran @ 1ohm it could provide up to 500W rms
[img]http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww104/thekrevolution/FTOFINALSIGNATUREcopy.png[/img]
ftokiwi
Apprentice

Post by ftokiwi »

koolio1234 wrote: You can buy a amp with a higher rms wattage, it'll just go to waste if your sub wont use it
not true(without starting a fight lol) the easiest way to kill a sub is to clip it. over rating an amp and setting it up correctly is the easiest way to ensure this doesnt happen. anyways most good subs will happily take 2-3 times their rated power. my dd9510 is rated is 1500wrms but happily sits on the end of 3kwrms. i have also burped it on 6kwrms and not killed it. the thing to remember is doubling your power does not double your volume. infact the difference from 3kwrms to 6kwrms was only 1.2db in my case and that could have been because the box was tuned differently for that run.
pete_gpx
Mechanic

Post by pete_gpx »

ftokiwi wrote:
koolio1234 wrote: You can buy a amp with a higher rms wattage, it'll just go to waste if your sub wont use it
not true(without starting a fight lol) the easiest way to kill a sub is to clip it. over rating an amp and setting it up correctly is the easiest way to ensure this doesnt happen. anyways most good subs will happily take 2-3 times their rated power. my dd9510 is rated is 1500wrms but happily sits on the end of 3kwrms. i have also burped it on 6kwrms and not killed it. the thing to remember is doubling your power does not double your volume. infact the difference from 3kwrms to 6kwrms was only 1.2db in my case and that could have been because the box was tuned differently for that run.
+1

He speaks the truth.