Stereo upgrade help

This forum discusses anything to do with your In Car Entertainment requirements such as. Stereo's, TV screens, Speakers, Navigation Systems, etc

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Sophia
Mechanic
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Stereo upgrade help

Post by Sophia »

So I have been wanting to upgrade my stereo for quite a while now, the only thing is, I know absolutely nothing about how to do it....
I dont want it to be competition standards, just somthing that I can turn up fairly loud with out it distorting. I would go to a local store but there is only 2 in Hervey Bay and by what Ive herad theyre just out to rip everyone off. :x

I guess I kinda need to know what gear to go with and what kind of setup would suit.... :?: :?:

Any advice would be great, seeing as I dont know anything to begin with.... :roll:
pete_gpx
Mechanic

Post by pete_gpx »

If you give me a dollar value of how much you want to spend, I can work out a full system for you. However, I'm unsure of what brands and the type of gear you have access to up there.

Also, keep in mind, you get what you pay for.

If you're feeling like a road trip... Come up to Toowoomba and I'll be happy to sell you a full system from my work, as well as give you a hand with installation. ;)
FTEvolution
Oldtimer

Post by FTEvolution »

If all you want is some decent sounds just do the following:

MP3 headunit with iPod connector (Sony have them for $180-250)
4 channel amp for front and rear speakers (~$200)
1x pair of 6.5" splits for the front ($100-200)
1x pair of 6x9's for the rear ($100-$200)

$850 tops for then decent sound (branded, but not the best, thinking Sony Xplod which are more than sufficient for normal usage).

If necessary, add a sub, box and amp to run it for maybe another $400.

IMO (and many others) Jaycar offer excellent quality non-branded car audio products and can't be beaten if you want to stick to a very modest budget. If you went to Jaycar you could probably get all of that (INCL. sub/amp) for around $1000 or less.

Installation? Hell I don't know over there, I do it all myself. Perhaps about 6 hours for a good installation? @ $50 per hour that would be about $300.

EDIT!

All I have in my car is a pair of 6.5" 3 way splits in the front (kevlar Pioneer ones, awesome sound) and a sh*tty 10" boxed subwoofer and amp for some boom. The front speakers are awesome (were about $460 when I got them) and give all of the mid-high frequencies I could need, very nice sound quality. The lack of rear speakers isn't an issue unless I have passengers (which isn't often).
[img]http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z285/ftevolution/ftevolution-1.jpg[/img]

Smooth and sleepy

All of lifes problems can be cured with a 6A13TT
Sophia
Mechanic

Post by Sophia »

I think I might stick to headunit I have atm, it seems to be pretty good. And yeah I wouldnt mind a liitle bit of "boom" as ftevoultion said :P

Money wise, as cheap as I can without it being crap, I am willing to spend the extra money where needed but if its not that essential I would rather go cheaper.

Pete_gpx - a road trip sounds like it might be needed...where abouts do you work?
What kind of setups would be not too expensive but still good quality?
nicholas
Veteran Mechanic

Post by nicholas »

This is the list and rough prices of my new stereo system (haven't bought it yet, still planning) just in case you need some ideas:

Front: Boston S60 6" splits - $200 (or maybe SX60 for $300)
Rear: Cheap-ass Pioneer or Kenwood 6x9s - < $100
Sub: Kicker TCVT124 12" shallow-mount sub with box - $300
Amp: Kicker ZX5.700 5 channel amplifier to run fronts, rears and sub - $620
Amp wiring: Aeropro kit - $80
Sound deadening: Dynamat Xtreme bulk pack - $200

In total: roughly $1500

Current concerns for me:
- if I go for the sub, I'll have to sound deaden which may be a pain in the ass (going on other people's experiences)
- if I don't sub, will the 6x9s give enough bass (not at all concerned with playing doof, but I do care about overall sound quality). Also if I don't sub, I can get a much cheaper / smaller amplifier, maybe even one that goes under passenger seat :)
- where to mount the amp and sub (amp is BIG - 52cm long)... thinking of removing spare tyre and fabricating something

Anyways didn't mean to hi-jack your thread, just thought a comparison might help!
Resident Asshole.
Sophia
Mechanic

Post by Sophia »

no dont apologise Nicholas, every single one of your questions is exactly what Im concerned about to.

Never even considered sound deadening though, any info or feedback you get or find out Id love to hear it aswell :D
nicholas
Veteran Mechanic

Post by nicholas »

yeah well i'm keen on it for two reasons - one because I hate rattling cars, and two because I just read a thread where people said that their boots started falling apart after they installed subs lol.

of course they're probably running it a lot louder than I plan for mine, but still puts you off a bit!

anyway soon enough I'll make a decision on it all, and let you guys know how it goes :D
Resident Asshole.
pete_gpx
Mechanic

Post by pete_gpx »

nicholas wrote:This is the list and rough prices of my new stereo system (haven't bought it yet, still planning) just in case you need some ideas:

Current concerns for me:
- if I go for the sub, I'll have to sound deaden which may be a pain in the ass (going on other people's experiences)
- if I don't sub, will the 6x9s give enough bass (not at all concerned with playing doof, but I do care about overall sound quality). Also if I don't sub, I can get a much cheaper / smaller amplifier, maybe even one that goes under passenger seat :)
- where to mount the amp and sub (amp is BIG - 52cm long)... thinking of removing spare tyre and fabricating something

Anyways didn't mean to hi-jack your thread, just thought a comparison might help!
Nick, I wouldn't see you go an 07TCVT124, which is a slimline sub. Although they are an absolutely fantastic slimline sub... They're just that, a fantastic SLIMLINE sub. They will be inferior both in volume and quality to a cheaper, full sized sub with a correctly sized box. I understand the concept of conserving boot space is appealing, but you have to understand what you will be sacrificing to do this.

As far as your amplifier choice is concerned, stick with a four channel if you are worried about both the cost and form factor of the unit. I guarantee you will be absolutely fine with a set of un-amped rear speakers. In fact, most of the larger systems I set up at work utilise fairly low grade rear speakers run straight from the headunit. In such a small cabin like the FTO, the sound you want to be hearing is from your front speakers, ideally a high quality set of splits. Any low end speakers you are attempting to increase the volume of in the rear will actually detract from the overall fidelity of the system.

Grab yourself a reasonably high powered four channel amplifier, using two of the channels to run your front splits while bridging the remaining two to to run your subwoofer of choice. You seem to be hunting more quality then volume, which the lower powered four channel amp will easily provide.

You are deliberating over whether to run a setup with or without a sub. I strongly suggest, if you appreciate sound quality, to spend the extra dollars and choose a sub. A set of 6x9" speakers will give you bass, to some degree. However, due to the cone diameter of the speakers, they can not physically reproduce the low end frequencies that a subwoofer, in a properly set up box, can. A quality sub encased in the right sized box, along with the correctly tuned low pass filter, will brilliantly compliment any selection of high end speakers you choose to run with.

Again, if you are concerned about boot space, I'd suggest choosing a reasonable quality, full sized 10". Although the 10 will not achieve as low a note as a 12", it will require a smaller enclosure.

Sophie, PM me for my number. I'd be happy to have a chat with you over the phone to discuss your options with your system. I say that with the purest of intentions, :P. Also, to answer your question, I work in the Car Audio department at the Toowoomba WOW - Sight and Sound.
FTEvolution wrote: All I have in my car is a pair of 6.5" 3 way splits in the front (kevlar Pioneer ones, awesome sound) and a sh*tty 10" boxed subwoofer and amp for some boom. The front speakers are awesome (were about $460 when I got them) and give all of the mid-high frequencies I could need, very nice sound quality. The lack of rear speakers isn't an issue unless I have passengers (which isn't often).
FTEvolution, I'd be very interested to see some pictures showing the installation of these 3 way splits. I'm considering a set up just like that in my own FTO and am pondering the placement of the second mid-bass driver and crossovers.. Unless that was a typo and you just mean a 2 way split?
Last edited by pete_gpx on Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:09 am, edited 3 times in total.
silverGPX
9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

commission commission commission lol.
pete_gpx
Mechanic

Post by pete_gpx »

silverGPX wrote:commission commission commission lol.
I do not get paid commission.
silverGPX
9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

was just kiddin haha.

Can vouch for pete he knows his sh*t and he will look after you too, saved a couple of my mates around $200 just on one item as the original amp was way too overkill for what they needed.

f**k i hate that scott wanker though he needs a good punch in the face, also sorry havent been stopping on thurs nights as well kinda started some sh*t with the guys in the green and black commo utes lol.

And sorry for hijacking your thread, and ha did you hear about how i scared the sh*t out of rebecca, she thought i stole the bumper!! but its all good now.
Sophia
Mechanic

Post by Sophia »

Matt (silverGPX)- haha nah I didnt hear that :D and sorry I couldnt be of more help the other week when you messaged me :P

Pete- PM sent :D
FTEvolution
Oldtimer

Post by FTEvolution »

nicholas wrote: Current concerns for me:

1, I didn't sound deaden, IMO it is unnecessary unless you are pushing some big SPL.
2, With a decent amp 6x9's are more than sufficient. Put a spacer between the metal of the parcel tray and the speaker rim for a good airtight seal to the boot.
3, I have my amp in the corner of the boot on the RHS where the tyre iron would normally be. Then again, mine is small form factor. Under the seats is also a good spot. Other than that an MDF panel blanking off behind the seats and then mounting it to them is also a good idea.

As for my splits, I used the wrong term sorry, I meant co-axials :S I have 3-way co-axials... SORRY :roll:
[img]http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z285/ftevolution/ftevolution-1.jpg[/img]

Smooth and sleepy

All of lifes problems can be cured with a 6A13TT
nicholas
Veteran Mechanic

Post by nicholas »

nicholas wrote:Anyways didn't mean to hi-jack your thread
Lol. Sorry Sophia :D
pete_gpx wrote:
nicholas wrote:This is the list and rough prices of my new stereo system (haven't bought it yet, still planning) just in case you need some ideas:

Current concerns for me:

Nick, I wouldn't see you go an 07TCVT124, which is a slimline sub. Although they are an absolutely fantastic slimline sub... They're just that, a fantastic SLIMLINE sub. They will be inferior both in volume and quality to a cheaper, full sized sub with a correctly sized box. I understand the concept of conserving boot space is appealing, but you have to understand what you will be sacrificing to do this.

As far as your amplifier choice is concerned, stick with a four channel if you are worried about both the cost and form factor of the unit. I guarantee you will be absolutely fine with a set of un-amped rear speakers. In fact, most of the larger systems I set up at work utilise fairly low grade rear speakers run straight from the headunit. In such a small cabin like the FTO, the sound you want to be hearing is from your front speakers, ideally a high quality set of splits. Any low end speakers you are attempting to increase the volume of in the rear will actually detract from the overall fidelity of the system.

Grab yourself a reasonably high powered four channel amplifier, using two of the channels to run your front splits while bridging the remaining two to to run your subwoofer of choice. You seem to be hunting more quality then volume, which the lower powered four channel amp will easily provide.

You are deliberating over whether to run a setup with or without a sub. I strongly suggest, if you appreciate sound quality, to spend the extra dollars and choose a sub. A set of 6x9" speakers will give you bass, to some degree. However, due to the cone diameter of the speakers, they can not physically reproduce the low end frequencies that a subwoofer, in a properly set up box, can. A quality sub encased in the right sized box, along with the correctly tuned low pass filter, will brilliantly compliment any selection of high end speakers you choose to run with.

Again, if you are concerned about boot space, I'd suggest choosing a reasonable quality, full sized 10". Although the 10 will not achieve as low a note as a 12", it will require a smaller enclosure.

Sophie, PM me for my number. I'd be happy to have a chat with you over the phone to discuss your options with your system. I say that with the purest of intentions, :P. Also, to answer your question, I work in the Car Audio department at the Toowoomba WOW - Sight and Sound.
FTEvolution wrote: All I have in my car is a pair of 6.5" 3 way splits in the front (kevlar Pioneer ones, awesome sound) and a sh*tty 10" boxed subwoofer and amp for some boom. The front speakers are awesome (were about $460 when I got them) and give all of the mid-high frequencies I could need, very nice sound quality. The lack of rear speakers isn't an issue unless I have passengers (which isn't often).
FTEvolution, I'd be very interested to see some pictures showing the installation of these 3 way splits. I'm considering a set up just like that in my own FTO and am pondering the placement of the second mid-bass driver and crossovers.. Unless that was a typo and you just mean a 2 way split?
Thanks Pete, I agree with almost all of the things you're saying + appreciate the advice!

The main reason for the thin sub is that I want it to fit behind the strut brace (i.e. in between the back of the rear seats and the strut brace). Definitely open to a 10" in a better proportioned box though!

Question though... can the sound quality from the sub really be that good if it's in the boot? I know it's low frequency, but still surely it must sound muffled?

So, you're saying this might be a better set-up:
- Fronts - Boston or similar splits of about $300 - $350
- Rears - <$100 (who cares / doesn't matter type speakers lol)
- Amp - good quality 4 channel amp of about $500
- Sub - full-sized 10" sub - $200

Plus sound deadening etc. Sounds good :D
Resident Asshole.
ftokiwi
Apprentice

Post by ftokiwi »

A good hu (alpine 9835-55/ pioneer p90 etc) with a good set of components up front, amped if possible and a 10'sub. while i am picky with my subs personally, in all honesty almost any sub in a well built and designed box will do the trick.