Boston V Kicker V JL

This forum discusses anything to do with your In Car Entertainment requirements such as. Stereo's, TV screens, Speakers, Navigation Systems, etc

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

nicholas
Veteran Mechanic
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Boston V Kicker V JL

Post by nicholas »

Hey guys,

So you might have read, i'm working out a new stereo.

Quick question - do Boston make good amps? I know they make good splits...

Trying to decide between an amp from Kicker, Boston and JL Audio... help please! :D

Thinking of one of these three:
http://www.soundmaster.com.au/Boston-GT ... GTA504.asp
http://www.soundmaster.com.au/Kicker-ZX ... ZX3504.asp
http://www.soundmaster.com.au/JL-Audio- ... /G4500.asp

Thanks guys.
Resident Asshole.
ftokiwi
Apprentice

Post by ftokiwi »

boston do make good amps but so does almost everyone. most amps are class a/b and after years of playing with PG, alpine, pioneer, boston, sound magus, earthquake, old skool sherwoods and to many others to remember or list ive realised this- an amp is an amp. unless your going class A, 99% of the time it doest matter what you get. a more important question might be what hu and speakers could i use?
Rambo
Grease Monkey

Post by Rambo »

i got the kick 4 channel amp there, goes good :)
nicholas
Veteran Mechanic

Post by nicholas »

Thanks guys, awesome. I'll just make a random impulsive decision between the three when I get to the shop then :D
Resident Asshole.
pete_gpx
Mechanic

Post by pete_gpx »

ftokiwi wrote:boston do make good amps but so does almost everyone. most amps are class a/b and after years of playing with PG, alpine, pioneer, boston, sound magus, earthquake, old skool sherwoods and to many others to remember or list ive realised this- an amp is an amp. unless your going class A, 99% of the time it doest matter what you get. a more important question might be what hu and speakers could i use?
I've changed my mind on this guy. Don't listen to him.

So many things influence the sound quality an amp produces... If you can't notice the difference between Sound Magus (Option Audio) and some of the other brands you have listed, then you are a little lost when it comes to the world of car audio.

Nick, all three of those amplifiers you have listed are of a good breed. Personal opinion on my part, having dealt with a fair bit of the gear in store, is that JL Audio is a tad overpriced for what it is. The sound quality produced by both their speakers and amplifiers in the lower end series (what you are looking at) leaves a little to be desired when compared to similarly priced products. I'll be honest and say that I have never heard any Boston Acoustics gear in action and my opinions would only be based upon second hand information. Kicker make great amps, producing really decent sound for the money that is spent on them. My recommendation would be to take a look at some Infinity amplifiers in their reference series, as well as the PA series in Polk Audio, which is my personal favorite in value for sound quality.
nicholas
Veteran Mechanic

Post by nicholas »

Heh. Thanks man.

Went for the Kicker, picking it up this weekend.
Resident Asshole.
pete_gpx
Mechanic

Post by pete_gpx »

Good stuff. :thumleft:
mz_madz
Grease Monkey

Post by mz_madz »

I'm running boston splits off a kicker .. good choice :)
nicholas
Veteran Mechanic

Post by nicholas »

Thanks guys,

Gonna try the ZX350.4 with front 2ch running Boston SR60 and rear two bridged to run a 12" Kicker sub (TCVT124).

But running 4GA into the boot just in case I feel the need for more bass power later :D
Resident Asshole.
brad_gpx
Veteran Mechanic

Post by brad_gpx »

did you test it out first to see if it was the sound you wanted?
Robbie
Mechanic

Post by Robbie »

Don't quote me on this, but I think I remeber hearing that while the kicker amps that we have shipped over here are great, we don't get the whole kicker range that the US does and there are even better ones over there.
Or was it there speakers... ? :scratch:
either way, KICKER = :thumleft:

Rock on :hb:
MCA Garage: http://www.mitsubishiclubaustralia.com/forums/garage.php?mode=view_vehicle&CID=1242
nicholas
Veteran Mechanic

Post by nicholas »

brad_gpx wrote:did you test it out first to see if it was the sound you wanted?
Nope. Don't have time for that sort of b/s. did my research, read a lot of reviews and for me, that is good enough lol
Resident Asshole.