How do you mount your sub?

This forum discusses anything to do with your In Car Entertainment requirements such as. Stereo's, TV screens, Speakers, Navigation Systems, etc

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

FTEvolution
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Re: How do you mount your sub?

Post by FTEvolution »

Nicholas, what's the deal with that sub? It *looks* like a long throw sub (as in lots of cone excursion) but it looks really close to your strut brace... is it just a trick of the picture? How much space you got?

I am still a fan of the basket out configuration...

[img]http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z285/ftevolution/ftevolution-1.jpg[/img]

Smooth and sleepy

All of lifes problems can be cured with a 6A13TT
silverGPX
9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

Well update on this, i plugged my sub back in and not having listened to it for a while and getting used to just speakers, i have to come to the conclusion that the sub sounds like absolute balls and i wont be having a sub lol.

Just keeping the Infinity 4 channel, with the Polk audio splits at the front, the back speakers are blown so ill get some Polk 6x9's this pay.

Thinking about maybe getting a 10inch just to punch through the 60 to 80hz range but id have to get a new amp and sub and box. so :?
pete_gpx
Mechanic

Post by pete_gpx »

Leave the rears un-amped and bridge two of the channels from that Infinity 4 channel to run a subwoofer. I can show you some very nice 10" subs at work that don't need a whole lot of power to get going.
brent88
Mechanic

Post by brent88 »

im replacing my 6*9's with 6 inch speakers in the back plastic things so i can take the pressure outta the boot, have it flow in the cabin.

doing this wil mean that i have the front and rear speakers the same size and much the same output and sound quality so i can change the eq accordingly to give the speakers even more bass to compliment the subs

my fronts are amed by their own 600w rocford fosgate amp but the rears are better left to the head unit which allows a lot of balance and fader contorl anyway mine even lets u chopose how much sound u wabnt to go in each speaker by letting u enter what size the speaker is and how far awway from the driver it is so u can ascertain perfect balanced sound from all speakers
silverGPX
9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

One of the rear is blown though, it doesnt work at all, sounds kinda *~delightful!~*, i found some Infinity Kappa Series 6x9's on firesport i was going to buy for $70.

Im pretty sure infinity is a good brand. The sub rattled the boot as well :S

However on a positive note i got the splits sounding good finally, so many goddamn settings to go thru.
silverGPX
9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

All in all im steering away from getting a sub for a while. But when i do ill get a 10inch.
nicholas
Veteran Mechanic

Post by nicholas »

silverGPX wrote:What kind of bass are you getting from that slimline box? Is it decent nicholas? Im not after head stomping bass,
after Sound Quality in this setup.
Sorry for the late reply mate, have been away for a while. The bass *quality* is fantastic, as you would expect from Kicker gear. The limiting factor isn't the sub itself, it is the amp. It's a 350.4 amp which means there is only 175 watts driving the 200 watt amp so it is a bit underpowered. The danger as I understand it is that you can overdrive the amp (if you try turn it up too loud to get more bass) which will clip the signal which is bad for the sub (i.e. early deterioration).

But at the end of the day if I turned it up anymore I"d have to put up with too much panel vibration that FTOs are famous for so I'm very happy with the middle-of-the-road approach =)
Resident Asshole.
nicholas
Veteran Mechanic

Post by nicholas »

Rambo wrote:
nicholas wrote:
bass boost 0??
turn it up just a bit, you do have a kicker sub after all (:
Haha this was when I was still tuning it all up. It's now on about 60% =)
Resident Asshole.
nicholas
Veteran Mechanic

Post by nicholas »

FTEvolution wrote:Nicholas, what's the deal with that sub? It *looks* like a long throw sub (as in lots of cone excursion) but it looks really close to your strut brace... is it just a trick of the picture? How much space you got?

I am still a fan of the basket out configuration...

THere is just enough room dude. Probably an inch or two at max. But as I said above, the sub itself is underpowered so not being driven as hard as it could be... so yeah no real problems there :)
Resident Asshole.