Where do you mount your tweeters and crossovers.

This forum discusses anything to do with your In Car Entertainment requirements such as. Stereo's, TV screens, Speakers, Navigation Systems, etc

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

silverGPX
9.5"
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Where do you mount your tweeters and crossovers.

Post by silverGPX »

Just bought some polk DB6501 front splits, going to be amped by an infinity amp. But just wondering where the hell am i going to mount my crossovers and tweeters. (dont mind throwing the crossovers behind the kickpanels if need be.)

Any Ideas?
What have you guys done?

Polk Speakers
Db6501

I was sorta thinking about here.

I wouldnt be taking them back out when selling the car so dont worry about dash holes etc. Well actually worry about it as i want it to work out the first time lol.

What do you guys think?

I was going to put it on the triangle on the door but its not facing the driver or anything and i find at the place in the picture its angled accross the driver and passenger on both left and right tweeters.

Also does the panel on the side of the dash come off? the part that the door normally hides
bduffman
Oldtimer

Re: Where do you mount your tweeters and crossovers.

Post by bduffman »

Normal spot would be a piller or high on the door if it was me ild put them in the a piller prob at the top but it all depends on personal preference get some double sided tape and play around with positions
Slinky-minky
Grease Monkey

Post by Slinky-minky »

See where I meant he'd put the crossovers SilverGPX, and the crossovers although not in this picture, it's on the plastic section above the cloth section where the door lever is. Sounds great to, because it's more directional toward the passenger/driver.

Where did you say that you put your tweeters?
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

the stock tweeters are mounted inside the cloth piece above the aircon vent.. try taking that piece out & you should see a spot to mount some tweeters.. if you want them raised up, or more directly facing you, then you could quite easily have them propped up & peeking out of the top.. would be an ideal spot for them I think .. mine are in the top most corner of the door near the dash though & they look like they're meant to be there..
bduffman
Oldtimer

Post by bduffman »

Do not mount in stock spot as stated aim them towards the centre other wise I wouldn't waste your time putting them in ,
option 1 place in a piller either top or bottem
Option 2 place in door towards the vent
Option 3 take the stock cover piece off glass over the cloth build attach tweeter cut duraglass it in
Option 4 give up and don't run splits
brent88
Mechanic

Post by brent88 »

if your kit is good ull get a flush mount for your tweeter and they look really good flush mounted(takes more time) very close to the top of the door, tweeters can be directional (mine was) so read instructions. looks like there meant to be there only problem is crossovers are mounted right at the bottom of the door decurley with nuts n bolts near paper tray. looks excelent but sometimes smack my foot agasint them(take extra time to mount the crossovers so they wont be going anywhere coz it will take u longer to take the whole door trim off again)
silverGPX
9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

Update: I just screwed them into near the tops of the doors, they look pretty good, might flush mount them when i get access to a holesaw. Cant see any wires or anything so looks really neat! :D
brent88
Mechanic

Post by brent88 »

i used a 10 mm drill bit and then i used a soldering iron to make the holes to flush mount the tweeters lol
bduffman
Oldtimer

Post by bduffman »

Well I was playing around in my car the other day and if I was to do it ild put them on the plastic triangle part just above the door sorta where a normal mirror would be mounted they clip off and on pretty easy just take them of fab them up put them back on
Could take as long as you want as the covers do nothing I think they would look good there
silverGPX
9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

I was thinking there too but the diameter of the tweeter is a lot bigger, and they dont actually face you.
bduffman
Oldtimer

Post by bduffman »

hence y i said fab not screw
nicholas
Veteran Mechanic

Post by nicholas »

I've mounted mine in the plastic triangle at the top of the door. It sounds exceptionally good.

I bought boston SR60s and they come with an angle-mounted bucket and a flush mount. Using the angle mounted upside down, you can point the tweeters right at you which is excellent. It looks really good too; as previously mentioned you just route the speaker cable up through the door trim and to the back of the plastic triangle and you can't see any wires once fully fitted. I'll take pictures if I can remember / be bothered.

For the cross overs, behind the kick panels is pretty tight. On the passenger side, I mounted mine behind the glove box vertically. There is enough room behind the glove box for about 2" - 3" of crossover box. On the drivers side, I mounted the crossover up underneath the steering wheel. It basically just sits in the plastic housing underneath the steering wheel; there is a metal bar there too so if you put it in behind that, it won't come out and you don't need to use double sided tape or anything to hold it in.

Final piece of advice - get the staging right with your tweeters because to my ears that makes the single biggest piece of difference between a good sound and a great sound.
Resident Asshole.
silverGPX
9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

i just through my crossovers in the massive space behind the stereo