Upgrading my sound system, newb questions.

This forum discusses anything to do with your In Car Entertainment requirements such as. Stereo's, TV screens, Speakers, Navigation Systems, etc

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Linkzor
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Upgrading my sound system, newb questions.

Post by Linkzor »

Gday I've saved up about NZ$300 to spend on upgrading my sound system.

Got some newbie questions first.

1. Are the factory door speakers 6" or 6.5"? Would either size fit? Do I need to make a custom adapter plate to fit them in?

2. The previous owner installed a JVC KD-G646 head unit. I can't find any reviews, anyone know if it's half decent? Specs here - http://www.jvc-australia.com/JVCstores/ ... 080328.pdf

3. What are your thoughts on these speakers? I'm welcome to alternatives too.
http://www.etechnology.co.nz/boschmann- ... 67475.html
http://www.etechnology.co.nz/boschmann- ... 96523.html

4. Would those speakers go well with this sub/amp (http://www.dse.co.nz/dse.shop/4bf481de0 ... iew/LA3217) and my current head unit?
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Re: Upgrading my sound system, newb questions.

Post by mr-charisma »

Not being rude, but $300?? Don't even bother .. Stock speakers and amp will be better than anything you'd get for that money..

Buy yourself an iPod to use while driving instead ;)
brent88
Mechanic

Post by brent88 »

pretty sure fronts are 6 inch coz my 6 and ahalf's were a custom fit.

300 aint much but if thats all keep ya old head unit hopefully it has either mp3, usb, aux, ipod or all of them. if not the worst kenwood head units that can play mp3 can be found at supercheap.

so uve got 200-300 left

leave the rear 6*9's as they are ussualy have more base anyway and get a pair of the best front 6.5" splits.
because u dont have a sub u dont want 'bright' front speakers hertz energy series sound really good and with splits u can adjust the tweeter, with the hertz splits u get 4 different types of mount + u have the factory mount (those vent looking things on the dash at either side(bad position though)

good luck
silverGPX
9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

Have a look at the response gear commonly found by jaycar, fits your budget better. Dont buy fusion gear, i think i blew two of their speakers in my shitbox car, and my mate has blown three in his shitbox car lol
brent88
Mechanic

Post by brent88 »

from what ive heard fusion used to b good once upon a time, but now are sh*t, have also heard the same about pioneer that there crap now compared to what they used to be. but itsw not the brand that matters the most its what model u get, u can buy 12" rockford subs for $100 at autobarn and supercheap (prime series) but have heard their utter crap even though the brand name is 1 of the best.

look at the specs. not only the peak power but the rms is more important
brad_gpx
Veteran Mechanic

Post by brad_gpx »

you get what you pay for

and for $300 you will sh*t, so i suggest you wait a little longer

most importantly make sure you get to here what you want before you purchase it with the type of music you want to listen to
i.e just because you here a speaker sounds amazing playing accoustic music doesnt mean it will sound good playing hardcore, rock, etc
bduffman
Oldtimer

Post by bduffman »

do you want bass or clear music
good set of splits up front will make it clear but all depends on the speakers that are in the front already or in the rear if any are stock paper cone replace them first as they will be the worst sounding try some online audio shops as there normaly cheaper
as for the ipod or even a mp3 player, if you do own one you can use a audio jack or your usb to plug into it you dont have to buy every thing at once if you have $300 get a good set of speakers then next time you save more buy another good set then you will have all good sets then you can work on getting a sub and amps

fuson upper end of stuff is alright lower end stuff is sh*t
sony is sh*t
alpines good
hertz good
focus good
kicker ( boomy but good )
avoid any thing sold at a car shop buy from a car audio place or online
brent88
Mechanic

Post by brent88 »

yea agree with everything bduffman although think alpine are wayyyy overrated, know some1 who has a good model alpine with ipod and everything and its menu's arnt well set out, all the eq setting take many buttons to acces. there still good but for the price........

good model kenwood and hertz stuff is good and cant go wrong high end clarion is suppoed to b pretty good though( have installed low end subs and they sound shite) but u get what ya pay 4
aza013
NSW Coordinator

Post by aza013 »

Best thing to do is go to the shop listen to what is there and get what sounds good to you, as everyone has diferent opinions on what is best.
Don't worry about brand names.
brad_gpx
Veteran Mechanic

Post by brad_gpx »

bduffman wrote:do you want bass or clear music
good set of splits up front will make it clear but all depends on the speakers that are in the front already or in the rear if any are stock paper cone replace them first as they will be the worst sounding try some online audio shops as there normaly cheaper
as for the ipod or even a mp3 player, if you do own one you can use a audio jack or your usb to plug into it you dont have to buy every thing at once if you have $300 get a good set of speakers then next time you save more buy another good set then you will have all good sets then you can work on getting a sub and amps

fuson upper end of stuff is alright lower end stuff is sh*t
sony is sh*t
alpines good
hertz good
focus good
kicker ( boomy but good )
avoid any thing sold at a car shop buy from a car audio place or online

you cant by sound systems bit by bit
if you do
then you have to know what exactly what you want to buy for everythign so that when you buy your first thing you know the make and model of your last thing

thats if you want your sound to be top quality anyway

aza013 wrote:Best thing to do is go to the shop listen to what is there and get what sounds good to you, as everyone has diferent opinions on what is best.
Don't worry about brand names.
+1 just make sure you get to hear the music you like through it
silverGPX
9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

Most the time the sound system boards in shops sound wayyy different to what it sounds like in a car anyway. So thats useless.
FTEvolution
Oldtimer

Post by FTEvolution »

If you want bargains goto Jaycar, steer well clear of Boschmann! Jaycar's Response brand always rate very highly in Hot4's audio reviews and punch well above their class.

As for JVC head units; I just brought one from JB HiFi for $119 NZ, and although the build quality is terrible, it sounds fantastic with the BMW standard speaker system. That brings me to believing that it is the speaker system that has the biggest impact on car audio. Unfortunately FTO's have really sh*tty acoustics and the doors especially are terrible. I have a set of kevlar cone competition Pioneer coaxials in my doors and they sound horribad; granted they aren't amplified, but they shouldn't have to be.

In short, your stereo should be fine if it does what you want it to do, IMO go and buy a good pair of 6x9's for your $300; best bang for buck. Other than that simply go for a sub+amp with whatever you already got.

EDIT!

That head unit is far better than mine so I believe that with a decent set of speakers you will have no problem getting a nice clean crisp system. Just do it right, perhaps some DIY speaker mounts and especially so for the doors.
[img]http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z285/ftevolution/ftevolution-1.jpg[/img]

Smooth and sleepy

All of lifes problems can be cured with a 6A13TT