Is this an okay set up for the cost?:

This forum discusses anything to do with your In Car Entertainment requirements such as. Stereo's, TV screens, Speakers, Navigation Systems, etc

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

FTO84
Grease Monkey
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Is this an okay set up for the cost?:

Post by FTO84 »

Headunit:

PIONEER CD/MP3/WMA TUNER 4X50W AUX 1PREOUT (2V)
https://shop.1wow.com.au/productcart/pc ... oduct=9951

Fronts:

KENWOOD 6" 3-WAY, PP MICA|180W PEAK SPEAKER
https://shop.1wow.com.au/productcart/pc ... oduct=4762

or

FUSION ENCOUNTER 6.5" 3-WAY 200W SPEAKERS
https://shop.1wow.com.au/productcart/pc ... oduct=6572

Rears:

Kenwood KFCM6932A 6x9" Speakers
https://shop.1wow.com.au/productcart/pc ... roduct=735
or

FUSION ENCOUNTER 6x9" 3-WAY SPEAKERS 260W
https://shop.1wow.com.au/productcart/pc ... oduct=3579

I really don't need over the top volume or bass, so am passing the sub. Just want a decent quality balanced sound.

Input appreciated
brent88
Mechanic

Re: Is this an okay set up for the cost?:

Post by brent88 »

headunit ok and is good that ya got a remote(for $130 i got a clarion from repco with usb but dosent look as nice) id spend the extra and get usb, i brought a 8g usb stick for $17

fronts are a good price but though their 180w peak there only 35rms, have u considered splits? they will cost more though but if u want decent quality sound itd be excelent because u can control the volume of the tweeter on the crossover. the fusions have a 55w rms which is a lot better but i hvae installed the newer style fusion stuff and it waas pretty average.

as for the rears the kenwoods sound better but its good toi keep everything the same

i think the most important out of all this is the Head unit. when i did my system 1 of the last things i changed waa my head unit and the improvment of sound quality was amazing, fair enough i did go from a pioneer cd polayer to a $500 kenwood that had 4vline preout, 64 colour, aux, ipod ready, usb, bluetooth handsfree with mic
pete_gpx
Mechanic

Post by pete_gpx »

PM me your phone number. I'll be happy to call you from work tomorrow and discuss a system with you. Give me a budget and I can go from there.

I would not personally use any of the products you have listed, but good on you for having a go.

Also, disregard any 'advice' this Brent guy gives out.
Kustom
Oldtimer

Post by Kustom »

+1 on Listening to pete :lol:
Taz wrote:When funds allow
brent88
Mechanic

Post by brent88 »

huh what part? if he is looking at speakers for like under $70 then he is on a budget and they seem pretty good for the price
pete_gpx
Mechanic

Post by pete_gpx »

Just leave the thread, Brent.
brent88
Mechanic

Post by brent88 »

what would make some1 like think your better than me? haha we got a fkn comedian
Slinky-minky
Grease Monkey

Post by Slinky-minky »

Pete isn't that a bit harsh??? Brenton wasn't being rude (unlike you) and he was offering constructive criticism (as were you) You were both offering advice based on the question that was asked by FTO84. Honestly if I was FTO84 I'd be a little pissed that someone marched in and tried to kick people off of my thread, I think FTO84 should be allowed as much advice as he can get, it's a big decision choosing the right sound system.

FTO84- I have been doing a bit of research on sound systems myself (I'm getting a new car in a few weeks, and I'm trying to select products and budget it in with the cost of my new car) As you can probably appreciate a car just isn't a car without a rocking sound system to compliment it, personally I get bored without music. I've done a bit on internet research and I know people who work in car audio so I've been asking lots of questions to them lately.

So this is what I think:
AUX & USB- Personally myself LOVE IT! Forget CD's, it's to much of a hassle changing CDs in peak hour traffic and it's dangerous, and like Brenton said large USB's are getting cheaper. When you factor in the cost of buying cd's (blank or prerecorded) vs the cost of a large USB it's cheaper to buy a USB and DL your music....also digital music doesn't get scratched and skip :P

Bluetooth- It jacks the price of the head unit up a little but that way you won't miss calls cos you can answer the phone then pull over without missing it or having to go searching for your phone in the console/pocket/bag.

Headunit- I agree with Brenton there, a good HU is paramount. Something stylish cos face you, you're going to see it everyday, and also something with changable EQ settings, don't get something that doesn't have mostly everything you want and you like the style. Also I know you said you weren't going to get a sub but later on if you decided to I find the changed sub settings great, makes it sooo easy when you have parents, older people, kids or basically anyone who doesn't like or shouldn't be listening to a real bassy loud sub, so you can turn it down easily.

Speakers- One of my friends doesn't have a sub but she has the most kick arse speakers ever! So if you have good speakers and a good HU you really shouldn't need a sub for it to sound awesome! As I said I have a few friends that work in car audio and are boarding on obsessive compulsive with their car audio, and they literally RAVE about the Hertz range, like it's the best thing since sliced bread, also I love the sound you get from having external tweeters, personally myself I think it sounds awesome, adds style and makes the system look damn expensive.

As for what Pete_GPX said about Brenton's advice, I would ignore his BIAS and UNFOUNDED 'advice' to ignore Brenton's suggestions, personally myself I can't see why you'd want to limit your advice to one person, even if Pete was an expert on the matter, which I doubt he is (not that I know what he does for a living, or has in the past) I think the more opinions the better, because everyone has different ideas of awesome, and his taste might be different to yours. Oh and by the way, Brenton's not that bad with car stereos, up til now I've always had Brenton install them for me, and help me pick, and I have NEVER been disappointed. My BMW I have at the moment, he transformed that from super Granny car to not so grandma P Platers car on a very small budget for me, and even now once I've increased my knowledge about stereo systems, and cars in general from knowing less then nothing about cars to knowing a bit I'm still going to rake him into helping me with it (Too bad if he didn't already know it :P )

Anyways heaps of luck with the new system, let me know what you get (Defiantly interested) and I say you can never have to many friends :P

cheers
Chantalle
aza013
NSW Coordinator

Post by aza013 »

Pete and Brenton you both need to cool off. There is no need to atack eachother.
A question was asked and every one has the right to post an answer to it.
pete_gpx
Mechanic

Post by pete_gpx »

aza013 wrote:Pete and Brenton you both need to cool off. There is no need to atack eachother.
A question was asked and every one has the right to post an answer to it.
Sorry Aza. Everyone does have the right to respond to a thread. However, the car audio industry is absolutely wrought with self taught know-it-alls who believe after twisting and taping a headunit into a car or two, they are an expert. It is these people that, with very limited knowledge, feel they have the experience to instruct others on the correct gear to purchase and the way to install it. Not a jab at Brent, here, just my experience in the field, dealing with these kinds of people every day.

As stated, misinformation is a popular currency between these people, and this incorrect information they sprout spreads like a plague, passing from person to person, infecting people with phrases such as "my mate told me that..." and "I read on a forum somewhere that..."

Seeing this kind of self perpetuating car audio illiteracy does get a bit of a rise out of me. I apoligise if I came off a bit harsh.

Honestly though, I can see from Brent's posts, both in this thread and others, that he has relatively limited knowledge on the subject at hand.
fronts are a good price but though their 180w peak there only 35rms, have you considered splits? they will cost more though but if you want decent quality sound itd be excelent because you can control the volume of the tweeter on the crossover. the fusions have a 55w rms which is a lot better but i hvae installed the newer style fusion stuff and it waas pretty average.
More power does not mean better sound quality, in fact it does not even necessarily mean more volume. If FTO-84 here is on a tight budget, he will not be making use of an amplifier. Any generic headunit, unless specifically designed to do otherwise, as some Alpines are, will be putting out a bit less then 20 watts RMS. A high powered set of speakers is not a necessity, by any means, as their true potential will never be reached. Instead, it would be worth doing a little research and putting the available power to the most use by grabbing a set of lower powered speakers that posses a sensitive voice coil, producing more volume at lower power ratings. Also, not all splits have adjustable crossovers to control the volume level of the tweeters. In fact, most cheaper splits, manufactured by reputable brands, do not have this feature.
as for the rears the kenwoods sound better but its good toi keep everything the same
I agree with you that those Kenwoods will produce a much cleaner sound then the listed Fusions. However, keeping the entire system restrained to a single brand will yield absolutely no benefit at all. Buying what is good value at the time is key to setting up a decent system on the cheap. Spending the extra dollars simply to match the brands of all the involved items is pointless.
i think the most important out of all this is the Head unit.
True, in the sense that he is best to select a unit now that fits in both with his budget but also suits his current needs. Any unit he is looking at in a decent brand, sub $500 will give him much the same sound quality as the next, without taking amplifiers into account. It is the feature list, tunability and visuals that will be most important for him right now.

I suggest taking a look at the DEH3100UB, which is a run out model from Pioneer and can be had for sub $200 at the moment. It has a front facing USB port, which is compatible with mass storage units up to 120gb and can also read iPods/iPhones (with charging capabilities too.) It has all the standard bells and whistles, being able to play MP3 discs etc. although an important feature that is uncommon on a unit in its price range is the presence of dual RCA pre-outs. This allows for the easy connection and tuning of amplifiers in the future, depending on your needs.

Anyway, like I said, send me a PM with your number. I'd be happy to take 10 minutes at work tomorrow to give you a call and discuss specifics with you. I should be able to sneak a decent FTO club discount passed my manager as well, although that will depend on the items you end up deciding on. :lol:
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

The way I see it, buying sound gear is the same concept as buying a computer .. I wouldn't recommend a ridiculously overspecced gaming PC if you tell me you're only interested in using word & browsing the net ..
Firstly, we need to know;
What is your budget? - you need to decide on a budget for the whole set up & try to stick with it as best you can.. at the moment you seem to be around the sub $300 mark for your whole kit & kaboodle, which IMO you might as well keep the stock sound system.. or just put it towards the head unit for now..
What results are you after? - Just word processing & facebook, or are you a hardcore gamer? :P

Also, I recommend putting everything in at the same time, or at least wiring up the head unit for future upgrades you're planning .. i.e. spend a little more on a decent head unit, but run decent speaker wire to the stock speakers, cable it up for an amp, subs etc .. saves you having to pull everything back out when you decide to get better speakers, amp / subs etc later on ;)

The best advice anyone could give you is to go out & listen to some really high end sound systems - already installed in cars is a must .. not sure where in Brissy you are, but take yourself down to Northfield Car Sound @ Moorooka .. or one of their other stores closer by.. they normally have a few really nice high end demo cars to listen to - this is just to give you a point of reference .. it's just no use going into WOW Sight & Sound, or JB HiFi and listening to the speakers they have on their walls when you have nothing to compare it to besides your dogged 15 y.o speakers - anything is going to sound better when they've got it amped up like a gorilla on steroids.. not to mention that speakers on a wall with all the rest of the noise going on in the store etc give you no clue of what they will actually sound like when they go in your car.. even the demo cars are a poor substitute, as the acoustics & sound properties of each car can be wildly different

A good idea is to take a CD of your own with your favourite music that you listen to all the time .. it's easier to tell the sound quality differences that way .. you might even be surprised how much better it sounds!

Another benefit is that at a proper car audio shop you can usually get them to give you a demo of how the speakers go when running directly off the head unit power if you're not going to buy an amp

Once you've heard a few .. try to listen to at least a half dozen or more.. you'll be in a better position to decide what kind of results you want to get..

You don't need to go crazy on how much you spend, but you really do get what you pay for with cheaper gear .. look at it from the manufacturers point of view .. you're offering a speaker set for $50 - what sort of quality would you put into the product?

For me, the most important thing is sound quality .. and you won't get the best SQ from MP3's .. CD's are the best option .. next to that would be FLAC files;
(FLAC stands for Free Lossless Audio Codec, an audio format similar to MP3, but lossless, meaning that audio is compressed in FLAC without any loss in quality.)
Unless you're running your car audio off of a CD Walkman from the 80's, tracks skipping is the least of your worries

And they lived happily ever after.
The End. :lol:
pete_gpx
Mechanic

Post by pete_gpx »

Agree 100% with the above post. Very constructive advice, especially this;
For me, the most important thing is sound quality .. and you won't get the best SQ from MP3's .. CD's are the best option .. next to that would be FLAC files;
(FLAC stands for Free Lossless Audio Codec, an audio format similar to MP3, but lossless, meaning that audio is compressed in FLAC without any loss in quality.)
Unless you're running your car audio off of a CD Walkman from the 80's, tracks skipping is the least of your worries
The lack of affordable brand name units that support FLAC is quite unfortunate, since it remains one of the simplest ways to achieve CD quality audio on mass storage devices. So many people splash out big on a sound system, only to treat it to poorly copied, 128k MP3 files day in and day out.

I wholeheartedly agree with bringing some of your own music (in a decent, good quality audio format) into the store to test speakers sets, however the quality difference between WOW's sound board and a correct install in a car is quite staggering. Quite often the speakers in our board, due to the size of the room, quality of the wiring used and space behind where the speakers are mounted make them sound quite terrible.
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

Agreed, most shops I've been to are wired up pretty hopelessly and it's usually not the fault of the staff working in the Car Audio dept but their managers who won't let them fix it up - or they move the store around so often it's near impossible to keep it wired up correctly

it's really difficult to find someone in one of those kind've stores that really know what they're talking about, but the good ones are really passionate about it & will talk your ears off for hours if you let them .. they're the types that actually go home & research everything there is to know about things & usually actually install the equipment as well, not just sell it.. good indication is if they pass over other customers while you're there just to give you a good understanding of the products & doesn't just seem to push the most expensive products at you wehn you say you want quality sounding stuff, then IMO they're worth giving your business..

To be safe, check out a website like www.caraudioaustralia.com (Mobile Electronics Australia) for reviews / second opinions on the equipment you choose before you buy it ;) .. there's a lot of 'audiophile' wankers on there that will tell you not to bother unless you get a HU with a bazillion band graphic EQ & 10 bazillion band parametric EQ's etc etc but just ignore them & you'll do fine

FLAC isn't really a mainstream format, so it's unfortunate, but understandable .. I wouldn't even bother with a FLAC compatible head unit, just a decent head unit connected to a car PC is enough
Slinky-minky
Grease Monkey

Post by Slinky-minky »

Would you really say that CD is better quality than digital MP3 format?? I've never heard anything done in FLAC so I can't judge the sound quality on that but I honestly think that the digital MP3 sounds cleaner and more crisp than CD, just because CD's get scratched to often in cars, they skip, they jump, the laser in your CD player can get screwed/dirty and then will refuse to play CDs. (My HU in my old Lancer screwed up 3 days after the Victorian bush fires last February...the culprit a dirty and scratched laser however not having a CD player doesn't seem to bother my mum) if you download a good quality clean version of your fave song off LimeWire or other DL programme, you can get tracks that are CD quality but in a digital format.

And a little USB stick is much easier to cart around than a big folder full of 100 CDs :P
silverGPX
9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

yea the mp3 has to be at least 320k to sound decent imo. I still dont know what 6x9s to get pete, those polks dont seem to handle metal and hardcore metal music at volume, they sound good with pop, drum and bass and techno though, i have to keep on chopping and changing the eq and low pass filters. I think maybe i need the sub after all as im sacrificing volume to get added bass, they are clear highs and midd though, but it sorta hurts your ears.
phunkydude
Veteran Mechanic

Post by phunkydude »

loseless is overkill considering this is car audio (unless you love to stay inside your FTO, enjoying your music in garage)
i bet he didn't even play loseless from his home/pc audio. A 320k proper ripped mp3 would suffice as the source. i'd pick cd audio quality anyday though.

i'd suggest you put all your budget on a decent front pair of splits and get it amp'ed.
ignore the rear & the fancy/feature-packed hu, those are secondary if SQ is your current priority with limited budget.
pete_gpx
Mechanic

Post by pete_gpx »

silverGPX wrote:yea the mp3 has to be at least 320k to sound decent imo. I still dont know what 6x9s to get pete, those polks dont seem to handle metal and hardcore metal music at volume, they sound good with pop, drum and bass and techno though, i have to keep on chopping and changing the eq and low pass filters. I think maybe i need the sub after all as im sacrificing volume to get added bass, they are clear highs and midd though, but it sorta hurts your ears.
I'll have a look at it. Of course your EQ is going to need to be different for techno when changing from metal. Completely different focus. Why do you have a low pass filter set up when you're just running those splits? If the top end is too sharp for you during rock music, open up the EQ on the Sony and drop a few DB off the top end. Also make sure the artificial top end restoration feature (DM+) is turned off, as it boosts the high end frequencies up during playback of MP3 files.

Also, the 6x9s will produce some lower frequencies and handle a bit more bass thrown at them due to the cone size. Have a listen to mine in my FTO (I have the MM series Polk 6x9s) just running from the same headunit you have.
silverGPX
9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

yeah the DM+ is turned off, there is also DSO, and it has 3 levels should this be turned off. Whats it for?

And about the low pass filter i meant the low frequency cut off on the headunit, for the rear speakers i set it to 80hz sometimes even 100hz with techno. The fronts dont have the cut off on as i loose to much low frequencies and it doesnt sound too good, just really tinny. Argh! it just keeps on distorting, and i only get it to sound good sometimes, ha i need some help man.

But just cos there the most expensive at wow does that mean there the best? I want the 6x9's to handle the low end frequencies or is this just not possible. Should i just get the polk rears and set all the cutoffs on front and rears at 80hz and just save for the sub, or get some 6x9's that can handle a bit of punishment.

For $1000 it sounds like arse.
Kustom
Oldtimer

Post by Kustom »

I Loled at this thread after getting home from work :lol:
Taz wrote:When funds allow
brent88
Mechanic

Post by brent88 »

yea thats right aza i was the 1st to offer my advice. i may not do it for a living but i ahve installed 6 full systems to date and have heard plenty of set ups.

never go off stuff like (mate told me wateva)

i know its bad to underpower speakers but nearly all hu's produce 50w*4 so as for the fronts that would be utalizing all the headunits power (would be better to actual;ly hear them both though)

i know keeping the same brand may not nessacarily sound better but it would definatly match and look a lot better(i wouldent buy a brown headunit because it was 3% better sounding than a HU with
extensive visual controls and great looks)

most of the things i said u didnt totaly disagree with, u either agreed with me or at least could see the point i was trying to make.

anyway its easy to get 320kb mp3's these days and if you rip cd's to your comp you even get the option at what rate you want to rip it at.

good luck deciphering the information on this thread fto84 lol