'amp draining battery incident' i wish to post

This forum discusses anything to do with your In Car Entertainment requirements such as. Stereo's, TV screens, Speakers, Navigation Systems, etc

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Cassf88
Mechanic
jedwabna poszewka promocja

'amp draining battery incident' i wish to post

Post by Cassf88 »

So, recently i stopped driving my car that often and had changed the battery cause mine was old.

After a week of no driving the new battery was completely drained and i had to hook it up to a battery pack just to charge it.

Now, i dont know about those who are reading this but this seemed very strange, how is it that my battery is so new and a within a week the battery has completely drained... i thought maybe, the immobiliser was draining it???

NO.

At this time, i was unhooking my 4-channel amp, ignition off and as i unhooked it from the wires they touched and to my HUGE suprise, they were still live!!

Now, im thinking is this normal? To my knowledge, the wiring should be done not directly to the battery but the ignition...?

Am i right that this was a botch job and therefore my battery has been draining all this time because of that or is this normal procedure?
Dras
Mechanic

Re: 'amp draining battery incident' i wish to post

Post by Dras »

Normally, the amp is wired straight to the battery (via a fuse) but there is a wire that goes to the stereo that actually turns the unit on and off.
FTO-BOY
Mechanic

Post by FTO-BOY »

Yeah check that the stereo wire is connected to the right cable. try and locate the stere wire using the manual if not then get out you multi.
Kustom
Oldtimer

Post by Kustom »

Thats normal, Power goes straight to the battery, with a fuse inbetween (should be in your engine bay)...

It shouldn't be draining your battery as your amp won't be on... until your stereo turns on (should have a remote wire going from your amp to your stereo that tells your amp when to turn on/off)
Taz wrote:When funds allow
Sweep
Grease Monkey

Post by Sweep »

What Kustom said I had the same problem before I connected up the remote wire. Mine had Rem (remote)wrote on it.
FTOgpx96
Grease Monkey

Post by FTOgpx96 »

easiest way to know if the amp is draining power while your car is off is to look for your amp lights there will be 2 of them green and red, green is power and red is protection, now if the amp is getting power while the car is off the green light will be on. now if the amp is wired up correctly id be checking the power wires on your head unit as well making sure the +12v and ACC wires are correctly connected. if the amp is still on means that the internal power relay is shot and it will need to be repaired or the amp replaced.

if none of these problems are apparent then id be checking for positively charged wires touching the chassie and also id be checking the condition of your alternator and making sure your terminals are clean and connected and tightened correctly
Stranger : Nice Porche
Me : its not a Porche
Stranger : ah ok what is it a supra?
Me : nope
Stranger : what is it?
Me : its a mitsubishi
Stranger : Bullshit
Me : Check the badge on the front bumper :)
Sahin
HULK

Post by Sahin »

If you wanted to you could wire your remote wire to a switch