HELP WITH CUSTOMIZING SUB BOX :)

This forum discusses anything to do with your In Car Entertainment requirements such as. Stereo's, TV screens, Speakers, Navigation Systems, etc

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

marshy1223
Apprentice
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Post by marshy1223 »

hey guys i was just thinking of doing something different in the boot of my car, this guy i know wants to buy my sound system for 700 and was wondering that when you take off the rear seats and theres an opening to the boot... well i wanted to MDF that opening but should i make an enclosure or just put the subs there ? i want everyones opinion. also was either going to go 1 18" sub or 2 15" ? any ideas on what would be good just the wood there or an enclosure ? cheers guys :)
Daniel2019
Oldtimer

Re: HELP WITH CUSTOMIZING SUB BOX :)

Post by Daniel2019 »

You could use a clear casing like Taz or PHIL069. Taz's one is here http://ftoaustralia.com/v3/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=25171

Phil I dont think has a thread for his, but he showed us at the bonfire. Looked great. From memory it was a perspex case that he made custom, might wanna double check for materials and such. Phillll where are youuuu?

IMO its better to have a custom, unique one if possible but sometimes getting a little help from other ideas is good too.
I fix cars.
Bennoz wrote:I got Bali beli & sharted on my phone. But it was fun :D
bjk wrote:you old people are no help at all.
marshy1223
Apprentice

Post by marshy1223 »

Daniel2019 wrote:You could use a clear casing like Taz or PHIL069. Taz's one is here http://ftoaustralia.com/v3/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=25171

Phil I dont think has a thread for his, but he showed us at the bonfire. Looked great. From memory it was a perspex case that he made custom, might wanna double check for materials and such. Phillll where are youuuu?

IMO its better to have a custom, unique one if possible but sometimes getting a little help from other ideas is good too.

haha yeah phil just lives a town over aye :) its just perspex over the amps. looks fine as hell :) but I'm not sure what to do :scratch:
Daniel2019
Oldtimer

Post by Daniel2019 »

Good bloke, he is. Yeah personally im a big fan of Phil's sound setup (and his whole car :oops:)

Perspex is the way to go I reckon.
I fix cars.
Taz
Oldtimer

Post by Taz »

dont go 18 or 15" subs, if you listen to ANYTHING apart from club doof doof then youll regret it as it sounds like crap.
Best way to go is make up a custom boc with two inverted 10" subs. More than enough bass and theyre smaller so you get a cleaner crisper sound on metal/rock/anything that doesnt go doof doof doof :lol:
I wouldnt recommend too highly the MDF part, if you dont have one get the plastic/foam whatever it is that comes stock and put that on, mdf isnt the best between you and the sub.
How attached are you to the spare tyre and/or boot space? If you keep the spare tyre its very hard to get ample boot space (especially with a strut), but if you mount the amp and/or sub in the spare tyre space like i have as you can see i pretty much have all my boot space still, as i didnt use the space under the strut where the sub sits anyway.
If only you didnt live in sydney i could do this for you :(
Gl with it though, absorb plenty of ideas and think for yourself - dont just get what others tell you and be unique.

Also, my pro tip, do NOT get a fusion/xplod sub (few other sh*tty brands also but ive found those are the worst)
Id recommend kicker myself of another quality brand - might be a bit extra but worth it in the long run!
Bennoz wrote: Cum gunt it!
Daniel2019
Oldtimer

Post by Daniel2019 »

The cavalry has arrived :cheers: Someone that knows what theyre talking about woo!

But yeah.. dont go with Xplod.. for anything.. ever.
I fix cars.
marshy1223
Apprentice

Post by marshy1223 »

Taz wrote:dont go 18 or 15" subs, if you listen to ANYTHING apart from club doof doof then youll regret it as it sounds like crap.
Best way to go is make up a custom boc with two inverted 10" subs. More than enough bass and theyre smaller so you get a cleaner crisper sound on metal/rock/anything that doesnt go doof doof doof :lol:
I wouldnt recommend too highly the MDF part, if you dont have one get the plastic/foam whatever it is that comes stock and put that on, mdf isnt the best between you and the sub.
How attached are you to the spare tyre and/or boot space? If you keep the spare tyre its very hard to get ample boot space (especially with a strut), but if you mount the amp and/or sub in the spare tyre space like i have as you can see i pretty much have all my boot space still, as i didnt use the space under the strut where the sub sits anyway.
If only you didnt live in sydney i could do this for you :(
Gl with it though, absorb plenty of ideas and think for yourself - dont just get what others tell you and be unique.

Also, my pro tip, do NOT get a fusion/xplod sub (few other sh*tty brands also but ive found those are the worst)
Id recommend kicker myself of another quality brand - might be a bit extra but worth it in the long run!

haha dude i know what I'm talking about when it comes to subs and what i was thinking was, where that bit of paper thing that covers the opening was i was going to mdf it and cut 2 holes in it so its basically behind the seat if you guys know what i mean ??? also i like doof doof hahaha ! but yeah i have the recommended subs. i want crisp clean bass when it hits the notes and stuff but i also want doof ;)
Taz
Oldtimer

Post by Taz »

hmm, just thinking with nothing but a thin foam seat it might sound a bit, well crap. I fiddled with my setup in the boot and the difference it made when i turned the sub around to face outward from the cabin (slight angle on it so facing up toward the parcel shelf at first) was amazing, 10x better.
But hey its your sounds and if you want more doof doof then i aint gonna stop you :lol:
Gl with it
marshy1223
Apprentice

Post by marshy1223 »

Taz wrote:hmm, just thinking with nothing but a thin foam seat it might sound a bit, well crap. I fiddled with my setup in the boot and the difference it made when i turned the sub around to face outward from the cabin (slight angle on it so facing up toward the parcel shelf at first) was amazing, 10x better.
But hey its your sounds and if you want more doof doof then i aint gonna stop you :lol:
Gl with it

well i have 2 champion series pioneer subs running off a kicker 750.1 mono block so thats pree good and i have them facing outwards and they sound really good ! but they roughly sounded the same facing inwards to. was thinking some more kicker subs that are rating at 650rms each or going a 1200rms re audio..... hmmmm lol not sure hey...
Taz
Oldtimer

Post by Taz »

:|
im only running a 12" kicker sub at 320rms and i can make it deafening yet still clear at the same time, anything more (for me) is just overkill and a waste of money - spend it on the 6x9's n splits etc
phi-tec
Veteran Mechanic

Post by phi-tec »

if u have the dosh, type r 12" in a ported with a pdx1.1000 or 1.600 thats enough to satisfy most, great power, like crazy nd clear as fck
You have the right to remain silent, anything you do say will be quoted and used against you
aza013
NSW Coordinator

Post by aza013 »

Moved into the right area :D .
PHIL069
Oldtimer

Post by PHIL069 »

Hi Marshy, as stated keep it original, draw lots of pictures of your designs before you start chopping away. I had 2*10" subs but found it wasn't quite enough, so I upgraded to 2*12" subs running off of a JL Audio D class XD600/1 mono block, I also have kicker 6*9's running off of a 640 watt 2 channel kenwood amp and kicker splits running off of thier own 640 watt 2 channel kenwood amp.
I can turn up heaps loud and it comes out crystal clear :D
Last edited by PHIL069 on Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mikeey01nzl wrote:Hats off to you too Phil for spending so much time on the phone trying to help someone out, your a top man and only a few would've spent so much time. well done! :salut:
Daniel2019 wrote:Come on phil, we bonded at the bonfire, lets be honest here...me and phil are besties now... :lol:
Sahin
HULK

Post by Sahin »

I had 6 12" kenwood subs in my civic running off my 5800w rms usaudio bonecrusher 2 amp (no bullshit)
Now I have a headunit and speakers running off it in my FTO lol
PHIL069
Oldtimer

Post by PHIL069 »

Do your ears still work?
Last edited by PHIL069 on Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mikeey01nzl wrote:Hats off to you too Phil for spending so much time on the phone trying to help someone out, your a top man and only a few would've spent so much time. well done! :salut:
Daniel2019 wrote:Come on phil, we bonded at the bonfire, lets be honest here...me and phil are besties now... :lol:
Sahin
HULK

Post by Sahin »

PHIL069 wrote:
Sahin wrote:I had 6 12" kenwood subs in my civic running off my 5800w rms usaudio bonecrusher 2 amp (no bullshit)
Do your ears still work?
Hence why I took the sub out of my FTO lol. It's not cool to me anymore and I like to be able to hear music, not just (and now your going to die brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrberrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr)
Andym
Grease Monkey

Post by Andym »

:lol: @ knife party reference.

i currently have 2 MTX audio 12" subs running of a kicker mono amplifier. which is more than enough doof but also clear if tuned correctly via the amp/headunit

in regards to the boot setup i agree with the other guys, draw LOTS of pictures to get some ideas flowing as well as measuring the space and weather or not you want to run a strut brace....

something new and unique is always nice :)