Just a Watt question

This forum discusses anything to do with your In Car Entertainment requirements such as. Stereo's, TV screens, Speakers, Navigation Systems, etc

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

crosso
Grease Monkey
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Just a Watt question

Post by crosso »

Say if I was to buy a head unit (50Wx4) and the speakers I bought are 300W Peak Power, 75W Rated Power,
Because I can only feed them 50W from the headunit, does the Rated power of the speakers matter since it is above what the headunit can put out?

I hope that makes sense lol
PHIL069
Oldtimer

Re: Just a Watt question

Post by PHIL069 »

That will work fine, and you have watt's left over if you want to add an amp later.
You will have the 4*50 watts power output for now, so you will have 4*50 watts volume levels, this is enough for a lot of people.........
Not me though, I like to have my ears ringing for at least an hour after getting out of the FTO :twisted:

EDIT: So you can run less power(W) to a speaker than it's rating, it's just no good to run more (W) to a speaker than it's rating as this will cause it to break/split/crack and sound crap
Last edited by PHIL069 on Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mikeey01nzl wrote:Hats off to you too Phil for spending so much time on the phone trying to help someone out, your a top man and only a few would've spent so much time. well done! :salut:
Daniel2019 wrote:Come on phil, we bonded at the bonfire, lets be honest here...me and phil are besties now... :lol:
crosso
Grease Monkey

Post by crosso »

Sweet thankyou. Current speakers are like 6 years old and don't sound very nice
I get paranoid when my music is really loud anyway, thinking I hear sirens or horns that aren't really there.. haha
PHIL069
Oldtimer

Post by PHIL069 »

crosso wrote:Sweet thankyou. Current speakers are like 6 years old and don't sound very nice
I get paranoid when my music is really loud anyway, thinking I hear sirens or horns that aren't really there.. haha
Yeah, it sucks when there are sirens in the music itself.

I was cruising once, music pounding, the car in front moves over to the road edge. I think cool, I can get past this slow driver now. Then I notice that cars further on than him are moving over, I look in my mirrors and the cars behind me are all on the roads edge..........There is an ambulance on my arse, sirens and lights blaring, the driver looking quite pissed off. OH F**K I think...............Moves over in a haste 8O
mikeey01nzl wrote:Hats off to you too Phil for spending so much time on the phone trying to help someone out, your a top man and only a few would've spent so much time. well done! :salut:
Daniel2019 wrote:Come on phil, we bonded at the bonfire, lets be honest here...me and phil are besties now... :lol:
crosso
Grease Monkey

Post by crosso »

PHIL069 wrote: I was cruising once, sound pounding, the car in front moves over to the road edge. I think cool, I can get past this slow driver now. Then I notice that cars further on than him are moving over, I look in my mirrors and the cars behind me are all on the roads edge..........There is an ambulance on my arse, sirens and lights blaring, the driver looking quite pissed off. OH F**K I think...............Moves over in a haste 8O
:facepalm:
Oh god haha

Just thought I should add, it's a "Full Range 4-Way Coaxial Speaker", won't change anything will it?
From what I was told, that will allow me to get a full range of sounds, but at a lower volume level. Is that right?
PHIL069
Oldtimer

Post by PHIL069 »

4 way = a grouping of 4 speakers in one = tweeter + mid/high range + mid range + woofer = high sounds through to low sounds = full range = good :thumright:

Lower volume :? I don't understand this term :twisted:
crosso
Grease Monkey

Post by crosso »

Thanks Phil, you're a legend :thumright:
phi-tec
Veteran Mechanic

Just a Watt question

Post by phi-tec »

FYI that 50w is approx 18-20 w RMS
You have the right to remain silent, anything you do say will be quoted and used against you
phi-tec
Veteran Mechanic

Just a Watt question

Post by phi-tec »

And btw for most at least decent sub/speakers. Over powering them (not by heaps but a little) doesn't really hurt as long as you're not having the gains high and pumping real loud all the time... Eg my sub has total rms handling of 300w rms and my amp is 400rms (both 2 ohm) it's fine because gain ain't on full.
HTH
You have the right to remain silent, anything you do say will be quoted and used against you
PHIL069
Oldtimer

Post by PHIL069 »

phi-tec wrote:not having the gains high and pumping real loud all the time... gain ain't on full.
:?
I don't understand these terms either :twisted:
Daniel2019
Oldtimer

Post by Daniel2019 »

PHIL069 wrote:That will work fine, and you have watt's left over if you want to add an amp later.
You will have the 4*50 watts power output for now, so you will have 4*50 watts volume levels, this is enough for a lot of people.........
Not me though, I like to have my ears ringing for at least an hour after getting out of the FTO :twisted:

EDIT: So you can run less power(W) to a speaker than it's rating, it's just no good to run more (W) to a speaker than it's rating as this will cause it to break/split/crack and sound crap
So how easy is it to blow/f**k up a speaker if the head unit has less peak power output than the speakers that its running to - without an amp? :scratch:

I always get paranoid turning mine up too much because I dont want to break them :lol:
I fix cars.
Bennoz wrote:I got Bali beli & sharted on my phone. But it was fun :D
bjk wrote:you old people are no help at all.
PHIL069
Oldtimer

Post by PHIL069 »

Daniel2019 wrote:
PHIL069 wrote:That will work fine, and you have watt's left over if you want to add an amp later.

So how easy is it to blow/f**k up a speaker if the head unit has less peak power output than the speakers that its running to - without an amp? :scratch:

I always get paranoid turning mine up too much because I dont want to break them :lol:
:facepalm2:

So turn it up you wus :lol:
Daniel2019
Oldtimer

Post by Daniel2019 »

PHIL069 wrote:
Daniel2019 wrote:

So turn it up you wus :lol:
Yeah I know how stupid that sounded.. :facepalm2: But seriously, for example, running bass boost through them and such, at full volume, etc.
I fix cars.
PHIL069
Oldtimer

Post by PHIL069 »

Don't be scared of Bass Boost :lol:
Turn it up you wus :lol: :lol:
You should hear the hell power I pump through my speakers :twisted:
Daniel2019
Oldtimer

Post by Daniel2019 »

PHIL069 wrote:Turn it up you wus :lol: :lol:
If I blow a speaker im holding you responsible! :lol:
I fix cars.
PHIL069
Oldtimer

Post by PHIL069 »

Daniel2019 wrote:
If you blow a speaker.........You bought crap speakers :lol:
Didn't you buy Alpines?
Daniel2019
Oldtimer

Post by Daniel2019 »

PHIL069 wrote:
Daniel2019 wrote:
Didn't you buy Alpines?
Nope. Ive got Pioneers all round, and a Kenwood head unit :thumleft:

Its not necessarily the volume that im worried about, its more the bass. I dont have any subs in yet, and running all the bass through the normal speakers doesnt seem smart, especially when at higher volumes with some boost up.
Last edited by Daniel2019 on Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
I fix cars.
Vectose
Forum Moderator

Post by Vectose »

If you blow a speaker, you can have mine........
Attachments
Speaker.jpg
Speaker.jpg (239.41 KiB) Viewed 972 times
Bennoz wrote:
Technikhaus wrote:What is in said Bens big penis by the way?
A whoooole lot 'o jism 8)
PHIL069
Oldtimer

Post by PHIL069 »

^^^Thats age, not power that done that^^^ ;)

Daniel2019 wrote:
PHIL069 wrote:
Daniel2019 wrote:
Didn't you buy Alpines?
Then................Turn it up you wus :lol: :lol: :lol:
Daniel2019
Oldtimer

Post by Daniel2019 »

PHIL069 wrote:^^^Thats age, not power that done that^^^ ;)

Daniel2019 wrote:
PHIL069 wrote:
Daniel2019 wrote:
Didn't you buy Alpines?
Then................Turn it up you wus :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hahahaha okay, I will. If my car esplodes then its 100% your fault for egging me on. Im a P-plater!
I fix cars.