DIY 6" split speaker install in factory location

This forum discusses anything to do with your In Car Entertainment requirements such as. Stereo's, TV screens, Speakers, Navigation Systems, etc

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

NextLevel
Apprentice
jedwabna poszewka promocja

DIY 6" split speaker install in factory location

Post by NextLevel »

Quick write up on installing 6" split in factory locations.

Wanted to replace the 6" 3way speaker since it was lacking front sound stage (tweeter was firing into my leg).

Decided to go with the cheap 6" split from Fusion since i wasnt planning to use an amp.

I started with the left hand side of the car.

I lifted the air vent to reveal the factory tweeter location. (vents are held in place by clips so be gentle when removing the vents)

Then i feed the tweeter wire throught the factory hole in the rear.

I drop the glove compartment to gain access to the tweeter wire to pull through.

Another look at the tweeter wire while the glove compartment is let down.

To the far left hand side of the glove compartment there is a hard plastic wire feed housing.

You will need to feed the tweeter wiring through the bottom of the hard plastic as seen here (the green tweeter wire)

This will lead to the rubber tube that is connected between the car and the door.

now before you feed the wire through, you will need to pulll the rubber out completly
First i start with the rubber on the door.

And then the rubber connected to the car. (please note to be very carefull you dont break the grey plastic, all you want to do here is remove the rubber).

besure to remove the rubber out first "only"

Then followed by the grey hard plastice. (hard plastic can be removed by gently using a flat head screw driver). here is a pic of the rubber and hard plastic separated

now feed the tweeter wire through the bottom of the hard plastic from inside the car to out

now feed the tweeter wiring through the rubber tube (tube which connects to the car body to the door)with a thin blunt object. eg chop stick. (I used electrician "fish wire" from Jaycar)

This will come out through to where the door is.

Now feed tweeter wire through the hole in the door and out to the front speaker pod. (please note, door card does not need to be removed, speaker can be changed by removing the speaker pod which is held in by clips, be gentle)

Install the 6" speaker

Clip the speaker pod back on.

And now you're done with the left hand side, now do the same thing on the right hand side.

Enjoy! :D
Daniel2019
Oldtimer

Re: DIY 6" split speaker install in factory location

Post by Daniel2019 »

Nice write up :thumleft:

Will be using this guide when I put my system in my project car.

Cheers :D
I fix cars.
Bennoz wrote:I got Bali beli & sharted on my phone. But it was fun :D
bjk wrote:you old people are no help at all.
Vectose
Forum Moderator

Post by Vectose »

Nice write up mate, fishing the wire through the door grommet is a pain, especially when you can't open the door all the way. :lol:

Great Work!
Bennoz wrote:
Technikhaus wrote:What is in said Bens big penis by the way?
A whoooole lot 'o jism 8)
silverGPX
9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

It took me 6 hours to thread two runs of 14 gauge thru mine. I should of just taken the door off. Eh back in the day I was a noob lol
Taz
Oldtimer

Post by Taz »

silverGPX wrote:It took me 6 hours to thread two runs of 14 gauge thru mine. I should of just taken the door off. Eh I'm a noob lol
EFA
Bennoz wrote: Cum gunt it!
NextLevel
Apprentice

Post by NextLevel »

Thanks guys.

A word of warning to anyone who does attempt this....

The rubber door grommet is a killer to thread the tweeter/speaker wires through.

I was fortunate to have "fish wire" from Jaycar and it was still a pain to feed the speaker wires through.

Be patience, and remain calm. Best to set aside "a few hours" for the install.

Cheers
Technikhaus
Oldtimer

Post by Technikhaus »

I hate doing that :/
I could never get the wire through from inside the car into the grommet, I just gave up, cut the existing wire and connected it to the new stuff :p
Man '96 FTO GPX
Man '89 Legacy RS Rally car
Man '90 MR2 GT
Auto '08 Fairmont Ghia
Astron_Boy
Trolling Gen Y

Post by Astron_Boy »

Nice write up for a newbie who will typically attack this sort of job first go.

It's common knowledge among the many, but always good to have a write up for the uninitiated.

:thumright:

I know I'll cop flack, but if people don't want to go to the hassle of running wire for the door speakers, the factory wire is perfectly acceptable to use, simply run wire to your tweeters.
Sahin
HULK

Post by Sahin »

NextLevel wrote:Thanks guys.

The rubber door grommet is a killer to thread the tweeter/speaker wires through.

I was fortunate to have "fish wire" from Jaycar and it was still a pain to feed the speaker wires through.

Cheers
Can't you tie the new wire to the old one and pull it through the door? If not call me a dick and i'll shut up lol
rock_it
Oldtimer

Post by rock_it »

Sahin wrote:

Cheers
Can't you tie the new wire to the old one and pull it through the door? If not call me a dick and i'll shut up lol
That is what I usually do...
I just had to add it ......
sublime19 wrote:Lol clearly you don't know me well enough, it was a joke :roll:
I talk a lot of sh*t, usually have to keep a roll of toilet paper handy in the car for my mouth :lol:
Astron_Boy wrote:Hold me Sooty, I need man comfort.
:utbnb:
NextLevel
Apprentice

Post by NextLevel »

Sahin wrote:

Cheers
Probably could work Sahin.
I just remembered the existing factory wiring was a very tight fit and lack any slack.
Worth a try for anyone doing the install.
I just happen to have "fish wire".
NextLevel
Apprentice

Post by NextLevel »

Astron_Boy wrote:Nice write up for a newbie who will typically attack this sort of job first go.

It's common knowledge among the many, but always good to have a write up for the uninitiated.

:thumright:

I know I'll cop flack, but if people don't want to go to the hassle of running wire for the door speakers, the factory wire is perfectly acceptable to use, simply run wire to your tweeters.
Thanks Astron.

I don't think there is anything wrong with using the existing wiring, unless you're some audio purist.

Yeah I'm gonna document as much as I can with everything I do to the car in hope that it does help an owner out there.
Cheers
rock_it
Oldtimer

Post by rock_it »

Very tight.. The first door I tried stripped the tape off that was holding the new wire to follow through. But got it through OK on the second door..
I just had to add it ......
sublime19 wrote:Lol clearly you don't know me well enough, it was a joke :roll:
I talk a lot of sh*t, usually have to keep a roll of toilet paper handy in the car for my mouth :lol:
Astron_Boy wrote:Hold me Sooty, I need man comfort.
:utbnb: