Hertz ECX-87 3" Speakers

This forum discusses anything to do with your In Car Entertainment requirements such as. Stereo's, TV screens, Speakers, Navigation Systems, etc

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

MaxD
Grease Monkey
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Hertz ECX-87 3" Speakers

Post by MaxD »

These little fellers arrived all the way from Italy and this afternoon I fitted them. They're 87mm across and should hopefully go in the tweeter location. :) The key thing is their depth. They're a mere 46mm in total height! You have to modify the cardboard surround slightly when mounting them to the underside of the speaker cover and "bend" the speaker terminals a little.

The sound I now get is impressive. I feel I'm in the middle of the sound stage rather than near the front with all the audio in the rear. Happy days!

My setup using all OEM wiring:

Tweeter Location: Hertz ECX-87 (60W). 2-way
Doors: Infinity Reference 6522i (60W) 2-way
Parcel Shelf: Infinity Reference 9623i (100W) 3-way
Radio: Kenwood KDC-DAB4557U
Last edited by MaxD on Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shadowarrior
Tightarse

Re: Hertz ECX-87 3" Speakers

Post by shadowarrior »

how much did you pay for these?
This is the headunit I have:
http://www.pioneer.com.au/au/products/D ... print.html

I have the front speakers connected via the power connector wires, used the rear/sub pre-out to connect to an amp which drives the subwoofer. So I have the front pre out slot available. If I connect these Hertz to the front pre-out wouldn't that cut off my existing front speakers?

Also, I have 50W X4 available from the headunit while the Hertz specifications say they are 80W speakers?
silverGPX
9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

No sidds u could plug four speakers into your headunit and then run cabling from all your preouts to amps.

Not sure why'd youd want to ever run anything off the head unit thought because its only putting out like 5WRMS.

Have a chat to me sides and I can give u a hand..
MaxD
Grease Monkey

Post by MaxD »

I bought the Hertz speakers direct from Italy as they were cheaper than buying them from a UK stockist. I paid 45 Euro's including delivery. ($70). In the UK, they cost £120 delivered ($225). Go figure!
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230943197003

I have all 6 speakers running off the head unit and have no issues whatsoever with sound quality and volume. The Hertz speakers are running off the cabling that sits in the tweeter location. There is zero distortion. :)
Last edited by MaxD on Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sahin
HULK

Post by Sahin »

Yeah but if you amped them, they'd be working at their full potential!
MaxD
Grease Monkey

Post by MaxD »

I only have one set of ears. Not to mention I don't have the space to put in an amp or the will/motivation as I really don't need any more volume. They work just fine for me - so their potential is spot on. They do the job I wanted which was to improve the sound stage up front for the driver. Now it doesn't sound as though all the noise is coming from the back.

Volume wise, I can drown out the exhaust and all road noise. Why would I want anything more than that?

Fitted - although you can't see it, the lower half of the speaker had to be modified slightly. The top cardboard part needed a cut-out.
Last edited by MaxD on Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sahin
HULK

Post by Sahin »

Then you could have just bought really inexpensive speakers and it would've sounded the same lol
MaxD
Grease Monkey

Post by MaxD »

Ok smart arse, go and find a set of speakers which will fit the exacting measurements required for fitting a speaker in the tweeter location. Good luck!! :P

They were inexpensive! £24 / $44