Gauge Pod painting?

Bodykits, Interior modifications, Rice Products, anything that is for looks

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

XenaP
Grease Monkey
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Gauge Pod painting?

Post by XenaP »

I started sanding the gauge pod last night and it turns out this baby is made from completely different material than everything else on the bloody dash that I'm going to paint (stereo surround, piece around dial cluster, etc) 8O

So my question, what's the best way to prep it for paint? Wet sanding seems to give me little balls of yuck and I didn't want to attempt to dry sand without asking here first.
Any help would be awesome, TIA :)
BorepYano
Forum Moderator

Re: Gauge Pod painting?

Post by BorepYano »

it's rubber. don't sand rubber lol

um... what colour are you wanting to paint it? I'm not sure how well paint will stick to it. in fact I have my doubts about the dash itself as well. The plastic bits (i.e. stereo surround etc) should be fine to light sand, undercoat then paint. unless you want a perfectly smooth finish, then you'll have to sand more and use a filler primer.
kiz wrote:
silverGPX wrote:This requires a thread? lol
There's potential for a thread about anything on FTO Australia
Taz
Oldtimer

Post by Taz »

Ive done it a few times before, took me 2 destroyed ones but I have it down to a fine art. Oncw you hit that texture youre screwed tjough. You nwed to very lightly sand the paint down till it gets to the basecoat, prepwash it then slowly add lighr coats of paint. Mine has lasted a year so far and is still perfect.me or dwayne will have spares if you wamt to try again :)
Bennoz wrote: Cum gunt it!
XenaP
Grease Monkey

Post by XenaP »

Ok, so if it's rubber and I can't sand it, how do I prep it?

Taz you said you sanded the paint down until it got to the basecoat ... it doesn't have paint on it. I haven't got to any 'texture' though. I only gave it a really light sand with 600 in one area.
And I'm working on a spare ;) Managed to buy one from Ebay for $20. But it's always good to know there are more floating about :D
silverGPX
9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

Normally a good coat of armorall brings them back like new