Alternative to tinting your brake lights

Bodykits, Interior modifications, Rice Products, anything that is for looks

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

enref
Apprentice
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Alternative to tinting your brake lights

Post by enref »

I wanted to see how the FTO looked with smoked tail lights since I've seen some great looking (but SO illegal) really dark tints
so I used a kind legal in the UK -> http://flyeyeskit.co.uk/

Its sorta a mesh that allows for the reflectors to be seen still but giving that smoked look.Doesn't look quite as good as completely tinted but easy to change and safer (comes in a range of colours too)
Looks great at night and best thing is you can just whip it off easy peasy whenever you're bored of it.

you buy sheets, its pretty flexible and strechy and just cut around the edges once you've stuck it to the light peel away excess and you're done, takes ten min tops

I've got some pics of before, with and without reverse lights covered & with and without indicators covered
I ended up going with the reverse uncovered and the rest covered
Attachments
before (ignore the mountain of crap in the boot)
before (ignore the mountain of crap in the boot)
all covered
all covered
reverse uncovered rest covered
reverse uncovered rest covered
indicator and reverse uncovered
indicator and reverse uncovered
end product with brakes on
end product with brakes on
20130628_132953_resized (Small).jpg
silverGPX
9.5"

Re: Alternative to tinting your brake lights

Post by silverGPX »

I like the light coat of niteshades look, nice and clean! :thumleft:
vanadinite
Veteran Mechanic

Post by vanadinite »

you could have just used a pair of womens stockings. Its darker and cheaper.
Looks good though.
Daniel2019
Oldtimer

Post by Daniel2019 »

Nice find!
I fix cars.
Bennoz wrote:I got Bali beli & sharted on my phone. But it was fun :D
bjk wrote:you old people are no help at all.
enref
Apprentice

Post by enref »

yeh but for me getting the lights out and stockings on would be a pain in the ass and at $20 bucks i'm not too fussed,

I wasn't game enough for nightshade but a friends turned out well plus this is easier
vanadinite
Veteran Mechanic

Post by vanadinite »

enref wrote:yeh but for me getting the lights out and stockings on would be a pain in the ass and at $20 bucks i'm not too fussed
I can guarantee you spent more time putting this on that what it would take to put a stocking over the light, just saying. But as i said it still looks nice
Daniel2019
Oldtimer

Post by Daniel2019 »

Is it just me or do they make the lights look kinda faded? Or is that only cause of the pics?
I fix cars.
Bennoz wrote:I got Bali beli & sharted on my phone. But it was fun :D
bjk wrote:you old people are no help at all.
enref
Apprentice

Post by enref »

vanadinite wrote:
enref wrote:yeh but for me getting the lights out and stockings on would be a pain in the ass and at $20 bucks i'm not too fussed
I can guarantee you spent more time putting this on that what it would take to put a stocking over the light, just saying. But as i said it still looks nice
For most of you guys it'd take you 5min, me quite a bit longer. I'd be staring at it not knowing where to start for the first half hour...

And in the wrong light it can look faded now that I think on it
MaxD
Grease Monkey

Post by MaxD »

I've tried the flyeyes kit which is 100% legal in the UK. My main problem with it was when it came to polishing the car... polish gets into the honeycomb structure.

So...I went down the illegal tint route and applied a dark black film. It looked great, but when in direct sunlight, you couldn't see any illumination. The issue struck home when the London Met rozzers almost drove into the back of me. A lovely pair of blue lights appeared through my dark tinted screen and I was asked to pull over. They stated if I could remove the film there and then, no points or fine. 30 seconds and it was all off!

The main problem with a tint be it film or paint is that the reflectors built into the units are not visible, not to mention the light output is seriously reduced. So the morale of the story is if you want to keep legal, it has to be the Flyeyes honeycomb kit or nothing.

Over here, the rozzers are coming down heavier on modified vehicles.
Technikhaus
Oldtimer

Post by Technikhaus »

I tinted my taillights about 4-5 months ago.
I thought I'd have issues, but I have not been pulled over at all, and passed my WOF last week :)
Man '96 FTO GPX
Man '89 Legacy RS Rally car
Man '90 MR2 GT
Auto '08 Fairmont Ghia
MaxD
Grease Monkey

Post by MaxD »

I guess the WOF is the same as our MOT - vehicle testing every year.

Our MOT'ers will pass the vehicles during their test as it's not a requirement to test in direct sunlight. Just that the lights work generally. The UK is rolling out new criteria every 12 months to get old cars off the road. So aftermarket HID kits are a no-no now, although in the FTO it's not always black and white due to the projector style headlights. Having a decat is ok if the manufacture date is pre-1995. However, the DVLA (licensing body) don't always have the correct details on file and testers use the DVLA database. LED's are generally a no-no unless their eMarked. But again, a grey area as most of the auto stores sell non-eMarked LED's!!
Technikhaus
Oldtimer

Post by Technikhaus »

MaxD wrote:I guess the WOF is the same as our MOT - vehicle testing every year.

Our MOT'ers will pass the vehicles during their test as it's not a requirement to test in direct sunlight. Just that the lights work generally. The UK is rolling out new criteria every 12 months to get old cars off the road. So aftermarket HID kits are a no-no now, although in the FTO it's not always black and white due to the projector style headlights. Having a decat is ok if the manufacture date is pre-1995. However, the DVLA (licensing body) don't always have the correct details on file and testers use the DVLA database. LED's are generally a no-no unless their eMarked. But again, a grey area as most of the auto stores sell non-eMarked LED's!!
Yeah, our WOF is similar, but I don't think as in depth, it's also every 6 months for cars made before 2000, and 1 year for post 2000.
Man '96 FTO GPX
Man '89 Legacy RS Rally car
Man '90 MR2 GT
Auto '08 Fairmont Ghia
kiz
SA Coordinator

Post by kiz »

Come to South Australia. No WOF, MOTs or any form of yearly vehicle check.... Our state is a joke in that aspect :lol:

However we are also known as the defect state of Australia so...
There are two types of people on forums; those that give helpful advice, and the others

1998 Mitsubishi FTO GPVR AERO ;)
MaxD
Grease Monkey

Post by MaxD »

Most of Europe has switched to a vehicle check every 2 years. I imagine the England will fall in line.