Full Car Respray For FTO General Price.

Bodykits, Interior modifications, Rice Products, anything that is for looks

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

FasterThanOther's
Apprentice
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Full Car Respray For FTO General Price.

Post by FasterThanOther's »

Has anyone had a full respray done for their fto and changed their factory color?

The paint on my is pretty well trashed and it needs a couple dents fixed and i havnt performed the DIY Roof rust removal yet either, does anyone have experience in this area and have a general idea of what it will it will cost, throw a number out? (Sorry if this is in the wrong thread) :clown:
getonit
Grease Monkey

Re: Full Car Respray For FTO General Price.

Post by getonit »

A full colour change done in a panel shop will cost upwards of around 3-4k depending on paint type and prep/repairs needed. That's just a starting point,could very well bite you for 5-7k.
Backyard job, factor in about $800-$1000 in materials using a decent mid range paint system. If getting someone to do the job you can save a heap by prepping as much as you can. Repair dents/prime etc.
A good cost effective solution is say Concept base coat and Spralac or Duxone clear coat. Concept do an ok solid colour system too.
FasterThanOther's
Apprentice

getonit wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:52 am A full colour change done in a panel shop will cost upwards of around 3-4k depending on paint type and prep/repairs needed. That's just a starting point,could very well bite you for 5-7k.
Backyard job, factor in about $800-$1000 in materials using a decent mid range paint system. If getting someone to do the job you can save a heap by prepping as much as you can. Repair dents/prime etc.
A good cost effective solution is say Concept base coat and Spralac or Duxone clear coat. Concept do an ok solid colour system too.
Time to start saving then! Arnt you the one who owns shitrus in the facebook group, have you been painting yours?, if so how well is it going because one of my friends wants to try and paint mine as a guinea pig to see if we can do a decent job of it, the original owners of my fto painted over the factory white with a pearl white so you can see 2 kinds of white because the pearl white is peeling off. Thanks for the response.
mezje
Mechanic

Post by mezje »

Is it your car in your picture? It has a facelift so assuming it's 98+ it should be free of roof rust.
Jim is right in terms of cost, it could easily push $7k if it needs roof rust repair and some other body work done.
getonit
Grease Monkey

Post by getonit »

yep shitrus is mine. No where near painting it as am busy painting other cars at the moment. I also did one of the roof rust tutorials on here.
Serious though, have been painting cars for 25 years and can honestly say if you or your mate have no prep or painting experience then don't touch it until you are ready.
Grab some old panels of anything and some cheap nasty paint and practice. The Gunman on youtube has some very good videos and tutorials, i would suggest you watch them.
Get a good compressor (10-13cfm preferably twin cylinder) and do not skimp on spray guns for colour and/or clear. An ebay 1.7-2.0 $40 gun will suffice for hi fill primer. A 1.4 tip gun is pretty universal for colour and clear. Though 1.4 for base and 1.3 for clear is optimal. 1.4 should suit most solids.
Iwata make some decent entry level guns and even the star high end guns are good enough. Devilbiss and Sata are pricey but are the sh*t if you want perfection. Have an enclosed area and make it clean and some sort of extraction so the paint does not sit in the air around the job. And please...please wear a good quality organic mask.
FasterThanOther's
Apprentice

mezje wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:20 am Is it your car in your picture? It has a facelift so assuming it's 98+ it should be free of roof rust.
Jim is right in terms of cost, it could easily push $7k if it needs roof rust repair and some other body work done.
Its a 97 GPVR but i heard the early 97 models still had the glue that kept moisture in the roof and im pretty sure mine rolled off the factory line in February so im not sure, i cant seen any, theres little specs of rest i think where the sun roof sits in.
FasterThanOther's
Apprentice

getonit wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:59 pm yep shitrus is mine. No where near painting it as am busy painting other cars at the moment. I also did one of the roof rust tutorials on here.
Serious though, have been painting cars for 25 years and can honestly say if you or your mate have no prep or painting experience then don't touch it until you are ready.
Grab some old panels of anything and some cheap nasty paint and practice. The Gunman on youtube has some very good videos and tutorials, i would suggest you watch them.
Get a good compressor (10-13cfm preferably twin cylinder) and do not skimp on spray guns for colour and/or clear. An ebay 1.7-2.0 $40 gun will suffice for hi fill primer. A 1.4 tip gun is pretty universal for colour and clear. Though 1.4 for base and 1.3 for clear is optimal. 1.4 should suit most solids.
Iwata make some decent entry level guns and even the star high end guns are good enough. Devilbiss and Sata are pricey but are the sh*t if you want perfection. Have an enclosed area and make it clean and some sort of extraction so the paint does not sit in the air around the job. And please...please wear a good quality organic mask.
My friends who want to paint it have done car bits here and there but i heard none have really turned out really well, but im only a kitchen hand raking in an average of 500 - 600 a week so saving up such a large amount for it is going to be rough, thank you for your detailed response i appriciate it, have a suggestion of what would you do if you were in my boots with a facelift sh*t model?
getonit
Grease Monkey

Post by getonit »

I would suggest you get any suspension and mechanical work sorted before making it look pretty.
bjk
Totes

Post by bjk »

getonit wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:02 pm I would suggest you get any suspension and mechanical work sorted before making it look pretty.
I thought you'd suggest a prefacelift conversion :cheeky: