EOI/Group Buy: RPW Short Shifter Kit

FTO Club of Australia Group Buys. Want something cheap this is where to find it. The best deals for all our members

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

FtoSam
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

EOI/Group Buy: RPW Short Shifter Kit

Post by FtoSam »

Okay i was talking to Chelly and she wants one of these.... me too... was thinking if we approached RPW with say 10 at once they may give a discount. i dont see why not. I've had a short shift on my old car and they are magic. makes your shifts feel like your in a ferrari... well maybe not but it is good.

Link:
http://www.rpw.com.au/shop/index.php?pa ... &Itemid=31

just an EOI for now. but if we get a few people may end up going through.
EURO
Oldtimer

Post by EURO »

mate - i really want one of these,

I got a bit peeved off with RPW though, as they were advertised on sale, and after ordering one (6-9 months ago), there was suddenly none in stock. Now they are back in stock and they wont sell to me at the price i ordered one at.... still if you get a good deal I would be interested.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Apparently they are pretty damn good, issue is they are done on an exchange basis. I couldnt go without my car for a day so ended up buying one elsewhere.
BorepYano
Forum Moderator

Post by BorepYano »

guess it's too bad if u drive an auto though lol
scarecrow
Veteran Mechanic

Post by scarecrow »

Yeah, i'd be in... depending on cost. How much these things run? I'm sick of shifting the regular long throw way like a sucker when I could be doing so much less movement.
[img]http://members.iinet.net.au/~viper39/carbw.jpg[/img]
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

Ben since you got one, do you know which other Mitsubishi model share the same manual gear box as the FTO?

Because if these guys want to get a group buy happening and since 9 out of 10 FTO are tip, they might need to approach owners of the other model's club/forum which share the same gear box.
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Very good point Kev. I'll have to look it up, but if you folks want to start doing the same - the gearbox in the FTO is the F5M42.

Its a common box & would most likely be found in other Mitsi's like Galants, Lancers & possibly even Magnas. I'll check CAPS & see what I can cross reference. As you'd imagine buying a Lancer stick would cost you $40 but an FTO one (although identical) would probably cost you $100
mxysxy
Oldtimer

Post by mxysxy »

Since I am a manual owner, :D
I should get one too
jesta
Apprentice

Post by jesta »

Put me down for 1 as well.
sublime19
Sooty!

Post by sublime19 »

isnt it really hard to get used to a short shifter though? and a pain to drive in heavy traffic (so not suitable for most of us that drive to work in peak hour)
this is what ive heard but can someone please confirm this.
I have to work - People on the dole depend on me.
Bennoz wrote:Meet Subby. The class leader & originator of post whoring... Although most of Subbys posts have 'content' :lol:
Bennoz wrote:They especially hate bonnets, they frisbee across the road & behead a pedestrian.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

sublime19 wrote:isnt it really hard to get used to a short shifter though? and a pain to drive in heavy traffic (so not suitable for most of us that drive to work in peak hour)
this is what ive heard but can someone please confirm this.
What have you been reading Devvoz! :? Thats all crap. I drive mine daily without issue.
BorepYano
Forum Moderator

Post by BorepYano »

its the brass button clutch that u have to worry about, it's basically either in or out, have fun trying to crawl in traffic with that lol
mike
Apprentice

Post by mike »

I would be interested, depending on the price.

Mike
sublime19
Sooty!

Post by sublime19 »

haha thanks mate.. yea i wanna get a short shifter too!

hey ben is it hard to get used to it? like i done wanna be crunching gears on the first day while im getting used to it lol
Bennoz wrote:Meet Subby. The class leader & originator of post whoring... Although most of Subbys posts have 'content' :lol:
Bennoz wrote:They especially hate bonnets, they frisbee across the road & behead a pedestrian.
mxysxy
Oldtimer

Post by mxysxy »

sublime19 wrote:haha thanks mate.. yea i wanna get a short shifter too!

hey ben is it hard to get used to it? like i done wanna be crunching gears on the first day while im getting used to it lol
still have the gear stick, right?
how hard could it be?
BorepYano
Forum Moderator

Post by BorepYano »

sublime19 wrote:haha thanks mate.. yea i wanna get a short shifter too!

should make the gear change easiers actually, but if you really want to, just sit there for a while with the car off, foot on the clutch and play around with the gears, u'll look like a tool that's playing with himself, but it beats breaking your car :)
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Nah, it aint hard to get used too. Only issue I had was that it was a bit notchy at first. Cause when you install it, you also replace all the nylon cups where the stick meets the cable selectors. Just make sure you grease them up well & go for a bit of a test drive. After a few days it will bed in & you'll wonder why you didn't buy one earlier. Less movement in your arm to change gears = more time to fiddle with ya misses in the passenger seat 8)
Grue
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Grue »

Yup, I'd be interested
If you can't dazzle them with dexterity, baffle them with bull...
sublime19
Sooty!

Post by sublime19 »

Bennoz wrote: Less movement in your arm to change gears = more time to fiddle with ya misses in the passenger seat 8)
Wow, you should become a salesman... SOLD!

That comment just confirmed my decision :lol:
I'll be in depending on the price :wink:
kay_8
Apprentice

Post by kay_8 »

count me in, when will it start.