Group Buy: CCFL Rings to make Angel Eyes

FTO Club of Australia Group Buys. Want something cheap this is where to find it. The best deals for all our members

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

BorepYano
Forum Moderator
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Post by BorepYano »

jakey106 wrote:got them today dude think the posty was a bit pissed off but. By the way how do u wire them in lol
why was the postie pissed off? lol
and you just tap the wiring into whatever u want them to come on with (unless u want them to come on with your lights then u'll probably have to invest $5 in some wiring or... find some spare wiring, i'de suggest starting with your neigbours' washing lines, surely one of them would've been cheap and just used left over wiring for it lol), or if u r anal about it then u can always run its own wiring and a switch.

and nice work sparhawk, just curious, what did you use to stick the lights in? bog or super glue... or something else?
btw how long did it take u to do the whole thing? (i never timed how long it took me)

btw another thing i just remembered guys, super glue is my new best friend, the last set i made (the ones i took photos for the DIY), i was testing how strong the super glue will hold up to driving conditions, threw the lights into my boot for a week while driving like an idiot occationally (all to test the lights of course lol), not a worry at all :)

has anyone else put these babies in yet?
kiz wrote:
silverGPX wrote:This requires a thread? lol
There's potential for a thread about anything on FTO Australia
Sparhawk
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Sparhawk »

BorepYano wrote:and nice work sparhawk, just curious, what did you use to stick the lights in? bog or super glue... or something else?
btw how long did it take u to do the whole thing? (i never timed how long it took me)
Actually, I used Clear Silastic. The way I figured, its clear, and you cant really see it from the front, and being a bit rubbery, would absorb any shock, and thus protect the CCFL's a little more.
As for how long it took, I suppose it would depend on a few factors. How well you know how to get your lights out of your car for starters. I know where all the bolts i need to undo are, and if you just slide the front bar forward enough to get your lights out, instead of taking it off completely, you save time later trying to line it up when you put things back together.

Baking and getting the lights apart, probably half to one hour for both lights. Inserting the CCFL's was probably another hour for all four, and then drying time. Silastic dries slowly, so that was a fair while, but I entertained myself with other things while I waited, like running wires and installing the inverters in the car. Wasnt too hard, again easier if you know your way around the wiring diagrams and looms, and depending on how you want to wire them up. I have a switch on my dash so I can disable them quickly and easily, so I needed to run wire around the engine bay and thru the firewall, and up under the dash. Also I have it so just the blue comes on with parkers, and the whites only come on with low or high beam. That took about 2 hours in my case. (Hard to get to, and I'm a perfectionist when it comes to wiring)
Put the lights back together and reinstall in the car was about another hour.

So all up, was about 5 hours I guess. I wasnt rushing, and I installed a fog light relay at the same time I did the other dash wiring, so that would just be a ball park educated guess.

Edit: Also when I installed the CCFL's, and ran the wiring inside the light assembly, I didnt drill a big hole to fit the plugs thru as you suggested in your DIY. Instead, I drilled a small hole thru the lower surface of the light assembly, took the plugs off the CCFL's (that took me half an hour on its own the tricky little bastards) poked the wires thru, and re-attached the plugs. So I have the wires to the inverters coming straight out of the bottom, and I have mounted the inverters on the little matal bracket that sit below the lights in the car. Works out quite well actually.
[color=blue]Death is life's way of telling you - you're fired.[/color]
Oh Bugger, my sig block pic has dropped off the host ;(
jakey106
Mechanic

Post by jakey106 »

i was sitting on my couch playing with my laptop when i heard my security door open and than a thud against the wooden door than the security door close so i checked it out and heres the parcell between the security door and the main wooden door and the posty riding off dar say he was pissed off cause it couldnt fit in the letter box and i should of picked it up from the post office instead of him delivering it but ah well..
I attempted to start it but i had some troubles getting the front bar off it was wiggling but wasnt soming forward enough for me to take it right off hmm and than i was running out of light so im going to install it anouther weekend
BorepYano
Forum Moderator

Post by BorepYano »

Sparhawk wrote:I didnt drill a big hole to fit the plugs thru as you suggested in your DIY. Instead, I drilled a small hole thru the lower surface of the light assembly, took the plugs off the CCFL's (that took me half an hour on its own the tricky little bastards) poked the wires thru, and re-attached the plugs. So I have the wires to the inverters coming straight out of the bottom, and I have mounted the inverters on the little matal bracket that sit below the lights in the car. Works out quite well actually.
lol yeah i thought about only drilling a small hole and removing the connectors too, but i gave up after fiddling with it for 10mins and nothing moved. hahaha
and i think my inverters are zip-tied to piping somewhere in the engine bay (i'm lazy like that, one ofo my HID things is still sitting wedged in between the battery and airbox... was meant to fix it lol)
man you are Anal-retentive about it all arent you? lol
nice work mate, you should probably edit my DIY, what i did on the DIY was the easiest and quickest way.

Jakey106,
lol yeah aust post shouldnt leave anything for you that doesnt fit into your letter box, the postie should've taken it back with him to the post office and left it there for you to pick it up, he was probably just having a bad day lol.
although, i like to look at the silver lining of every situation... this proves my packaging skills is up to aust post proof standards lol - w00t leveled up to lvl 6 lol

anyways, I still have:
2sets of red (pretty sure they would be considered pink-ish lol)
1 set of white
1 set of green

gotta get rid of them, anyone interested still?
price's the same $55 for lights and $5 for postage.

actually i think i'll donate the $$ from the last set to the club if they want it.
OI! admin/mods/ben, does the club want my $$? lol
kiz wrote:
RalliartBoy
Mechanic

Post by RalliartBoy »

Have you still got any of these left or know where i can get some from ?
DRM34R
Grease Monkey

Post by DRM34R »

any left? wouldnt mind a pair of white
BorepYano
Forum Moderator

Post by BorepYano »

PM sent :)
kiz wrote:
BorepYano
Forum Moderator

Post by BorepYano »

I was just thinking about this... i think there's enough interest in this to do another round....

so i'm going to start a new thread in general discussions for expression of interest. here's the link

http://ftoaustralia.com/modules.php?nam ... 355#131355
kiz wrote:
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

And as such, I'll lock this one up.