GROUP BUY: CAI Kit and Air Box

FTO Club of Australia Group Buys. Want something cheap this is where to find it. The best deals for all our members

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

rxboy
Mechanic
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Post by rxboy »

One a half weeks since they told me they are sending mine immediately and I'm still seeing tumbleweeds drifting past my letter box 8O . I'll have to give them a call during the week and ask "what the f#%k?"
G_A_V
Veteran Mechanic

Post by G_A_V »

oi steve you got any of these left ?? im after just the box, i took my front bumper off an put in a funnel from where the diriving lights are ment to be on the version R bumper, and took out a crap load of old pipeing and worked out a way to use the unique box on a gr with the MAS
im just after the box
rxboy
Mechanic

Post by rxboy »

I finally got mine today :P but there was no snorkel in it :evil: ! I'll have to take it up with UAS tomorrow.

What is that little 15mm diameter pipe sticking out from the engine end of the intake pipe called?
SilentBob
Mechanic

Post by SilentBob »

rxboy wrote:I finally got mine today :P but there was no snorkel in it :evil: ! I'll have to take it up with UAS tomorrow.

What is that little 15mm diameter pipe sticking out from the engine end of the intake pipe called?
that would be the breather pipe, the annoying little silicon hose which lead to much of the delay in receiving these products from memory :)

SilentBob
rxboy
Mechanic

Post by rxboy »

Thanks SilentBob :P .

Would it be difficult to add the snorkel later after I've fitted the rest of the kit? I'm pretty impatient and want to install the pod and intake pipe NOW :D
smorison
The Godfather

Post by smorison »

rxboy wrote:Thanks SilentBob :P .

Would it be difficult to add the snorkel later after I've fitted the rest of the kit? I'm pretty impatient and want to install the pod and intake pipe NOW :D
doesn't matter when you install it, it'll take a few hours either way....
barfy
Mechanic

Post by barfy »

Got mine the other day, no snorkle or Hose clamp :( Ill give them a call tomorrow...

Is anyone having trouble fitting the intake tube due to the metal bar from the battery holder being in the way ?? Basically the tube is to wide !
rxboy
Mechanic

Post by rxboy »

smorison wrote:doesn't matter when you install it, it'll take a few hours either way....
A few hours 8O . I thought this would be one hour's work, 2 tops.
barfy wrote:Got mine the other day, no snorkle or Hose clamp Ill give them a call tomorrow...
Come to think of it I don't see any hose clamp either :cry:
rxboy
Mechanic

Post by rxboy »

Gave UAS a call today and they denied a snorkel ever existing in this kit. Didn't you Sydney-siders get one included?

I've sent Steve a PM - hopefully this will get sorted out soon :?
Boris
Oldtimer

Post by Boris »

barfy wrote:Is anyone having trouble fitting the intake tube due to the metal bar from the battery holder being in the way ?? Basically the tube is to wide !
Yeah, mine just fits, but the intake pipe rubs on the metal bar slightly, it has started to make an indent in the intake pipe, but i put some material to stop the rubbing as a temp solution.

When I get time, and find the perfect sized battery box that isn't too big I will move my battery to the boot.
rxboy wrote:A few hours 8O . I thought this would be one hour's work, 2 tops.
Well it took me like 30 mins to put in the intake pipe and heat shield, BUT it will take me like half a day I reckon to put the snorkel in, just cos I have to pull the whole front bar off to do it. Still a "to do thing" for me. :?
Name: Boris
Rides: Mitsubishi Evo 8 MR, Volvo XC60 & 3 push bikes!
G_A_V
Veteran Mechanic

Post by G_A_V »

pulling the front bumper off is not as hard as a lot of people think. here is a quick guide for dummies....
1) Pop the Bonnet
2) Locate the 2 screws at the top of the bumper and remove.
3) jack the car up (the car jack for changing a tyre is sutible, or even a big hill will give you enough room to get your head under[btw do not jack your car up on a hill])
4)Remove splash trays with a phillips head screwdriver, and a flat head will help pry them off
5) underneighth the splash trays there are 2 rails (in a manual its easy to spot the first near the gearbox) I think you need a 13mm socket and take out both screws (they are in a little hole sort of hard to describe but can take a photo for anyone)
6) finally there are screws under each wheel arch at the end of the bumper (where it meets the quater panel)
When installing the snorkel it is a little eaiser to remove the wiper jet fluid bottle, cause there is a bolt behind it holding the original air ducting
barfy
Mechanic

Post by barfy »

let me know how u get on rxboy
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

rxboy wrote:Gave UAS a call today and they denied a snorkel ever existing in this kit.
The kit as describe by Steve (first message in this section) includes a snorkle, but the kit as listed on the UAS site does not.

You can buy flexible piping about 1m long for around $25 from Autobarn, so you can always make your own snorkle. I bought one of these and chopped it in half and made two cold air feeds out of it, so it has twice the amount of cold air going in. :wink:
MIVEC is My Friend :D
Boris
Oldtimer

Post by Boris »

G_A_V wrote:pulling the front bumper off is not as hard as a lot of people think. here is a quick guide for dummies....
Yeah, thanks Gav... Mine is harder cos my front bumber is screwed, so it's really hard to put back on, due to an accident credit to the previous owner, but hey, atleast I have an excuse to get a new one day.

If anyone doesn't know by know, here is a link to some more instructions on how to do it, with pictures: http://www.mitsubishi-fto.org/workshop/

Good luck with with the CAI... man...
Name: Boris
Rides: Mitsubishi Evo 8 MR, Volvo XC60 & 3 push bikes!
Supplanter
Forum Moderator

Post by Supplanter »

ruchi wrote:
rxboy wrote:Gave UAS a call today and they denied a snorkel ever existing in this kit.
You can buy flexible piping about 1m long for around $25 from Autobarn, so you can always make your own snorkle.
Why should we have to pay for this pipe from Autobarn when we have already payed for a fitted snorkle from Stephen/UAS? :evil:
LED ALL the things.
rxboy
Mechanic

Post by rxboy »

barfy wrote:let me know how u get on rxboy
Stephen has sorted it all out and I will definitely be getting the snorkel sent to me :P . I assume that applies to all of us interstaters who originally went into the group buy.
rxboy
Mechanic

Post by rxboy »

Just received both clamps & snorkel. Very prompt :D

Have you received your kit James?
barfy
Mechanic

Post by barfy »

called UAS they are sending mine express post today :)
TimmyD
Mechanic

Post by TimmyD »

barfy wrote:called UAS they are sending mine express post today :)
what color thingy are u getting?
Supplanter
Forum Moderator

Post by Supplanter »

rxboy wrote:Just received both clamps & snorkel. Very prompt :D

Have you received your kit James?
Waiting
Waiting
Waiting...

It's not like I have a car to put it in at the moment anyway :roll:
LED ALL the things.