HID kit for $500 ($450 for group buy of 5+ $425 for 10+)

FTO Club of Australia Group Buys. Want something cheap this is where to find it. The best deals for all our members

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Are you willing to buy it for $500 or less within the next month?

Yes
38%
No
21%
Yes, but later
41%

Total votes: 29

efteoh
Grease Monkey
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Post by efteoh »

what i meant was that the factory had a run of the cars with HID, it might be leagal on this account.

eg. tranplanting engins in cars like a 3sgte turbo of a import MR2 and putting it into a local NA MR2, since MR2's were released with turbos, the engine swap is a lot easier to get complianced and engineereing aproval. as opposed to a swap without such a relation.

sorry if im not making sense :oops:

so on that accord, can i just slap HID's into my car and say they were a factory "option" :roll:

cheers'
HiRAEdd
Mechanic

Post by HiRAEdd »

efteoh wrote:so on that accord, can i just slap HID's into my car and say they were a factory "option" :roll:
I don't think so. The actual headlight assembly for the FTO with HID is different to the standard. I dare say if you got busted you would need to prove it was factory fitted. That being said, does anyone know if factory-fitted HID on an FTO passed compliance on import? I've never seen an FTO with HID headlights in Australia?

I think I'll just replace my high beams with HID's and put super blue's in my low beams.
efteoh
Grease Monkey

Post by efteoh »

i guess im more worried about insurance not paying up, i not worried about getting busted, but the fact that one of my friends insurance didnt pay up cos his steering wheel was 10mm smaller and he had racing pedals on his car.
HiRAEdd
Mechanic

Post by HiRAEdd »

Absolutely, they will use anything they can to avoid paying out money. I'm not sure whether it has to relate in some way to the accident or not. For example, if I have HID high beams fitted, but not turned on, I wonder if they could deny any claim I might make...
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

Read the "Duty of Disclosure" section on your policy and it should all be outlined.

The issue isn't so much the mods you have it's whether they are aware of them and whether they are legal.

Call me a prick if you like, but I have little sympathy for people who have illegal mods and then complain when they get caught by the police or their insurance won't pay up.
MIVEC is My Friend :D
MADFTO
Mechanic

Post by MADFTO »

I've got a GPvR with HID headlights. So they are compliancable.

Finding a GPvR to bring in however, that's a tough ask =)
HiRAEdd
Mechanic

Post by HiRAEdd »

I agree ruchi, I don't want to do anything to my car that can either get me in trouble with the Police or my insurance company should the worst happen. I also don't want others on the road to suffer just because I want bright headlights, hence all the research I'm doing. But if you really want me to, I'll call you a prick ;)
MADFTO wrote:I've got a GPvR with HID headlights. So they are compliancable.
As for you MADFTO, don't even talk to me, talk to the hand ;)
efteoh
Grease Monkey

Post by efteoh »

MADFTO wrote:I've got a GPvR with HID headlights. So they are compliancable.

Finding a GPvR to bring in however, that's a tough ask =)
well for people who DON'T have a GPvR :lol:
please read on :lol:

well...my insurance company said if its legal and they are aware of it, then sure. it's the legal bit that we are all trying to find out. has anyone found out through vicroads? and if they were released as a "option" in the cars, would it make them legal to retro fit? ie buying this kit.
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

HiRAEdd wrote:But if you really want me to, I'll call you a prick ;)
LOL! :lol:
efteoh wrote:if they were released as a "option" in the cars, would it make them legal to retro fit? ie buying this kit.
My understanding is yes.
G1
Mechanic

Post by G1 »

legalities aside, i myself have rarely experienced blinding from oncoming traffic, and i am aware of many riceboys out there with these HID kits installed on their cars. They don't seem to ever blind me for some reason.

The only time I've been blinded is from some 4WD's and idiots who setup their lowbeams on too high an angle. All car's lowbeams tend to blind you for a split second when they are going over a bump and coming towards you.

Has anyone seen or heard of police pulling people cars over to check that their HID lights are compliant to ADR, or for blinding oncoming traffic?
Disrespect is easy. Respect is the difficult road to take.
YFT-08U
Apprentice

Post by YFT-08U »

I have copy of the ADR's, so I will investigate the go

Jc
<P>[url=http://www.hotcarchicks.com][img]http://www.hotcarchicks.com/images/hotcarchicksBanner2.gif[/img][/url]</P>
MADFTO
Mechanic

Post by MADFTO »

HID setups should have the proper optics to provide a cutoff. That's why you'll never get blinded by OEM setups, they've actually got proper optics in them.

There's images on the net about HID optics =) Look them up and you'll see
HiRAEdd
Mechanic

Post by HiRAEdd »

G1 wrote:All car's lowbeams tend to blind you for a split second when they are going over a bump and coming towards you.
Yes but most cars lowbeams aren't nearly as bright as the sun :wink:
G1
Mechanic

Post by G1 »

Im saying even the non current jap cars with HID kits installed in them... they havent been able to blind me yet...

hiraedd i dont get your point...

my point was wheather its HID kit or OEM HID or standard yellow globes, it will blind you from oncoming and going over a speed hump
HiRAEdd
Mechanic

Post by HiRAEdd »

I can only go off what Queensland Transport is telling me. As far as the law up here is concerned, HID's must meet certain requirements as discussed earlier in this thread. Whether or not it's justified, HID's are typically much brighter and thus it is assumed that they will affect other road users more. Whether or not they or any other bulbs have yet to blind you on the roads is a moot point. How factory-fitted HIDs get approval over after-market kits is also a moot point.

I am assuming that the optics of the standard FTO headlight assembly was not designed for a HID bulb and thus it's possible that the way it will refract such a bright light could, in the eyes of the law and insurance companies, be dangerous. So my point is that the law and insurance companies make the rules. Whether we think they are right or not is beside the point. We can either follow them, or not.

For my personally, I am not prepared to fit something that could get me into hot water with a) other motorists, b) the law or c) my insurance company.[/i]
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

From memory the GPvR only uses HIDs for the high beams, the normal headlights are still the same as the GR/GPX (Eric, perhaps you could confirm this).

By the comments so far, I get the impression you're looking at replacing your standard globes with HIDs (not the high beams). This would be like driving around with your high beams on all the time (in fact, even brighter than high beams), so unless you are able to limit the spread of light you will be pissing off drivers in front of you and also probably will gain the attention of the police.

...just something to think about :wink:
G1
Mechanic

Post by G1 »

yes i understand your point completely :)

notice how i started with "legalities aside"

im just looking at the practical point of it, whether it really will blind oncoming traffic, and whether you really will be pulled over by the police, and the chances of insurance company refusing to payout coz they somehow found out you had a HID kit fitted and knew it was not standard and dont believe that it was an option on the FTO ;).

Just car paid me out over $26000 for my first FTO and i told them about my 17" wheels, body kit, and cd player afterwards and were happy to add it to the policy... perhaps if the accident was my fault they would have reacted differently? who knows...

in the end it's the individual's decision on whether they want to install the kit knowing all the implications...

I had a friend with the GPvR who had the OEM HID from Mitsubishi, and From the outside at least the assemble looked identical, i wouldnt be surprised if it was exactly the same with just the xenon bulb replacing the halogen one. im talking about just the light housing

as the for high beams, that should be no problem as 9005 bulb is carried by the manufacturer
HiRAEdd
Mechanic

Post by HiRAEdd »

G1 wrote:Just car paid me out over $26000 for my first FTO and i told them about my 17" wheels, body kit, and cd player afterwards and were happy to add it to the policy... perhaps if the accident was my fault they would have reacted differently? who knows...
Absolutely, they would have just hit the other person's insurance company up for the money, they could care less about what you have onboard if they're not the ones paying for it.
G1 wrote:I had a friend with the GPvR who had the OEM HID from Mitsubishi, and From the outside at least the assemble looked identical, i wouldnt be surprised if it was exactly the same with just the xenon bulb replacing the halogen one. im talking about just the light housing
Nup, as posted earlier, http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php? ... 0s248p1333 puts that thought to rest.
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

Actually, both of you are correct! :P

The globe camskill has listed is just the HID replacement globe it does not include the transfer/ballast. Obviously you need the transformer/ballast for this to work and I believe this is what their warning message refers to.
Camskill Website wrote:Fits ONLY models that come with HID bulbs. DO NOT ask if you can fit these to a normal FTO without mods as you cannot.
From the outside, the assembly should look similar, however, it should be quite apparent with an aftermarket kit that the cabling is different and likewise there's not a lot of places you can hide the box that drives the HIDs, so anyone looking for a modification should be able to see it fairly easily.
G1
Mechanic

Post by G1 »

yes i did say just the light housing, which is the only component that will affect how the light with refract. ie the optics