HID kit for $500 ($450 for group buy of 5+ $425 for 10+)

FTO Club of Australia Group Buys. Want something cheap this is where to find it. The best deals for all our members

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Are you willing to buy it for $500 or less within the next month?

Yes
38%
No
21%
Yes, but later
41%

Total votes: 29

ruchi
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Post by ruchi »

I don't think people are sceptical, I think they just want answers to their questions. :wink:

Typically the 3 main reasons people buy HIDs are because they are brighter, they are a different colour and because they last longer. Yet despite people asking, you have yet to find out how bright they are and what colour they are. You also haven't confirmed whether a DIY job voids the warranty or whether they have to be installed by a professional to maintain the warranty.

Also keep in mind that there was another group buy on HID's just a couple of weeks ago, so those who were interested may have bought there's already.
MIVEC is My Friend :D
G1
Mechanic

Post by G1 »

I thought I had answered them already, but I will spell it out here again

colour ranges from 5000K to 10000K, you choose it, and there is no price difference

I heard legal limit is 8500K

DIY is fine, does not void warranty

warranty is covered in Australia, the Sydney supplier will take care of all warranty repairs/replacements

if you check http://www.techone.com.cn/product1.html
there is a comparison chart with all information including brightness etc.

just one click away and all the answers are there, yeah but who can be bothered reading every post right? i would have thought a $450 buy would warrant the effort to do so...

anyway like i said, no huge rush... im just trying to offer something to fellow FTO'ers and if there is no interest at least i tried right... (i'll just get one for myself) i know there was another group buy, but 6 people did vote yes, so i hope i hear from you guys soon :wink:
Disrespect is easy. Respect is the difficult road to take.
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

hmmm... it seems there's a few things about HID's that you don't understand. But let's not turn this into a bitch fight. :P

I did have a look at the website, but the information in the comparison chart is generic and not specific to individual models.

So if we get specific, for the HB4 / 9006 model what colour options are there and what is the brightness (lumen output) of each? (The brightness should differ for each colour).
G1
Mechanic

Post by G1 »

basically, these are questions that i cannot answer unless i contact the manufacturer directly. i will see what i can get, but like i said this is all the info i have and you can feel free to do more research

the chart gives you a general guide on the improvements to expect but i guess for those of us who want specifics for each temperature for each bulb i will have to try my best to find the answers :wink:

it is obvious that it will be a huge improvement over halogen which ever way you go... and for me this is reason enough to just go for the upgrade
you can get any temp for our FTO bulb, I think they go up in 500K increments but not 100% sure at this stage. even if its 1000K increments im sure nobody will have a problem with this.

i will see if i can get your answers on the brightness, but are you trying to compare againsta competing product or just for the hell of knowing? did the group buy organiser in the other topic provide these details? would they be readily available? wouldnt brightness naturally become less at the higher temps?

i suppose if youre going for the blue look then go for the higher temps, if you want better visibility then go for the lower temps
ANBU_fto
Mechanic

Post by ANBU_fto »

grool.... im in for sure!!

but i know nothing of these lights except that they brighten up the road thats about it....

but i really want the bluey looking ones...
...groOl...

08 Evolution X - White
97 Gpx Fto - Racing Red
G1
Mechanic

Post by G1 »

*EDIT*
It took 3 emails to get the final info but here it is

COLOR TEMPERATURE LUMEN
4000K 3400
6000K 3200
8000K 2800
10000K 2400
12000K 2200

i think i will go for 6000

so whos up? PM/email me within this week to confirm, i just want deposits at this stage... one of my halogen blew yesterday.. its about time i changed to HID, im sick of my halogen bulbs blowing every few months, not to mention how badly they light up the roads...

Shenzhen Techone Tech Co., Ltd
Add: 1301, Bldg A, New Tech Plaza, Tian'an Cyber Park, Futian District,
Shenzhen, Guangdong, China
Tel: 86-755-83438287
Fax: 86-755-83432651
Email: power@gold-power.com
Last edited by G1 on Fri Aug 13, 2004 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
ellusion
Grease Monkey

Post by ellusion »

do any of you know the k rating of the new accord euro xenons?

I like the look of them :)...
tangcla
Apprentice

Post by tangcla »

ellusion wrote:do any of you know the k rating of the new accord euro xenons?

I like the look of them :)...
I think they're about 5000K.
ellusion
Grease Monkey

Post by ellusion »

so 8000k must be quite bluey??
tangcla
Apprentice

Post by tangcla »

ellusion wrote:so 8000k must be quite bluey??
Yep.
On my car, I have 7500K. Not that bluey, I like it :)
ellusion
Grease Monkey

Post by ellusion »

Hmm... that is quite bluey. The ground certainly looks more blue than white!
tangcla
Apprentice

Post by tangcla »

ellusion wrote:Hmm... that is quite bluey. The ground certainly looks more blue than white!
It's got to do with the white balance on the camera... left it on blue from an indoors scene :P

Here's a pic of 6000K globes on a Mazda 3.

HiRAEdd
Mechanic

Legalities of HID's in Queensland

Post by HiRAEdd »

Spoke to Queensland Transport and they advised that in Queensland, HID's must comply to ADR (Australian Design Rules) 77 and/or 78 (www.datars.gov.au). They must have an automatic leveling mechanism and must have a cleaning device. No idea on maximum lumina or kelvin rating.
Unfortuneatly it appears you can not download the full ADR so I'm not sure what it says. Would anyone have a copy of these ADR's *hopeful look*?
Probably a stupid question, but do these HID's have an auto leveling device? If not, does anyone know how much they are and how easy they are to fit?
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

The cleaning has been raised before but doubts were raised about this due to the fact that you can import cars with HIDs that don't have a cleaning mechanism without needing to modify them.
HiRAEdd
Mechanic

Post by HiRAEdd »

Yes, I read all that :) and that's fine, it's just the auto leveling device I'm concerned with.
I've got the number of a bloke in Canberra I think that can apparently shed more light on the ADR requirements, etc. so I'll post the results of that conversation if I can get a hold of him.
I really want these on my car but not at the expense of the vision of oncoming traffic :wink: My car's sexiness will blind them enough 8)
smorison
The Godfather

Post by smorison »

what exactly is an auto leveling device????

and how would it know what is level... i.e. your car is on a hill?
HiRAEdd
Mechanic

More info...

Post by HiRAEdd »

Well I've spoken to Narva, a supplier here in Australia and according to them, NO HID Kits are ADR approved, even with the washing device. Only factory fitted HID's are "legal" hence why you see them on some new cars. Incidently, the washing device is because in the rain, the HID light can refract all over the place and the people in front of you will see really pretty lights just before they are blinded and crash into your FTO ;) I mentioned that I might call the Police and ask their opinion and Narva informed me that I would be told I could not have them and that suppliers are obligated to inform any buyer that they are not ADR approved and are for "off-road use" only.

You can however replace your high beam and that is "legal" because you dip your lights in oncoming traffic, hence you can't blind people.

They couldn't tell me anything about the auto-levelling device other than the kits don't come with them. Technically, I don't know how they actually work but in short, they operate with your suspension (not sure if there's an actual connection or not) and keep your lights from blinding oncoming traffic. For example, when you go over a bump in the road, your car bounces and the levelling device prevents your beam from bouncing and possibly blinding oncoming traffic.

Just for interests sake, they can supply HID kits for "under $1000".
efteoh
Grease Monkey

Post by efteoh »

what if there was available in a particular run of the car, eg gpvr has HID (im pretty sure) from the factory. are there any exceptions made on that account?

thanks
HiRAEdd
Mechanic

Post by HiRAEdd »

efteoh wrote:what if there was available in a particular run of the car, eg gpvr has HID (im pretty sure) from the factory. are there any exceptions made on that account?

thanks
I think this site pretty well answers that question :P
http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php? ... 0s248p1333
I dare say you'd have to find a second hand set of the HID headlight ensemble from a GPVR.
MADFTO
Mechanic

Post by MADFTO »

*nods* and you can't just get the HID projectors units, the plug from the harness/loom to the ballast is not a HB4 plug/adapter, from what I can remember (I last looked at it in 2001) =)

So no retrofitting your FTOs with OEM HID unless you figure out how to re wire yoru loom with the right adapters =)

It's all fun and games.

Oh BTW, OEM price in 2001 for a replacement HID projector assembly is around 1.2k for one unit.