HID kit for $500 ($450 for group buy of 5+ $425 for 10+)

FTO Club of Australia Group Buys. Want something cheap this is where to find it. The best deals for all our members

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Are you willing to buy it for $500 or less within the next month?

Yes
38%
No
21%
Yes, but later
41%

Total votes: 29

G1
Mechanic
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Post by G1 »

btw, im not trying to start any arguments, just showing my perspective... i agree with almost everything that was said... i think we all learned a lot about HID in the last couple of weeks :)
Disrespect is easy. Respect is the difficult road to take.
efteoh
Grease Monkey

Post by efteoh »

speaking of optices in this case, i dont think should make a difference, its just the same shape of bulb. therefore the lense refacts and cuts off the light in the same manner. as we are still talking about "visible white" light the difference would be nonimal. Yes there is also light from the different gases get refracted differently.

im not too fussed about legalities, as more than half the cars here wouldnt pass a inspection by a analy retentive police officer. (exposed air filter, exhaust (epa).

its the insurance im really worried about, i guess i can switch the blubs over IF i ever get into an accident. or can i get these engineered certified?
G1
Mechanic

Post by G1 »

i think the optics on out headlights are quite "restrictive" already as it is anyway... just look at how piss weak the standard light beam is... other cars with similar globes/power produce much brighter beam
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

Does your supplier also have HIR bulbs? This could work out to be a better alternative.
MIVEC is My Friend :D
G1
Mechanic

Post by G1 »

youre gonna have to elaborate... provide links etc...
HiRAEdd
Mechanic

Post by HiRAEdd »

Hey G1, as per my private message, I want a set of these for my high beams. I'm assuming they will fit the high beam?
Anyway, can you still source them? If so, can you reply to the private message with details of how I can get a deposit to you, cost, etc.?

Whoa! Spooky, you were replying to my private message at the moment I was posting this 8O
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

G1 wrote:youre gonna have to elaborate... provide links etc...
HIR = Halogen InfraRed

HIR's offer a similar brightness to HIDs but at a lower cost. They are also a direct bulb replacement, so you won't have the legal and insurance issues like you could have with HIDs. It's as easy as switching over globes you don't need to install extra bits like you do with HIDs.

If you want more info, let me know, but I'll stop here to keep this message short. :wink:
mxysxy
Oldtimer

Post by mxysxy »

Ruchi, it will be great if you can drop a web link here where comparison of HIDs and HIR & halojens stuff.

I am seriously considering to get something better than halojens.

last week I went to Wilsons Prom at night, and, LOL, amount of pest animals in the middle of the road, just about the be chopped in to half via my spoiler, LOL

Stock halojens suck!!!
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

Loosely speaking, HIRs produce around twice the light of normal halogen globes, whereas HIDs produce around three times, but the HIRs are about a third of the price of HIDs and are a direct globe replacement.

If we can find someone in Australia selling these, they should be around $120 - $180 a set.

Generic figures
Halogen globes - 1,000 lumens
HIR globes - 2,000 lumens
HID globes - 3,000 lumens

Benefits
* Direct bulb replacement (avoid the legal and insurance issues of HIDs)
* Double the Light Intensity of Standard Halogen Bulbs
* 50% Longer Lifespan than Standard Halogen Bulbs
* 50% More Energy Efficient than Standard Halogen Bulbs
* Improved Beam Pattern over Standard Halogen Bulbs

Technical Stuff
A normal filament globe works by heating the filament to a point where it emits light. However most of the energy is lost in heat that does not reach a temperature high enough to turn into visible light. Something like only 10% turns into visible light the remaining 90% is emited as non-visible infra-red light.

Halogen InfraRed (HIR) bulbs are a halogen globe that has an infra-red reflective coating inside them. It emits visible light but won't let the infra-red light escape. As more and more infra-red light is kept within the bulb, it eventually gets hotter and as it does so it becomes visible light.

In simple terms it take the normally wasted infra-red light and heats it to the point where it becomes visible, thereby producing more visible light from the same wattage globe.
efteoh
Grease Monkey

Post by efteoh »

hmmm....sounds very interesting,

the poor lighting of the stock halgens is pathetic.

had a quick look at the HIR, only a few cars have them, (dodge and the new Camry! 8O )

cant seem to find anyplaces that sell them.
mxysxy
Oldtimer

Post by mxysxy »

Yeh, I realised that HIR has limited supply as well, It seems that mostly suitable for 4WDs.
MADFTO
Mechanic

Post by MADFTO »

For OEM HID Kit:
Normal driving headlights are HID.
High beams use normal halogen globe.

With the OEM Headlight cluster, the ballast is directly underneath the headlight assembly. I believe there will be a problem with this as the models that don't have HIDs do not have the space required to slot in the cluster with the ballast.

And in regards to the optics, next time we meet, we'll compare them.

I'm not sure what the optics on the GPX are but with the GPvR, there is a distinct hortizontal cut off line in front of both clusters, however around 20 degrees left of the center of the beam on the horizontal plane, the angle of the cut off changes from 0 degrees to around 25-30 degrees.

If the victorian's go on a night cruise, we can compare them at that point and take photos (without flast of course =P)
fto12345
Mechanic

Post by fto12345 »

Hey, does any one know why the other thread is locked?
It's good for that price I think...

So from this thread, if I get one now, how much would it be for my FTO?

Thank you for your help.
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

MADFTO wrote:For OEM HID Kit:
Normal driving headlights are HID.
High beams use normal halogen globe.
ummm... that should mean that your low beams are brighter than your high beams.
MADFTO
Mechanic

Post by MADFTO »

Correction to my post.
Change of angle occurs from center of the light beam and veers upwards at a 10 degree angle.

High beams are comparable brightness to my standard lights, however they do light up a hell of a lot in the center and above the cutoff line.

Almost like daylight in the center, but everyone's high beams should look liek that.
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

MADFTO wrote:High beams are comparable brightness to my standard lights
what a weird concept.
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

So as to not hijack this thread any further, there is a seperate thread for Halogen Infrared (HIR) globes here:

http://www.ftoaustralia.com/modules.php ... pic&t=3113
MADFTO
Mechanic

Post by MADFTO »

*laughs* kinda make sense to me.

Purpose of high beams is to totally light up the area in front of you.
Low beams are to light up the road and a small distance in front of you but not blinding other drivers at the same time.

So doesn't really matter if they are the same brightness.

Low and high to me signifies the angle of the beam projected, not the intensity *shrugs*

Anyways =)
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

I hear what you're saying, it's just not something most of us are used to. :D

As a matter of interest, I was reading yesterday that projector based setups are more welcoming of globe upgrades than what reflector based systems are, as the cut off is clearer and there is less dazzle associated with brighter globes. There's a plus for the FTO! :wink:
Spankmebandit

Post by Spankmebandit »

What an interesting disscussion. This is a good article that explains why a HID bulb conversion is indeed unsafe:
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech ... sions.html

Its copyright, so i can't post it, but basically explains what MADFTO was on about. HID lights have a different optic setup then halogen lights. A bulb replacement into an existing lens not setup for HID's will most probably dazzel on comming drivers and lose its effect.

Additionally I think you should be checking the legal lumens output of a low and high beam. This is the actual measurement of light. I've seen reference to low beam only allowing 1000 lumens +- 15%. So anything over 1150 lumens may be illegal. I saw reference to 3000+ in a post.

I better alternative would be to look at the entire light (bulb and lens) from a GPvR. But where in the world could we find one of them?
John.