HID kit for $500 ($450 for group buy of 5+ $425 for 10+)

FTO Club of Australia Group Buys. Want something cheap this is where to find it. The best deals for all our members

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Are you willing to buy it for $500 or less within the next month?

Yes
38%
No
21%
Yes, but later
41%

Total votes: 29

smorison
The Godfather
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Post by smorison »

i hate to put a negative spin on this but everyone should read that article...

it's very interesting and makes sense...
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

Hmmmm am I wrong by saying his article is base on reflective type headlight not projector type, which are use on FTO :?
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

He actually covers both.

He talks about the reflector but also talks about "lens", "cutoffs" and "polyellipsoidal optics" which all relate to projector headlights.

In short he is saying that the optics of the headlights are designed for halogen globes and by using a light source which produces a different type of light you will run into trouble.

This makes sense, it's a bit like two people swapping glasses; each has been optimised for their particular "optics".
MIVEC is My Friend :D
HiRAEdd
Mechanic

Post by HiRAEdd »

Well I was driving last night in my new FTO :D :D :D :D and so I was talking note of the cut-off point of the beam and it was well and truly below the dash height of other vehicles so my thinking is that assuming HID's throw light in the same way, it wouldn't be an issue.
My new query is how does the "cloudy" nature of the low beam FTO headlight affect the look of HID light?
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

That's part of the issue, they don't throw light in the same way. The light is emitted differently, it has a different focal point and different pattern and colour characteristics.
HiRAEdd
Mechanic

Post by HiRAEdd »

Yeah but what I'm saying is the standard headlights have a very definite cut-off point, a distinct line. I was watching it on cars in front and on concrete guards to the side of the car. It was certainly low enough not to worry other drives. Actually, I've now got to get used to being that much lower and having other cars headlights blind me!

Light is light is light so whilst it is brighter, my only issue is whether it will blind oncoming cars and I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't emit in the same direction as the current bulbs which would be perfectly ok. I just wonder what the blue tinge will look like coming through the cloudy low beam lamp.
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

Headlights are based on reflectors and lenses which require the light source to be located exactly at the focal point. If you alter this focal point by putting in a different shape globe or one which emits its light differently then all the angles, including the cut-offs, will be wrong. The article explains that this will occur with HIDs.

Trying to rectify this by re-aligning the headlights will be fruitless as the whole issue is that the optics are designed for a particular light source which is completely different, which goes back to the example I used of changing glasses with another person.

Not all light is the same. Different types of lights have different refractive properties which will lead to different light patterns and differences in visible and usable light. As an example, why do you think fog lights are yellow while driving lights are white? Yellow will penetrate fog while white will either bounce back off it or refract in it creating a white wall which you can't see through.
akuma3
Oldtimer

Post by akuma3 »

I think i'm getting it from the same place for $400 :D
G1
Mechanic

Post by G1 »

really how did yo manage that... please take some pics so we get an idea of what it looks like...

friend at work with SP23 had it installed recently, i havent checked it out yet, might even take some photos
Disrespect is easy. Respect is the difficult road to take.
akuma3
Oldtimer

Post by akuma3 »

well i don't know if it's the same dude but i'm sure it's the same brand HID, i just happen to know the dude hehe, when i get it done i'll take some pics yeh

is it hard to install yourself? :o
akuma3
Oldtimer

Post by akuma3 »

put it on already, doesn't look as bright as i thought because 8k is blueish colour :D
G1
Mechanic

Post by G1 »

any pics?

btw, did you have the silver spolier?
Disrespect is easy. Respect is the difficult road to take.
HiRAEdd
Mechanic

Post by HiRAEdd »

akuma3 wrote:put it on already, doesn't look as bright as i thought because 8k is blueish colour :D
That is soooo not what I want to hear about these lights considering I've just bought them. If my normal bulbs are better than these HID's, I'm gonna be really peeved.
tangcla
Apprentice

Post by tangcla »

akuma3 wrote:put it on already, doesn't look as bright as i thought because 8k is blueish colour :D
pfft. shoulda bought my kit. Not one person who has bought the kit I sell (over 70) have come back to me with problems. All have commented on how much brighter it is... :roll: :P

Well, like I say, you get what you pay for. Made in Germany is definitely a lot different than made in China :D
MuMan
Grease Monkey

Post by MuMan »

:roll:
Hey guys..
this sounds all very high tech and all that, but has anyone fitted these lights and can say if they are worth the cost or no?
I'm definetely interested if they do!
HiRAEdd
Mechanic

Post by HiRAEdd »

MuMan wrote:...has anyone fitted these lights and can say if they are worth the cost or no?
Yes, I have, talk to tangcla about his kit, that's the one I bought. Or see the other HID thread on the forum, I've written a review on them there.
tangcla
Apprentice

Post by tangcla »

HiRAEdd wrote:Yes, I have, talk to tangcla about his kit, that's the one I bought. Or see the other HID thread on the forum, I've written a review on them there.
Link? :)
<P>Phone modifications and repairs: <A href="http://www.tangcla.com/" target=_blank>www.tangcla.com</A><A href="http://www.tangcla.com/"></A></P>
HiRAEdd
Mechanic

Post by HiRAEdd »

tangcla
Apprentice

Post by tangcla »

pfft... that's not much use! :P
<P>Phone modifications and repairs: <A href="http://www.tangcla.com/" target=_blank>www.tangcla.com</A><A href="http://www.tangcla.com/"></A></P>
MuMan
Grease Monkey

Post by MuMan »

yeah thanks..
received an email about it :)

Anyone had any problem with discoloured headlights..like lenses?
My lhs one has this smokey tinge to it, both headlights are in mint condition, and I thought it was just a burned HB4 bulb..but it wasn't, seems to be inside the headlight..the lense. No idea what caused it or what to do to fix it??