* Event Results
* General Discussions

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

mezje
Mechanic
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Winton 25/11/17 Report

Post by mezje »

Disclaimer: First track day, feedback appreciated, keep in mind this is through the eyes of a complete noob.

University Time Attack 2017 was the event held by SUCC (Swinburne University Car Club), the event was great, got plenty of track time and luckily my group was relatively hassle free.

Group

Temp was always above 30C for pretty much the whole day.

4 Sessions were ran throughout the day, I was placed in arguably the slowest group. Fastest laps for each session below.
  • S1 - 2:02
  • S2 - 1:57
  • S3 - 1:54
  • S4 - 1:51
Final session times

Was flagged for leaking fuel in S2, I went to track with a full tank and when I gained more confidence and began to really push it in corners some leaked out the cap (tiny amount but enough to stain the rear quarter). Scrutineer check it over and agreed nothing was leaking, went fine for the rest of the day.

I managed to do about 20ish laps throughout the whole day, improving pretty much every single one. Luckily not many yellow flags during my session.
  • General Modifications: DGR coilovers (10 off full hard dampening), front and rear cusco strut braces, pilot sport 4s, rp01 wheels, 2.5" cat back w/reso and invidia rear muffler, EBC reds w/slotted and dimpled RDA rotors
  • Tyres: 28psi (rose to 32psi after hot laps)
  • Suspension: 0 toe front and rear, -2deg camber rear, -1.5deg camber front
The car definitely had more in it and the tyres weren't giving up, very impressed with Pilot Sport 4s, a few friends running RE0003s though their tyres were giving up towards the end of each session.

My biggest issue with the car was the seats, definitely going to be jumping back in a proper bucket seat for next event, miss the old Brix 1.5 I had in my Pulsar so I think I might get one of them again! The car did not chew any oil either which was really good and never felt down on power. On a few of the laps the brakes felt a little spongy but didn't change much, overall was really impressed with the EBC red stuffs. Next time though I think I will go braided brake lines and maybe some higher temp fluid.

The weather was pretty harsh, we saw 2 cars spin bearings, head gaskets blow and a bunch of other issues so I am glad the FTO came out unscathed. Lots of people underestimated it and it felt good beating some turbo cars.

Was really good to see constant improvement each session, I was very nervous at the start of the day. Can't wait to be back on track. Our team won most points overall which was a real bonus too, we were not expecting it at all.

If you have any questions let me know and I will do my best to answer.

Some other pictures from the day

bjk
Totes

Re: Winton 25/11/17 Report

Post by bjk »

Gotta be happy with only being slightly slower than an Evo :lol:
POWERED BY #TIMKNOTTMOTORSPORT: 2013-2016
Image Image Image Image
mezje
Mechanic

Post by mezje »

bjk wrote:Gotta be happy with only being slightly slower than an Evo :lol:
Yeah it was an 8 MR, he had issues all day and was pretty disappointed, I think he only got like 2-3 laps in
spetz
Oldtimer

Post by spetz »

I'd like to think that's a decent time for the first time out.
My first time there I managed a 1.48 but do hope to get this down significantly.

I've been to Winton twice so far and in my (limited) experience feeling good or bad about how much faster/slower you are than another car is pointless.
I was quicker than a new 911 turbo but obviously that had nothing to do with my car or me as a driver and everything to do with the 911 driver being shockingly bad.

My car is a 6A12 power Lancer coupe running coilovers and semi slick tyres... and a friend I was there with who had a stock 1.8 Lancer coupe on radial tyres (but much much more track time) did a 1.47.

I am hoping that in the right hands (mine soon enough) my car should do a low 1.40 and I'd expect an FTO with some mods to be somewhere there too
bjk
Totes

Post by bjk »

mezje wrote:
bjk wrote:Gotta be happy with only being slightly slower than an Evo :lol:
Yeah it was an 8 MR, he had issues all day and was pretty disappointed, I think he only got like 2-3 laps in
Must have been some pretty major issues :lol: