We're going racing! Oran Park Oct 31/Nov 1.

FTO's in Motor Sport.
* Event Results
* General Discussions

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Shane001
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

We're going racing! Oran Park Oct 31/Nov 1.

Post by Shane001 »

The car is finally log booked, we had another successfully practice day on Tuesday, still a couple of minor things to do but pretty much all sorted now for our first race meeting in the FTO :D

We'll be racing in the Production Sportscars 1 hour enduro, with qualifying at 9:40am on Saturday and a short race around 1pm on Saturday, then the 1 hour on the Sunday around midday.

The competition includes Porsche GT3's, RX7's, MX5's inc turbo, Lotus Elise's, a Ferrari & even a Ford GT-40 replica! Thankfully there are classes within the race so my class competition will be mostly non turbo MX5's.

As well as the Prod Sports, this meeting will include the National Sports Sedans, Improved Production, Formula Ford, HQ's and more! Should be a fantastic race event with a lot of cars and a lot of racing. This will be the last ever Championship round at Oran Park before it closes early next year to be bulldozed for housing.

So if you have no plans for the weekend come out and support us in the FTO! I want to see at least a dozen FTO's parked up in the car park! lol. I'll be in garage 27 with a Porsche so come say gday!

I'll be putting up some video of my fastest session at OP last week soon. Also more pics to come.

Looking forward to getting some serious seat time around OP in the FTO. With a bit of luck we might even come home with a trophy!! 8)
aza013
NSW Coordinator

Post by aza013 »

Do you know the cost of entery for spectators?
I may come down for the two days and check it out :twisted:
Shane001
Oldtimer

Post by Shane001 »

Very good quesion :) I'll post up the answer tomorrow, waiting on an email :roll:
aza013
NSW Coordinator

Post by aza013 »

Cool thanks :D
Shane001
Oldtimer

Post by Shane001 »

OK guys, cost is $15 for adults, kids under 16 free. Good value for a great day out :)

Link to event program;
http://www.nswrrc.com/race/Event%20Prog ... nd%206.pdf

PS: If anyone is thinking of coming out both days let me know and I can get you a weekend crew pass for $10. U will need to pay me by Wed morning though, I don't want to get stuck with tickets. PM me for bank details.
PPS: This is only for both days. Way too much hassle to save $5 ;)
Shane001
Oldtimer

Post by Shane001 »

All loaded up ready to go :D
aza013
NSW Coordinator

Post by aza013 »

Looks good I will be there Sunday to have a look see :D should be there at 09:00.
would you mined if I put the gopro camera on your car to get some footage?
Last edited by aza013 on Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shane001
Oldtimer

Post by Shane001 »

Nah mate, already got 2 cameras on the car :twisted:
aza013
NSW Coordinator

Post by aza013 »

Ok then.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

G'luck! :D
Shane001
Oldtimer

Post by Shane001 »

Thanks mate, should be a great weekend :D
Shane001
Oldtimer

Post by Shane001 »

Bit of a mixed day today.

Qualifying (as expected) was a bit of a write off. I had to bed new rotors and pads, which is hard enough to do in a qualifying session, but add 40+ cars, a lot of whom are 20 secs a lap faster than you and yeah it was a bit difficult (nigh impossible) to get a clean lap. So ended up second last :evil:

Race 1 was reduced to 5 laps due to lots of accidents in previous races. I made up a couple of places but then got baulked by an alfa and finished 32nd of 37 cars. My laptimes are improving every time I go out but my goal was a 1:26 in Race 1 and I only managed a high 1:27, so disappointed with that :x

But tomorrow is a complete different story. 1 hour on the track, over 40 laps, I'm confident of moving up a few places and my target laptime is a 1:24. I know the car can do it I just need to keep working on my fwd driving abilities lol. Will be interesting though, I've calculated that the faster cars on the track (supercharged Lotus / Porsche GT3 / Ford GT40) will be lapping me every 5 or 6 laps 8O

Going to be a great race though :D
koolio1234
Oldtimer

Post by koolio1234 »

Sounds like things didn't go your way, hopefully you do better on Sunday.

good luck and make us proud :thumleft:
[img]http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww104/thekrevolution/FTOFINALSIGNATUREcopy.png[/img]
aza013
NSW Coordinator

Post by aza013 »

What time is your race today?
Shane001
Oldtimer

Post by Shane001 »

There are no set times as the schedule may be delayed by accidents, but I expect somewhere between midday and 2pm start.

If your coming out though it's worthwhile coming out for the whole day, there's some pretty awesome racing going on in all categories, Sports Sedans & Improved Production are 2 categories worth watching :)
aza013
NSW Coordinator

Post by aza013 »

It was great to see an FTO run it's hart out against a lot of supper fast cars today, I have to say that I was inpressed to see how well it went over the hour in the heat and still stayed at a good running temp.
A big well done to you Shane for a great race.
Shane001
Oldtimer

Post by Shane001 »

Thanks Azza, and a big thanks to you for all your help today mate :D

Full write up and videos soon ;)

PS: was an awesome day's racing! 8)
Shane001
Oldtimer

Post by Shane001 »

What an awesome weekend of racing!

A big thanks to Aza for all his help on Sunday morning and during my pitstop. We nearly missed the start as I didn't expect our race to be so early, we made it to dummy grid just on the 2 minute siren! lol! And Aza saved the day with the rear view camera, I forgot to put the memory card in so he made a last minute dash back to the garage to get his and had it all back in and on just as we started pulling out of dummy grid! Well done mate. And yes the 1GB card did record also, so we have the whole race both front and rear view :)

We got a pretty good start and could have passed one of the MX5's in front, but I decided to play it cool and tuck in behind into turn 2. I haven't raced with these guys before so I don't know how good they are or how well they check their mirrors. With a 1 hour race I didn't want to get knocked out on the first lap. I passed him on the straight next time around, then a second MX5, then the Lotus was on our tails already (after only 5 laps!) and while letting him past I snuck in behind him and passed another MX5. So I'm now up 3 places and pulling away!

Time to settle into a rythm. Nope, there's a GT40 in my mirrors, then several Porsches, then another Lotus, then more Porsches, then the leading Lotus again, then... lol! I spent more time looking in my mirrors than I did focusing on my apex points. I managed to keep pulling away from the MX5's though, but my tyres were starting to go off already. We started with too much pressure, was perfect for the first 5 or 6 laps but after that they were too 'hot'. We pitted at about the 35 min mark and I decided to drop 2psi out of each tyre. I didn't realise how long this would take and we dropped 2 laps as a result. In hindsight I should have just lived with it. Immediately I was 1 to 2 seconds faster, but this no way made up for the 3 mins lost in the pits...

I didn't get anywhere near my target laptime, the best I did was a 1:27.3, still faster than yesterday though, and most of the cars were 1 to 2 seconds down on their Saturday laptimes. It must have been 40 degrees on track (it was 30 in the shade in the garage) and there was bits of rubber everywhere being ripped off tyres (u can actually see chunks of rubber being thrown up constantly in my rear view cam!). So track condition was... interesting... lol.

I had 2 big moments, one braking into the esses, I turned a little too sharp and the back stepped out big time. Luckily the FTO is fwd - I just floored the accelerator and pulled her out. If it had been a rwd I would have been toast, would have gone spinning into the infield lol!

The other big moment was going into turn 3 at about the 20min mark. A white porsche had just exited the pits, I had another Porsche and several other cars closing fast into turn 2. Coming out of turn 2 I got stuck in the middle of the road with one porsche passing on the outside and the white porsche fresh out of the pits trying to pass down the inside. Of course he spun, right in front of me! How the porsche on the outside missed him is a miracle. I'm on the anchors trying not to t-bone him in the drivers door, while praying with everything I had that the 3 cars behind wouldn't clean me up! Thankfully I pulled up enough and he rolled off the track so I was able to pull forward and not get hit from behind! Big moment but we survived.

It's a huge achievement just to finish one of these races, there were 9 cars that dnf'd, including some of the best prepared cars including the GT40 & the Ferrari. So to finish and finish intact was a big relief, especially in the conditions. Not bad for a mostly stock FTO! Overall though it was a surprisingly incident free race, several porsches and lotus's spinning out, but no major crashes and no safety cars. Always a good thing!

I'll be posting up video highlights in the next week or so, just need to find some cheap software that does picture in picture, so watch this space 8)

PS: A big thanks also to Glen and all the boys at Kmart Tyre and Auto in North Rocks for all their support. If u need tyres this is the place to go :)
Last edited by Shane001 on Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aza013
NSW Coordinator

Post by aza013 »

Happy to help out mate as it was great fun.
That's good to know that the 1G card worked as I could not stop thinking about that, as I said to you due to the sun I could not see any of the desplay lol.
Can't weight to see some of the vid :D

also could you PM me the info of the in car camera please.
And a big thanks to you to for a fun day at the track.
Shane001
Oldtimer

Post by Shane001 »

Thanks Aza, u're welcome anytime.

Interestingly I checked my GPS data last night, we were almost 10kph down on top speed on the straights.

Not knowing how much fuel we would use in the 1 hour and with re fueling not allowed, I decided to fill the tank just to be sure. I pumped 26lts out of the tank last night using the fuel return line, which leaves about 10lts still in the tank.

So we only used around 25lts! Which means we were carrying 30lts more fuel than we needed to. That's 25kgs! There's my 1:26 laptime lol!