* Event Results
* General Discussions

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

nvr2low
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Drags friday night

Post by nvr2low »

Hey guys drag season is back on Friday night. I will be taking the car down and giving it a flog. Changed the oil on sat so it has fresh oils. I am hoping with the new tune I can crack into the 13s. Only thing that will be stopping me is I need new tires for the street as mine are bald lol. I have 2 spares on rims but won't fit until I gt the coilovers on. I will proberly not get any video footage as I don't have a vidcamera but will post up the time slips
nvr2low
Oldtimer

Post by nvr2low »

Car is getting new tires tommorow so all set for the drags Friday night. Also going to check the car very carefully as I don't want to break anything
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Well, I took off down the motorway in a gut busting hurry yesterday & *Bang!* popped the main line from the intercooler off :lol:

Had to limp it to a servo to buy another hose clamp & nip it all back up. Lesson learnt was do up your air lines f*cking tight!
nvr2low
Oldtimer

Post by nvr2low »

Bahaha my mate has done that before at powercruise flying down the straight next minute bang lolhe thought he blew the motor up haha. But hose clamp let go and pipe came off. Lol my hose clamps are super tight you need a 10 mm ring spanner to do them up. I wish I had my coilovers this week so I could stiffen the rear
nvr2low
Oldtimer

Post by nvr2low »

Well the drags went like crap. Had a massive problem trying to get traction even with new tires. Also couldn't get it into 3rd for some reason. Then it poured down in rain and ruined the hole night.
I couldn't get traction in 1st 2nd and when I got it into 3rd she spun for abit then grabbed finally lol.
aza013
NSW Coordinator

Post by aza013 »

When did you get the rubber put on?
As new rubber needs to be run in to get the top coat off them if not they will not get tracktion at all.
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

Aye, it happens Bennoz .. you should check out the clamps from http://www.norma.net.au/norma-gbs.html

I got a full set of 16 for around $130 ..
nvr2low
Oldtimer

Post by nvr2low »

Damn it I new I should have put my old tires back on the front as I have them on 2 spare rims. I only gt the tires on thursday lol
FTEvolution
Oldtimer

Post by FTEvolution »

nvr2low wrote:Damn it I new I should have put my old tires back on the front as I have them on 2 spare rims. I only gt the tires on thursday lol
Always happens with tyres; my best consisten times were with standard 16's and bridgestone potenzas with about 15 psi of air. But you are right; until you have some way for stiffening up the rear there is too much weight transfer coming off the front wheels at take off.

What sort of trap speeds did you post?
[img]http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z285/ftevolution/ftevolution-1.jpg[/img]

Smooth and sleepy

All of lifes problems can be cured with a 6A13TT
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

Have you got coilovers yet mitch?
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

mr-charisma wrote:Aye, it happens Bennoz .. you should check out the clamps from http://www.norma.net.au/norma-gbs.html

Only issue is, I'd need about 30 of them :lol:

I went with the German Wurtz ones for the time being. Plus nipping them up with ring spanner as opposed to screw driver.
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

Bennoz wrote:
mr-charisma wrote:Aye, it happens Bennoz .. you should check out the clamps from http://www.norma.net.au/norma-gbs.html

Only issue is, I'd need about 30 of them :lol:

I went with the German Wurtz ones for the time being. Plus nipping them up with ring spanner as opposed to screw driver.
These ones all use spanner / sockets to tighten up as well.
nvr2low
Oldtimer

Post by nvr2low »

I have ordered my new coilovers Simon they should be here next week or this week I hope. Will be looking at getting some ford 16 inch Rims and some street slicks just for the drags when I get money. Ben did u see my question about your intercooler piping from your turbos to your intercooler.
Ftevoultion man I was running 106mph at the end so soon as I get traction she gets down and boogies.
FTEvolution
Oldtimer

Post by FTEvolution »

nvr2low wrote:I have ordered my new coilovers Simon they should be here next week or this week I hope. Will be looking at getting some ford 16 inch Rims and some street slicks just for the drags when I get money. Ben did you see my question about your intercooler piping from your turbos to your intercooler.
Ftevoultion man I was running 106mph at the end so soon as I get traction she gets down and boogies.
That trap speed is good for probably a mid to low 13; I was getting consistent 13.8's over and over with a trap speed of 100 flat. When I dipped into the high 12's I had trap speeds of around 111-113, lost my slip though so can't confirm exactly :S

You want to use standard rims with bugger all air in the tyres (if you can borrow some semi slicks, that would be perfect) as low profile tyres just spin because of no movement in the side walls of the tyres. You also need to stiffen up that rear end, even just a set of new springs and shocks, though coilovers would be better because they can be adjusted farkin hard for racing and nice and comfortable for the road :)
[img]http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z285/ftevolution/ftevolution-1.jpg[/img]

Smooth and sleepy

All of lifes problems can be cured with a 6A13TT
nvr2low
Oldtimer

Post by nvr2low »

Hey man thanks a lot for all the advice I am trying to find some old shorty rims off a falcon. I have never dropped the tire pressure as I always have to drive home on the same tires. So next drags I will have the coilovers in and try and stiffen the rear and also smaller wheels with higher profile tires with hardly any air. I will also try and get 3rd haha and stop being a dikhead and missing it.
Damn man I think I am along way off running 12 that is really fast.
sxcfto
Mechanic

Re: Drags friday night

Post by sxcfto »

Hi Guys ... it's been a while but I have just hit the scene again .... and yes Im trying my hand at the drags ..... although it hasnt really been a part of my history .. always been something I wanted to try ... had my first race at Calder a few weeks ago and got 16.9 sec on the quarter with 1.15 sec reaction time .... last night dragged again ad got 16.2 sec with .554 reaction time ..
I have a few questions if any of you can answer them .... 1. firstly ... what sort of damage can drag racing do to the FTO ? 2nd What sort of things could help my times if I do them to the car mods. etc .. 3. I read about dropping tyre pressure I have 16's on the car what tyre pressure should I be running on the track ... I have a manual and Im scared Im going to break something but I really want to give this as good a go as any so all your feedback would be appreciated .. thanks SXCFTO
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

sxcfto wrote:Hi Guys ... it's been a while but I have just hit the scene again .... and yes Im trying my hand at the drags ..... although it hasnt really been a part of my history .. always been something I wanted to try ... had my first race at Calder a few weeks ago and got 16.9 sec on the quarter with 1.15 sec reaction time .... last night dragged again ad got 16.2 sec with .554 reaction time ..
I have a few questions if any of you can answer them .... 1. firstly ... what sort of damage can drag racing do to the FTO ? 2nd What sort of things could help my times if I do them to the car mods. etc .. 3. I read about dropping tyre pressure I have 16's on the car what tyre pressure should I be running on the track ... I have a manual and Im scared Im going to break something but I really want to give this as good a go as any so all your feedback would be appreciated .. thanks SXCFTO
Hey Toni, long time no see on here!

Drag racing puts strain on everything, but more specifically the drivetrain. Ie clutch, gearbox, driveshafts etc.

I can't remember, but do you have coilover suspsension?

With your tyre pressures you should be dropping the front down to about 20psi, or even lower - and pumping the rears up to say 40psi.
That way the car won't bog down on its haunches as much when you launch & you should get more traction up front.
As per, always give yourself a reasonable burnout heading into staging to get some heat in the front tyres.
sxcfto
Mechanic

Post by sxcfto »

ahhh thanks Bennoz ... yes been a while but still here with my faithful fto :) .... Ok cool will consider the tyre pressure thing on my next run and no dont have coil overs never really had much luck trying to find good people to work on the FTO in melbourne's west ... so if anyone has any suggestions will be warmly welcomed!! Would love if any other FTO goer's would come down on a friday night drag session see how we go !! Catch you all soon ;)
SG
Veteran Mechanic

Post by SG »

I was told that doing a burnout on street tyres gives you less grip because the oil or something like that seeps out and makes em greasy?

Other things that wear at the track as i found out a long time ago was the exhaust... my wheels hopped a bit too much one time and it shook the exhaust and by the end of the track i lost my tip and my muffler was dragging along the ground >.< :p

Engine oil is good to replace too, dirty oil is what wears the engine and you wear the engine quite a bit at the drags so the cleaner the oil the less wear you're doing...

And for wheel hop a tight strut bar helps and so does a caster kit :thumleft:
sxcfto
Mechanic

Post by sxcfto »

Thanks guys all the help I read I take on board and appreciate all your feedback !!
I did a photo shoot at Calder Park today to promote females in Drag racing and yes there were 2 FTO's in the shoot so be on the lookout in the coming days or week for it in the Herald Sun .. more PR for FTO's whoohoo!