* Event Results
* General Discussions

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

mr-charisma
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Re: Drags last night

Post by mr-charisma »

what options are available for an LSD in an FTO?

From what I've read on the forums they're not the most reliable?

any advice on which would be best to install would be great ..
Shane001
Oldtimer

Post by Shane001 »

Cusco, or better still, install a spool ;)
SG
Veteran Mechanic

Post by SG »

The best are the Quaiffe lsds from what ive heard because they're torque sensing so they act like an open diff on the road, and when one wheel cant put power down it winds up the other wheel with the more grip, instead of doing the opposite as in for an open diff.

With cusco there are RS and MZ, MZ is for drags (primarily) and it locks boht wheels straight away when you accelerate regardless of steering angle (there might be the tiniest bit of give but it'll generally jerk the car or spin the inside if you accelerate and turn sharply) so you have to hold on tight if you really put the foot down. The RS has more give... and the Quaiffe acts the best for on road afaik because it acts just like an open diff.

Dave from RPW replaced a Cusco MZ with a Quaiffe in his TT Magna and he said he got the same time at the drags (to the .001) and much better onroad performance so i would go for one of them but they are expensive as. i think at least twice the cost of a cusco.
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

spool eh? Image
Last edited by mr-charisma on Wed May 19, 2010 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shane001
Oldtimer

Post by Shane001 »

torque sensing diffs are not as strong as a quality clutch lsd, but in the case of the FTO that wouldn't normally be a problem (except maybe in Ben's case lol). The one draw back of the torque sensing diff is when one wheel has no traction, neither has. Ie on a racetrack u don't want to lift a wheel too often :) Also a good 1.5 way or 2 way clutch LSD will generally be more 'consistent' in it's distribution of power under acceleration than a torque sensing diff. For drag racing (or even circuit racing) the spool rules, followed by a good 2 way or 1.5 way LSD. For the street the torsen will be more driveable though.
Last edited by Shane001 on Wed May 19, 2010 9:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Shane001
Oldtimer

Post by Shane001 »

A diff spool is a diff center that replaces the standard diff with a solid lump of metal, ie no moving parts. This will be about half the weight of a normal diff, and locks both wheels together all the time. If a quality unit it is virtually unbreakable and provides the best straight line acceleration and also is very good on a racetrack as it provides a consistent distribution of power lap after lap.
FTEvolution
Oldtimer

Post by FTEvolution »

Shane001 wrote:A diff spool is a diff center that replaces the standard diff with a solid lump of metal, ie no moving parts. This will be about half the weight of a normal diff, and locks both wheels together all the time. If a quality unit it is virtually unbreakable and provides the best straight line acceleration and also is very good on a racetrack as it provides a consistent distribution of power lap after lap.
My god, have you ever driven an FTO with close to 300HP atw? Have you ever driven a locked RWD car? Have you ever thought of how much of a bitch it would be to drive a FWD with a locker as a daily? Come on now, that's terrible advice!
[img]http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z285/ftevolution/ftevolution-1.jpg[/img]

Smooth and sleepy

All of lifes problems can be cured with a 6A13TT
Shane001
Oldtimer

Post by Shane001 »

FTE, read my post before the explanation of a spool. I suggested this was the best option for the drag strip and arguably for a race track. I didn't suggest this was the best option for the street.

And yes my previous racecar was a 300rwhp turbo Supra with a lock diff.
bushido
Oldtimer

Post by bushido »

I think my Cusco is quite liveable (*cough cough*). 8). The worst part of it is when you have to turn left or right from a standstill and feather the throttle it clunks all the way around. If you push down on the throttle to make the diff lock you go around much faster without the clunk but your tyres screech...Theres no subtlety to it..I feel like a tool sometimes hehehe

Well Mitch if you ever blow your gearbox and have to replace it with a GR one I still have my Mitsu LSD
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
###########Unofficially the loudest FTO in NSW???##########
nvr2low
Oldtimer

Post by nvr2low »

Hey Steve mate I wouldn't even know what gearbox is in the car ATM man all I know is that it is a 5 speed manual lol
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

bushido wrote:I think my Cusco is quite liveable (*cough cough*). 8). The worst part of it is when you have to turn left or right from a standstill and feather the throttle it clunks all the way around. If you push down on the throttle to make the diff lock you go around much faster without the clunk but your tyres screech...Theres no subtlety to it..I feel like a tool sometimes hehehe
Hahahaha. That exactly what its like trying to manouver my car around at slow speeds. You either feather it to avoid the clunk as you say, or nail it and wheelspin off :lol: There's no happy medium!
nvr2low
Oldtimer

Post by nvr2low »

Well I want a cusco were do I get one I will save for one if I have to lol. Hey Ben any luck at your workshop about them pipes and how much did it cost you for your pipes man
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

what prices are we talking for the Cusco vs Quaiffe?

Where is the best place to pick them up from?

And are there any probs with the Quaiffe I would need to know about?
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Mine's a Cusco MZ 1 way. I got it from Yahoo Japan, landed here for about $650.

Have a sift through Import Monster (translates Yahoo Japan)

http://www.importmonster.com.au/yahoo?cat=0&term=fto
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

They've actually got 3 on there at the moment. Gen Cusco units brand new.

http://www.importmonster.com.au/yahoo?c ... rm=fto+lsd
nvr2low
Oldtimer

Post by nvr2low »

sh*t that is a lot of money for LSD lol will I have to change drive shafts after installing the cusco LSD or can I use the same ones
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

nvr2low wrote:sh*t that is a lot of money for LSD lol will I have to change drive shafts after installing the cusco LSD or can I use the same ones
Thats the million dollar question mate. Hence above, you were asked what type of box it is....
If the diff fits a GPX box, you'll need the GPX shafts - they could be 25 or 27 spline
If the diff fits a GR box, you'll need the GR shafts - they could also be 25 or 27 spline

Steve couldn't get all his bits to match up, so they ended up machining bits out to make them fit...
nvr2low
Oldtimer

Post by nvr2low »

Bahaha i wouldn't have a clue what box it is man. I bought the box off a person down south and bought the driveshafts from a dude that got them in Asia and they fitted no worries.
bushido
Oldtimer

Post by bushido »

lol aftermarket LSDs and unknown gearbox and mystery driveshafts... thats a headache for sure!

I got my Type MZ (1.5 way :tongue: ) for 800 landed (although postage was almost 200 due to getting it here express in 3 days from Japan).

Still good value though considering the damn thing was almost if not fully new. I did a quick search on ebay and the sucker was there. Didnt think twice and bought it on the spot :lol: .RRP is $2600 I think
###########Unofficially the loudest FTO in NSW???##########