* Event Results
* General Discussions

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

SG
Veteran Mechanic
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Post by SG »

lol.. so your happy to leave it pointing fun at me

im trying to say theres no way an lsd would produce torque steer in a straight line...

then i said an lsd can cause torque steer around a corner because when you accelerate it pulls to one side, and then quoted the mazda 3 mps cause it splits the torque depending on steer angle etc (or whatever), and would have a bigger effect.
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

Ok ok hehehe :wink:
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
Oliver89
Oldtimer

Post by Oliver89 »

What does Bennoz get down the 1/4 mile ?
Proud Owner Of a White ( Version R ) Aero Series 1998 Mitsubishi FTO 24v 2L Mivec Engine. Fresh Import.
[img]http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/2568/fbsig.jpg[/img]
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Best I managed was a 15.7 flat...

Been meaning to get back out now that I've got some semi's on the front, the old cooked Falkens I had on last time really had trouble sticking to the strip.
RallyMad
Oldtimer

Post by RallyMad »

Could people share some launch tactics and maybe some 60foot times to back this up (ie. whether it works or not.) My best was 2.4 launching at around 3500 but way too much wheel spin.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Yeah, I tried a number of tactics, none of which really worked.... I tried low rpm launches around the 2750 mark, but when I dumped it after that it bogged down on me (which is a tune issue I believe - sacrifice low end for top end) then I tried 3500 & upwards & it became a matter of controlling the wheel spin with throttle. That also complicated matters with the clutch spinning up on me (I think its on its way out again.)

I also found myself 'beating' the clutch with my changes - ie I had got it into second & dumped the clutch & it 'bounced' on me & bogged the rpm down for a sec, then took off. So I think I need a pressure plate with a harder clamping force.

My slips are at work thou, I'll pop up my 60 foot times tomorrow.

Next time, im gonna try & launch around 3500 & if it does spin up the semi's I'll back up a bit on the throttle, but effectively with these tyres I should be able to launch harder.

Im also gonna try & play with my Teins settings - especially on the rear. Im thinking if I wind up the damper nice & hard on the rear, it'll stop the back of the car bogging down when the front comes up. Should be some good number comparisons when I go out again.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Oh and did you drop your tyre pressures? I dropped mine down to about 20 psi, its gonna be another variable to play with next time.
Delvance
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Delvance »

This video may give some ideas
http://members.optusnet.com.au/darkdevourer/FTO2.wmv

When i really want to move, i launch my car at 4k rpm's. Doesn't really wheelspin, but screeches then goes off. I've tried the 6.5k rpm launch like in the video before but i just got a whole lot of wheelspin. My 4k rpm launches net me 6.5s 0-100.
RallyMad
Oldtimer

Post by RallyMad »

Bennoz wrote:Oh and did you drop your tyre pressures? I dropped mine down to about 20 psi, its gonna be another variable to play with next time.
Yeah, I think that is another part of my issues. I was still running full street psi (around 32-35). It's about an hour to willowbank for me and a fair way back to a servo to reinflate. Am a little concerned about damaging my 17's. Then again if you run 20 I'd say I should be safe letting some out? How low would you Go? :D
Delvance
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Delvance »

As low as need be :D
FtoSam
Oldtimer

Post by FtoSam »

drove the car to willowbank yesterday...

was scorching hot but still netted a 14.045 at 105mph (167kmh) in street trim (subs, etc still in, cheap tyres, no lsd, standard suspension, etc etc)

Very happy with the result.. boost sat between 4 and 5psi the whole way down...

backed it up with a 14.102 straight after... exact same MPH...

cant wait for more boost..

If you need good deal on photography, let me know.
RallyMad
Oldtimer

Post by RallyMad »

well done Sam, I'd think maybe the stock suspension would help......not sure though
FtoSam
Oldtimer

Post by FtoSam »

Ready

Compare the trap speeds.. lol
will find a video of the other thing... but christ she was noisy...

FtoSam
Oldtimer

Post by FtoSam »

RallyMad wrote:well done Sam, I'd think maybe the stock suspension would help......not sure though
Stock suspension = bad...

The problem with FWDs is under take off, all the weight is transfered to the rear of the car making it loose a lot of traction at the front...

with coils, i'd just set the rear to maximum hardness to stop it from "squatting" and should improve my off the line performance drastically

aza013
NSW Coordinator

Post by aza013 »

good job Sam :D
also another trick is to jack the back up put some rubber blocks in between the springs and drop it back down less play in the ass end and more weight for the front :D
RallyMad
Oldtimer

Post by RallyMad »

FtoSam wrote:
RallyMad wrote:well done Sam, I'd think maybe the stock suspension would help......not sure though
Stock suspension = bad...

The problem with FWDs is under take off, all the weight is transfered to the rear of the car making it loose a lot of traction at the front...

with coils, i'd just set the rear to maximum hardness to stop it from "squatting" and should improve my off the line performance drastically
:lol: ignore me, I obviously wasn't real awake when I posted that.....

So looking at the trap speeds you had a lot of issues launching it? I struggled to launch when I went but I'm still blaming that partially on the clutch ;)
FtoSam
Oldtimer

Post by FtoSam »

yeh... launching was pretty hard... but pretty much all of 1st gear was wasted with wheel spin...

hopefully will see an improvement with some coils and slicks

RallyMad
Oldtimer

Post by RallyMad »

I'd be interested with the tyres thing. Read something recently that semi slicks etc are good for drag racing as the compound is wrong, I think MT's and the like are a way different compound. I think it was something to do with a semi slick needing a lot of heat to get to optimum grip which drag racing isn't real condusive to, but Micky T's warm up a lot faster. How have you found your semi's for drag racing Bennoz?
aza013
NSW Coordinator

Post by aza013 »

you are right with the semi slicks they do need o be hot to work there best but I dont think Sam would have a drama heating them up :twisted:
RallyMad
Oldtimer

Post by RallyMad »

:lol: fair enough......good point aza :lol: