* Event Results
* General Discussions

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

RichardH
Grease Monkey
jedwabna poszewka promocja

FTO *is* a race car!

Post by RichardH »

Last Sunday was the finals of the MC Motorsport driving comp series. Mine was the only FTO in a field comprised of Lotus Elise, Skylines, Porsches, WRX (30 of the bloody things - they're like flies at a barbecue) and the odd Clubman and EVO VIII.

Six tight, rain-soaked courses later, and I'd claimed 7th place out of a field of 74!

That's by far the best result I've ever managed in the two years or so I've been competing... and don't it feel good!!! :D

Some more details up on the West Aussie 'FTO Drivers Club' website - http://www.ftowa.com, including a full Finals event timesheet on the 'Motorsport' page.

Now, it's off to find any FTO-related forum I haven't posted on yet! Gotta get 'em all... :D

- Rich
mrx
Veteran Mechanic

Post by mrx »

Congratulations! Good to see you showing that the car does deserve a little more respect than it usually gets.
Boris
Oldtimer

Post by Boris »

That's absolutely awsome, having a look at the list of cars... impressing... if only they had these things around our side of the country!

Well Done :lol:
Name: Boris
Rides: Mitsubishi Evo 8 MR, Volvo XC60 & 3 push bikes!
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

Fantastic effort Rich :D :D :D

And I've notice your team really is "What The??" with the combination of cars on your team ehehheh
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
sxcfto
Mechanic

Post by sxcfto »

Great Result awsome to see .... I always knew it could do it and Im going to insist that they all take back anything bad said about FTO's as they are so underated as a sports racing car !! :wink:
The Chase is better than the Catch !
RichardH
Grease Monkey

Post by RichardH »

FTO338 wrote:Fantastic effort Rich :D :D :D

And I've notice your team really is "What The??" with the combination of cars on your team ehehheh
Yes, that's the team fielded by Russell from WA Suspensions. Quite a mix! One of the standout vehicles earlier on in the year was a top condition Walkinshaw Holden... an awesome vehicle. A heavy car... but it beat loads of other competitors (including me!) around some twisty technical courses.

"What The!!!" are a great bunch to drive with. Their motto is always, "Just get out there and have fun!". :D

- Rich
ph3var
Grease Monkey

Post by ph3var »

Good result richy boy that LSD must have helped out a lot :D
Custom purple 1995 GPX manual
FTOluv
Veteran Mechanic

Post by FTOluv »

Thats awesome Richard!! Really happy for you dude! :D

I cant wait till i tell me non-FTO owner friends about it!!
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

RichardH wrote:One of the standout vehicles earlier on in the year was a top condition Walkinshaw Holden... an awesome vehicle. A heavy car... but it beat loads of other competitors (including me!) around some twisty technical courses.
- Rich
Man that dude must have some serious skill to beat lighter with a Walkin....the rear spoiler itself is like 30kg.
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
paladin
Mechanic

Post by paladin »

i think the key thing here was the word WET, rwd's and turboed cars arnt much fun in the wet compared to a smove high reving fwder with a decent driver !@ :D
EOI - 96 GPX Brembos, Trust zorst, hks airpod, red seats, 17's
RallyMad
Oldtimer

Post by RallyMad »

Boris wrote:That's absolutely awsome, having a look at the list of cars... impressing... if only they had these things around our side of the country!

Well Done :lol:
I think the competition that Richard is racing in is sort of a motorkhana or autocross. Or something like it, and if you really want to get into this just contact your local cams office and ask about any local clubs that might run these sorts of events. As far as I know there are clubs running them all over the place. There actually state and national championships.

It's a great way to learn car control and a reletively cheap entre to motorsport.
RichardH
Grease Monkey

Post by RichardH »

Yep...

Go to CAMS website here...

http://www.cams.com.au/content.asp?PageID=Calendar

...select "Motorkhana" or "Khanacross" as the discipline, put in an end date 6 months ahead, and hit SEARCH.

Have fun! :)

- Rich
OC
Grease Monkey

Post by OC »

Conrats Rich :D :D Thats a fantastic result!
akuma3
Oldtimer

Post by akuma3 »

teach those turbo a lesson! haha
RichardH
Grease Monkey

Post by RichardH »

More good deeds on-track in an FTO...

Sept 23 - Individual motorkhana comp - 3rd outright, out of 21... including 16 Porsches!

Oct 9 - Round 3 Team comp - our team came 1st. The weather was shocking for the morning session, then cleared up just in time for the arvo session... which was us. With all the Rexes driving on sopping wet tarmac, we had a wonderfully unfair advantage. FTO placed 2nd outright! Gotta love that rain...

- Rich
OC
Grease Monkey

Post by OC »

Wow! Thats incredible, congrats dude :D
mrx
Veteran Mechanic

Post by mrx »

Any pics or video's to share?
RichardH
Grease Monkey

Post by RichardH »

I do, actually. A couple of stills from the individual comp. Here you go...

These were shot by a bloke by the name of Raphael. Nice work.

- Rich
kaveman
Grease Monkey

Post by kaveman »

if anyone in nsw is intrested in motorkhana or supersprint you can contact me

i have been competing this year in the nsw series

robert
RichardH
Grease Monkey

Post by RichardH »

So do the "state" Motorkhana formats have reversing tests?

I saw something in the CAMS rules regarding state/national championships about this. Can't think of anything worse! :)

- Rich