Alternator Saga

Got a problem with your FTO? ask about it here

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

OzFTO
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Alternator Saga

Post by OzFTO »

Does anyone know where I can get my (GPX) alternator tested in Melbourne???? I've had lotsa guys BS over the phone then not know what do do when I've shown them my alternator :x Noone seems to be able to test it - they all say they can rebuild it then I have to re-install it and hope it works!! Any tips???
scracy
Grease Monkey

Post by scracy »

You can try a quick test at home simply by running the car and disconnecting the +tve from the battery. If the car still runs the alternator is probably ok. What sort of voltage does your voltmeter in the car indicate? What makes you suspect a dodgy alternator? :D
<P>HKSFTO-most published fto in aust.</P>
OzFTO

Post by OzFTO »

The alt is definitely faulty - it's showing around 10-11v at the battery (idling without lights on). The battery also died fairly suddenly. I now have it out of the car - which took some doing :x

BTW if anyone wants tips on how to get the alt out of a GPX, I feel qualified in suggesting how to make it easier on yourself!
payaya
Oldtimer

Post by payaya »

you sure its not the battery? also try disconnecting the earth of the battery while the car is running, see if the car continues to run.
OzFTO

Post by OzFTO »

It's definitley not the battery - I've had it tested by a mechanic (good friend of mine) and an auto elec and it's most likely the alternator. My concern is that noone in Australia seems to be able to do a full test on the alternator once it's out of the car (as mine is despite the pain in the butt it is :x ). Any auto elec can static test it and make sure the alternator is working but the complication with the FTO is that the ECU controls the output of the alt. Without a simulated ECU input the auto elec can't guarantee the alt is working (as opposed to a dodgy ECU) and can't guarantee that they won't damage it!!!!! Seeing as the alt is so hard to get in and out I want someone to test it properly (as per the service manual) before I "try it and see" in my car. I figure I'm spending so much time and money on my car - I'd like it done RIGHT the first time!
KillaFlop
Apprentice

Post by KillaFlop »

no luck with mi FTO at all these days...

my whole car turned off a few times today and i believe it is the alternator as the battery is newly replaced only a few weeks ago...
needed jump start like 4 times just 2 get back home :cry:

does anyone know how muchy 4 a new one or any place that can source and replace them in sydney?
Radium
Apprentice

Post by Radium »

Join the club Killaflop
Robb
Grease Monkey

Post by Robb »

I need to join that club too... My alternator charges the batt. only 50% of the time so I need a new one too....:cry:

Robb...
OzFTO

Post by OzFTO »

A friend of mine from REPCO said that they are now importing Champion brand alternators from O/S so they can get ones for the FTO. Call REPCO and quote the number on the alternator. I was quoted $650 for one for my GPX. If they don't have any luck, PM me and I'll put you onto my contact.

I'm still going to try to get mine rebuilt as it looks like a cheaper option - might take some time though....
OzFTO

Post by OzFTO »

Seeing as a few guys need to change alternators, I'll let you know my method (with a qualified mechanic helping me out!!!) for my '95 GPX.
1. loosen off tensioning pulley and remove drive belt
2. remove the ball joint on the RHS suspension arm
3. remove exhaust manifold (at the bottom rear of engine)
4. jack up RHS of the engine (use a block of wood to spread the weight or you'll dent the oil (?) pan), remove the one engine mounting bolt and jack up a few inches, being careful of the aircon lines
5. remove alternator connectors and bolts and move it around (this is the hard part) until it comes out between the suspension arm and the engine - it's a tight fit!

The FTO manual states that you should unbolt the transmission and remove the engine - I prefer the method above!!!!

Needless to say - getting it done by your average workshop will cost you...
8O
Blaze
Apprentice

Post by Blaze »

If you need alternator, u may try to ring JUST JAP in Kirawee, NSW @ 95450532.
I have quoted before for around $400. But didnt buy it, coz it was the flat batt.
Try your luck!
Blaze
Apprentice

Post by Blaze »

Yeah, it was second one from half cut.
OzFTO

Post by OzFTO »

:D It's fixed - well it was fixed a few months back but I've been really busy in the mean time so haven't posted the END to the saga!

Happily I finally found someone that could rebuild it for me - they did a pretty good job but charged more than they quoted so I won't recommend them. It wasn't until I had the work done that REPCO started importing new FTO alternators. Try them for your other parts like brake pads, etc - the prices are quite reasonable.

So - one more happy FTO (GPX!) owner bak on the road :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D [/b]