jedwabna poszewka promocja

UAS Cold Air Pod Kit

Post by -Nighthawk- »

Hi Guys,
I'm interesting in getting this:

UAS COLD AIR RAMP POD KIT FOR MITSUBISHI FTO

from http://www.300zx.com.au/pricelists/pricelist_fto.htm

Anyone got it? Got 2 questions however.

Is this a good price? And where it says "AVAILABLE FOR MIVECS ONLY. FTO GR'S USE A FLEXIBLE BLACK CORRIGATED HOSE." does that give me a different pipe? Because it lists the GR as "PRICE: $295 FTO GR" there.

Cheers
silverGPX
9.5"

Re: UAS Cold Air Pod Kit

Post by silverGPX »

I dont think they sell them anymore man theres been a heap of debate on this youll have to ring them.

But its the best pipe available and has proven gains. ;)
evoman
Grease Monkey

Post by evoman »

For the GPX one, last time I sent an email to John back in March he said;
"Nil left and need around 5 people at a minimum to redo"

Not sure what the situation is now though. I have been meaning to check up for a while.

GR ones might be a little easier to do though so you might have more luck?
Supplanter
Forum Moderator

Post by Supplanter »

The pipe is awesome, the filter is average, the box is sh*t.

Any questions?
LED ALL the things.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Dont bother. The GR pipe is just a piece of corrugated flexible tube. Lasted 2 weeks on my car before spliting, so in essence you're paying $295 for a Uni Filter & plastic box.

Go to your local Auto shop & buy 2 x 90 bends of 3 inch intake pipe, a MAF adaptor plate & choose a filter of your preference.

The GPX pipe is awesome, but yeah he's outta stock. We ran a group buy about 12 months ago that cleaned him out. The problem is, the mob the fabricate the rubber pipes will only do a minimum batch of 5 due to tooling & setup costs. I've been trying to find an alternative supplier ever since, especially one that doesn't charge like a wounded bull. Even John @ UAS was paying his supplier $110 a pipe...
-Nighthawk-
Oldtimer

Post by -Nighthawk- »

Hmm interesting, from the picture it all looks pretty solid.

Can I use any POD filter on the car? Also what does the MAF adapter plate do?

cheers
Shhtuart
Forum Moderator

Post by Shhtuart »

I'm continually searching for an ARC intake.
-Nighthawk-
Oldtimer

Post by -Nighthawk- »

Bennoz wrote:Dont bother. The GR pipe is just a piece of corrugated flexible tube. Lasted 2 weeks on my car before spliting, so in essence you're paying $295 for a Uni Filter & plastic box.

Go to your local Auto shop & buy 2 x 90 bends of 3 inch intake pipe, a MAF adaptor plate & choose a filter of your preference.

The GPX pipe is awesome, but yeah he's outta stock. We ran a group buy about 12 months ago that cleaned him out. The problem is, the mob the fabricate the rubber pipes will only do a minimum batch of 5 due to tooling & setup costs. I've been trying to find an alternative supplier ever since, especially one that doesn't charge like a wounded bull. Even John @ UAS was paying his supplier $110 a pipe...
Is it really that bad? I can't seem to source one of those intake pipes :\ or I'm looking in the wrong places.

Would prefer that kit as everything would fit together properly, you sure I'm going to run into problems with it on a GR?

Cheers
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

At the risk of repeating everything thats already been said, yes those flexible pipes are flimsy and sh*t. Why? Because I had on & it lasted 2 weeks. A number of other people suffered the same fate. There is also no ability to connect the intake manifold pressure releif line into the intake pipe (as it is on the stock intake pipe.) See below pic. Only option is to put a little breather filter over the pressure relief line. Not such a good solution considering that pressure is 'metred' air flow. Aka, the ECU is excpecting it to go in the engine:

The other issue with that setup is that you end up with the MAF sensor all the way down the end of the intake pipe, right next to the pod filter. The MAF sensor is very sensitive & having a free flowing filter like that so close to it causes havoc with the MAF & as a result your idle ends up all over the place as the MAF picks up wild temperature & air speed fluctuations.

The plastic box isn't what I'd call sturdy either, its 1mm thick moulding plastic. I've been through 3 of them over the years. They crack over time & with heat.

And lastly, as with every 'aftermarket kit' - its doesn't all just 'fit together like a bit of ikea flatpack. There's always something that wont go on right. A little cut here, an extra inch off that etc etc. I've fitted dozens of both types of these kits & thats just the way they are.

Gotta remember, prior to being a twin turbo, my car was a GR. I had dozens of intake pipe incarnations from this sh*tty flexible stuff, to dunny pipe, to the best pipe setup I ever had (now on Sublimes car) which is simply some silcone pipes with the MAF sensor well up the pipe & away from the filter. The silicone pipes are both study & well insulated, keep the engine heat away from the air flow. It was also strong enough to cop the 100hp shot of nos we pumped through it.

It was 2 x 90 degree, 3 inch silicone pipes (I cut them to length) and a MAF adaptor plate, into a K&N filter. Yeah thats the UAS box (3rd one I had) and as you can see by the big blue piece of school folder cut to go around the pipe entry point, cause the original entry section of the box had cracked away.

You need the MAF adaptor plate becasue normally, the MAF bolts to the standard air box, once you unbolt it, its flat on one side but has a 3inch pipe entry on the other side. The MAF adaptor plate gives the 3 inch pipe entry spot for the flat side of it.

I think I've even got a spare MAF adaptor in the garage if you want it....

Having said all that, every item I used to make that pipe is available from any auto type shop & a hell of a lot cheaper than $295.

As far as the box goes, the best ones I've seen to date are Dwaynes & Azas insulted stainless steel boxes. They've even got the templates to make them from a flat piece of steel.
Grue
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Grue »

Good writeup Ben. The time's coming where i need to re-build mine for the nth time... just a couple of points for clarity. Was the 3" silicone able to compress enough to fit the Throttle Body tightly? And did you have the little manifold breather filter with your method, or end up running a tube to a drilled hole in the silicone 90deg pipe and sealing it up?
If you can't dazzle them with dexterity, baffle them with bull...
Kustom
Oldtimer

Post by Kustom »

Hmm... I might venture down to Supercheap when I get some spare time...

Oh and is there a copy of dwaynes + aza's box layout?
Taz wrote:When funds allow
-Nighthawk-
Oldtimer

Post by -Nighthawk- »

Thanks for the write-up Bennoz, very informative :)

Yes I would like something sturdy like that silicon pipe, the top pic looks horrible. Unfortunately I'm not too good at creating custom parts for my car, are there any pre-made silicon pipes that will mostly fit the GR available like yours?

Cheers
Kustom
Oldtimer

Post by Kustom »

-Nighthawk- wrote:Thanks for the write-up Bennoz, very informative :)

Yes I would like something sturdy like that silicon pipe, the top pic looks horrible. Unfortunately I'm not too good at creating custom parts for my car, are there any pre-made silicon pipes that will mostly fit the GR available like yours?

Cheers
You don't have to create anything? Just buy the parts and slip them on.
Taz wrote:When funds allow
-Nighthawk-
Oldtimer

Post by -Nighthawk- »

Can you buy one of those silicon pipes from Supercheap Auto?
Shhtuart
Forum Moderator

Post by Shhtuart »

-Nighthawk- wrote:Can you buy one of those silicon pipes from Supercheap Auto?
Yes.
Sahin
HULK

Post by Sahin »

:lol:
c3rbera
Mechanic

Post by c3rbera »

Sahin wrote::lol:
omg.... :lol:
silverGPX wrote:Nice supra
Manual '95 GPX
Daniel2019
Oldtimer

Post by Daniel2019 »

Shhtuart wrote:I'm continually searching for an ARC intake.
:troll:
I fix cars.
Bennoz wrote:I got Bali beli & sharted on my phone. But it was fun :D
bjk wrote:you old people are no help at all.