FTO Shutdown

Got a problem with your FTO? ask about it here

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

aniken
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Re: FTO Shutdown

Post by aniken »

This was happening to me, a couple of months back in my 95 Mivec... started with the odd 'hiccup' , then engine just started to cut out at random, no warning, one time at 80kph ( I mean really - how can you **** stall at that speed???) ... also, sitting at lights, revs increase on their own, then drop again, orange light comes on - stays on - then goes out... drove me crazy- diagnostic came up with no codes. Then 'Fueltronics' in Booragoon here in W.A - who had invested in a new diagnostic get up found the problem codecame up showing the fuel injection sensor was up the creek... all good now :D
Lurrrvve my car :-)
redevil01
Apprentice

Post by redevil01 »

Looks like I spoke too soon :(

Got the same symptoms on new years day! Plenty of crank and spark but fuel doesn’t seem to be getting to the engine which means it either doesn’t start or starts and the revs are literally at zero and then it dies after a few seconds.

Possible issues - Fuel filter / Fuel Pump / fuel injection sensor (thanks aniken)…any other ideas??

Also, if I do go down the fuel pump replacement path I understand there are two separate pumps for the GP and GPX. I’ve got a GPX, if some one could share some knowledge on this one that would be great.

Cheers.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Change your filter first.

Pumps are the same across all models. There is only 1 in the tank.
redevil01
Apprentice

Post by redevil01 »

Thanks Bennoz. In terms of fuel filter is there a brand / type that is usually recommend?? Will prob pick it up tomorrow morning.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Nah not really. A Ryco or Coopers will do the job. Part number Z441
redevil01
Apprentice

Post by redevil01 »

Quick update –

Had a mechanic look at the fto today and got it moving again, notes from report below:

-checked ECU, no codes stored. Okay.
-checked power and earth to fuel pump. Okay.
-checked fuel pressure. Okay.
-checked spark. Okay.
-during diagnoses he heard a noise coming from the idle air control value, removed, inspected. He gave it a clean of all direct and refitted.
-after refit the fto started and road tested okay.

He mentioned it might be an intermittent fuel pump problem but most likely the IAC valve is faulty.

Im thinking I should go ahead and replace the IAC and fuel pump in one hit just to have some peace of mind. Thoughts?
redevil01
Apprentice

Post by redevil01 »

Lucky me, looks like i got a full 3 days of motoring!
No start this morning :(
Plenty of crank but no ignition.
I have a feeling the cold morning had something to do with it (was in the car at 7am - prob around 14 degrees) not being able to start – have had it play up in the past on cold mornings but would always come thru.
If there is plenty of pressure and flow in terms of fuel could it still be a fuel filter issue? im not sure if I should replace this first up as you mentioned bennoz before the IAC or pump itself.
payaya
Oldtimer

Post by payaya »

I don't understand. You said you have spark and fuel pressure is ok, so why would you change your fuel filter?

How are you testing for spark and how did you check the fuel pressure?

I don't think you have one of the other. My guess is more sensor related like your cam sensor. A IAC won't cause a no start situation so you are wasting your time.
redevil01
Apprentice

Post by redevil01 »

Replaced the fuel pump and IAC value as have always been a little suspect of the two however after a few weeks of solid driving I get the same issue – on start up the indicator on the taco is wobbling / stuttering up and down between 0 – 2 rpm with no power when you floor the gas pedal.

I have noticed one thing though, that this has only been happening on start up, never while driving. Also the last two occasions after the issue occurred I came back 30min later and the car started no stress – don’t know if that is any indicator at all.

Payaya, is there anyway you’d recommend testing the cam sensor??
payaya
Oldtimer

Post by payaya »

I reckon you are looking in the wrong place.
babybomber13
Apprentice

Post by babybomber13 »

I had exactly the same thing, driving at 90kms and the car just shut down. Was at an Auto Electricians for about 3 weeks and he couldnt find what was wrong with it. I have not much experience with cars and its now been sitting outside for a few months. The last thing he told me was i needed a new engine. He changed the computer and oil and fuel filters but thats about it. Should i get a 2nd opinion or go down the track of doing an engine changeover?
payaya
Oldtimer

Post by payaya »

Have you checked your fuel pressure regulator? Pull the vac hose on it the next time your car doesn't start and see if it does after doing this.
aniken

Post by aniken »

Hi there,
I know this was a while back, and I've not visited the site much since I got my FTO Mivec in 2008, but someone might benefit from my reply.
Happened to me intermittently a few years ago, could happen at low speed, could happen doing 100 on the freeway..very bloody scary.
Turned out it was relay in computer not telling fuel pump to pump fuel.
less than $200 to fix. Then good as gold.
Hope this helps someone some day :)
Lurrrvve my car :-)
yotka
Mechanic

Post by yotka »

Good to know.
Thanks for posting.

Do you have the part number for the part replaced?