Got a problem with your FTO? ask about it here

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

jeremywe
Apprentice
jedwabna poszewka promocja

URGENT: Help... Car cannot start.

Post by jeremywe »

Hi guys...

My car(GR-Tip) just broke down on me, and i'm so upset i'm breaking down myself.

This morning, i drove about 7km, and top up with a full tank.
Everything was fine...

Came home, and about 4 hours later, went into the car, and tried starting it as usual, but the engine just wouldnt crank. All I heard when I twisted the key into the “STARTâ€
<P><U><FONT color=#800080><A href="http://www.ftoaustralia.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=1888"></A></FONT></U>&nbsp;</P>
thecook
Mechanic

Post by thecook »

maybe its your battery
jeremywe
Apprentice

Post by jeremywe »

thecook wrote:maybe its your battery
I doubt its the battery because the engine wont even attempt to crack.

If i'm not mistaken, the engine would at least make some noise but will not start if its the battery. I wished it was the battery though.

Anyone encountered this or know whats wrong with my baby? ;(
<P><U><FONT color=#800080><A href="http://www.ftoaustralia.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=1888"></A></FONT></U>&nbsp;</P>
jonowong
Oldtimer

Post by jonowong »

put your key in and switch to accessories

and if your voltmeter is under 12v then your battery is in need of a charging
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

It's the battery that powers the starter motor which in turns cranks over the engine. Given that the engine isn't cranking over it's sounds like it is either your starter motor or battery.

What voltage reading do you get? Does your radio work OK? How do your headlights look (bright or dim)?
MIVEC is My Friend :D
jeremywe
Apprentice

Post by jeremywe »

ruchi wrote:It's the battery that powers the starter motor which in turns cranks over the engine. Given that the engine isn't cranking over it's sounds like it is either your starter motor or battery.

What voltage reading do you get? Does your radio work OK? How do your headlights look (bright or dim)?
My radio works perfect, and lights are normal. I get almost 12V when engine not started(normal-as before).

But whats that weird sound i hear when i turn the key to "START"?

How much does it cost in total to replace/repair the starter motor if thats the problem? Would just any workshop be able to do that? Can i actually use the service of a mobile mechanic as the car cannot move at all... :(
Boris
Oldtimer

Post by Boris »

It's most likely the sound of the starter motor.

The sound you hear is the solonoid attempting to push out a pin, that connects to your flywheel. Once this pin is out it spins the flywheel and starts your car. (I think)

It sounds like your starter motor needs a recondition, I had a similar problem, but I have a manual so atleast I could jump start it.

To confirm that this is your starter motor, get someone to stand and listen to the sound, and if it's coming from it, then this is your answer.

Don't get to upset mate, as this is expected, our cars are almost 10yrs old.
jeremywe
Apprentice

Post by jeremywe »

An FTO miracle just happened to me...

I was rushing off to work, was late, drenched in rain, feeling sucky and all... Before i left my car, i unplugged the battery.

6 hours later, i came home and tried to start it again.

When i put it to that the "1 click before cranking" position... the car made a funny noise. that electrical noise again, at an interval of 1 noise a second, on and off, for about 5 times...

When the yellow light on the dash went off, i twisted the key, anxious... Expecting to hear the engine not start and that weird sound again, but this time it started.

Let it run for about 5 mins... and then repeated the process, this time, at the "1 click before cranking" position no more weird intermitten sound... and everything starts well.

Thanks for all the help guys! But just curious, what happened?
ECU fell sick?
kaveman
Grease Monkey

Post by kaveman »

you will properly find the termals my have been a bit dirty and not making proper contact

by you taking them off and putting back on properly fix the problem

go back out and make sure you have no oxidation and give a good clean

robert c
jeremywe
Apprentice

Post by jeremywe »

kaveman wrote:you will properly find the termals my have been a bit dirty and not making proper contact

by you taking them off and putting back on properly fix the problem

go back out and make sure you have no oxidation and give a good clean

robert c
Was thinking it had nothing to do with the batt... But will do that anyway.
Thanks. :) :D
kaveman
Grease Monkey

Post by kaveman »

its just i have had this problem a couple of time and you will find you have enough power to run everything but it will not kick over

how is sunny qld any way
Boris
Oldtimer

Post by Boris »

Don't want to stir the puddle, but you may find that you will get that happening, before the starter motor goes.

With my car, it did the same thing. 8O

Depending on what is wrong, and what is happening, but to be safe don't try to start your car lot's, as this may grind away the slots (???) on your flywheel.

Have you taken the voltage of the battery when you actually turn the key over?
jeremywe
Apprentice

Post by jeremywe »

kaveman wrote:its just i have had this problem a couple of time and you will find you have enough power to run everything but it will not kick over

how is sunny qld any way
What do you mean? Were you talking bout the battery not having enuff power? I was hoping its the battery and not something else. But funny thing is that this afternoon the engine wont even attempt to crack a single bit. My impression of a weak batt is that the engine will somehow crack onces or twice very slowly, and not being able to crack fast and long enuff to start...

I afraid of this re occuring watever the problem is... Wonder if i should get it checked... But i dont know exactly what the problem is, and dont wanna get ripped off.

QLD's great... been here for a year and a half only though...
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

based on the repetitive sound you described, I believe that it is more likely to be your starter motor.
MIVEC is My Friend :D
payaya
Oldtimer

Post by payaya »

do you get a constant clicking noise or a single tick when trying to turn over motor or nothing?

try this, if your car doesnt start again, get under the car tap the starter with a hammer, firm taps, and get someone to start the car.
jeremywe
Apprentice

Post by jeremywe »

payaya wrote:do you get a constant clicking noise or a single tick when trying to turn over motor or nothing?

try this, if your car doesnt start again, get under the car tap the starter with a hammer, firm taps, and get someone to start the car.
(Voltage of batt is close to 16v...) Oh man... you mean its gonna affect the flywheel? Gosh...

When the car was fine before, when i turned the key to "ON" but not cranking the engine yet, i'll hear a single click.
When it gave the problem today, it gave a constant sound, and on 2nd try a repetive sound, and sometimes a mix of both on subsequent tries...

I concluded that it could be the starter pinion pin or something like that...
Is there a high risk of it occuring again soon? Any idea how much it'll cost to get it fixed so no chance of it occuring in the near future?

btw, the method of using a hammer to tap on the starter motor sounds logical... Hope i won't have to verify it. :P
payaya
Oldtimer

Post by payaya »

if its constant clicking your not recieving enough votage. Someones a bettery can look fine but theres not enough to crank the starter properly.

If its click click click click, not enough voltage
If its crank, crank, slower crank, then no crank, its the battery.
If its nothing its your starter motor.
payaya
Oldtimer

Post by payaya »

jeremywe wrote:
payaya wrote:do you get a constant clicking noise or a single tick when trying to turn over motor or nothing?

(Voltage of batt is close to 16v...) Oh man... you mean its gonna affect the flywheel? Gosh...

When the car was fine before, when i turned the key to "ON" but not cranking the engine yet, i'll hear a single click.
When it gave the problem today, it gave a constant sound, and on 2nd try a repetive sound, and sometimes a mix of both on subsequent tries...

I concluded that it could be the starter pinion pin or something like that...
Is there a high risk of it occuring again soon? Any idea how much it'll cost to get it fixed so no chance of it occuring in the near future?

btw, the method of using a hammer to tap on the starter motor sounds logical... Hope i won't have to verify it. :P
that on click is your stepper motor.
jeremywe
Apprentice

Post by jeremywe »

Thanks papaya for that info. quite helpful...

The drive before it "broke down", i was blasting my ICE extra loud... you think it could be because of that?

Just a few Qs.

you said
Case 1: "If its click click click click, not enough voltage
Case 2: If its crank, crank, slower crank, then no crank, its the battery. "

Does "click click click" mean that its the battery as well? Isnt case 2 the battery as well, but how come engine cranks?

Pardon my ignorance, but what does the stepper motor do?

Thanks!
twistea
Grease Monkey

Post by twistea »

my guess is that you have damaged the solenoid on the starter motor. if your battery was low on voltage then the solenoid would have been drawing a lot more current from the battery and hence you probably fried it.