The impossible nuts

Got a problem with your FTO? ask about it here

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Taz
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

The impossible nuts

Post by Taz »

So after getting the exhaust out of maverick in one piece i want to break it down and save the cat if possible, HOWEVER the bolts on either side must have literally rusted on!

I have left the f**kers sitting in WD40 overnight SATURATED in the stuff, then got the air ratchet on them and still nothing, and the impact wrench is too bulky and cannot reach them - however the wrench still torques hard and took off the y pipe bolts. Also no luck with a 1/2 drive and a BIG breaker bar on the end.

Any tricks of the trade i can do to get these off? Seems at this stage ill shear the head off before it comes loose 8O
Bennoz wrote: Cum gunt it!
PHIL069
Oldtimer

Re: The impossible nuts

Post by PHIL069 »

You can try a WD40 like product called "Yield", it's sole purpose is designed to loosen rust, works awesome but not cheap.
You can also try heating the bolt/nut with an oxy torch, then attempt to undo it.
You can blow off (cut) the nut with an oxy torch and hit out the bolt or blow the bolt out.
You can also cut off the nut with an angle grinder drill out the center of the bolt, smaller drill bit than the size of the bolt and hit out the remainder with a drift and hammer, if you can't remove the remainder then you can drill out the rest of bolt with a drill bit the same size as the bolt
mikeey01nzl wrote:Hats off to you too Phil for spending so much time on the phone trying to help someone out, your a top man and only a few would've spent so much time. well done! :salut:
Daniel2019 wrote:Come on phil, we bonded at the bonfire, lets be honest here...me and phil are besties now... :lol:
Connor_1994
Mechanic

Post by Connor_1994 »

i had the same ideas as Phil,

if theyre that bad like mine, and you dont want the rest of the pipe, just cut it at either end of the cat, not too hard to weld back onto another pipe,
Taz
Oldtimer

Post by Taz »

Hmm thanks phil ill have to try that yield stuff. I don't have a giant metal drill or tools to do the others and I don't want to sit there for an hour with a hacksaw. Hopefully ill leave on this yield overnight, come back with a hammer and flathead, shake it up and torque the sh*t out of it.
Otherwise ill see if I can get a hold of a specific rattle gun extension bar or something so it fits.
Cheers guys, ill let ya know how I get on.
silverGPX
9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

Take it to a mechanics or exhaust shop and ask them to crack them for some lunch money?

:lol:
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Cold chisel!
Shane001
Oldtimer

Post by Shane001 »

Bennoz wrote:Cold chisel!
And a big mother hammer :lol:
Taz
Oldtimer

Post by Taz »

Matt lol its the whole pipe, can't fit it into a car.
Don't have a chisel but have a big ass flathead, and what me n matt call a 'silly hammer' lmfao, really piss weak small hammer. Will figure something out when i get home hopefully.
zuihoujueding
Oldtimer

Post by zuihoujueding »

try loctite freeze. it works sometime.
payaya
Oldtimer

Post by payaya »

I've taken over 100 exhausts off and never struggled with one. It either brakes or comes off, never seized. A ratchet is good for 50nm to 100nm at best.

Jack the car up as high as you can and get the longest bar you can on your breaker bar.

I cant see it taking anywhere near 100nm to get the bolts off.
Kustom
Oldtimer

Post by Kustom »

payaya wrote:I've taken over 100 exhausts off and never struggled with one. It either brakes or comes off, never seized. A ratchet is good for 50nm to 100nm at best.

Jack the car up as high as you can and get the longest bar you can on your breaker bar.

I cant see it taking anywhere near 100nm to get the bolts off.
Yeah but you seen the size of taz? :lol:
Taz wrote:When funds allow
Taz
Oldtimer

Post by Taz »

yea yea stef lmao
But yes, ive put an impact wrench on it and an air wrench, big ol breaker bar with a metre long tube on the end, soaked in WD40 overnight and still nothing (the exhaust is out of the car on the garage floor in one piece)
Ill try that locktight stuff and if a no go then ill try a cold chisel. If that fails then ill have to spend a good hour with the hacksaw :cry:
Don't know what the previous owner did with it but its on there tight. tighter than a nuns c**t in west texas
silverGPX
9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

How about just chuck it cos its just a sh*tty 2nd hand cat.

Shane001
Oldtimer

Post by Shane001 »

forget about the loctite freeze, waste of money, doesn't work on seized bolts.

Really though if you've got a breaker bar with a length of pipe on it as Papaya said, it'll either come free or break clean.

So you're just not trying hard enough :D :lol:
Taz
Oldtimer

Post by Taz »

:scratch:
I do have about a metre length of bar on the breaker bar, which is almost a metre in itself on it and i really am tugging hard (pun not intended) but still nothing.
It gives a little give, like a mini spring kind of action but it doesnt snap or come free :cry:
My only other option is to secure even more so somehow (had the mrs stand on it while its on the ground and i have it so when i go to undo it, it sits in place as the exhaust cant go through the ground which is its stop if that makes any sense)
Ill give it one more crack tomorrow but ill give up if i cant - and silver i cant just bin it as its a full exhaust, and i dont want to spend 45 on a trailer and then dump fees when i can (hopefully) just break it down enough to fit in the wheelie bins :lol:
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Use an angle grinder, grind the c**t off.
mikeey01nzl
Apprentice

Post by mikeey01nzl »

Taz
As others have suggested and my advise is you'll need....
- An OXY set (LPG or Butane are not hot enough and will take ages to get the heat into it)
- A really good rattle gun (not a cheapie) and or a breaker bar 600mm min.

If you don't have a breaker bar get the largest 1/2" ratchet you've got and take it down to a scrap metal dealer, test try pieces of pipe over the end of it to give you a longer lenght.

A video of what your trying to achieve

If all else fails, Bennoz has got the right idea and I too have got so pissed off before, out comes the quickest bolt removal tool anyones has got, the angle grinder. :)
Last edited by mikeey01nzl on Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Beer, it saved the world! I'll drink to that Image

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yf3YvXM9j5o
Taz
Oldtimer

Post by Taz »

I dont have an angle grinder :cry: otherwise i would of done that already :lol:
dont have an OXY set either - the whole point of this is to not go out and buy something ill use once or twice just for this occasion...
mikeey01nzl
Apprentice

Post by mikeey01nzl »

hmmm no OXY.... There is a way with Propane and candle wax.....

I take it you've already tryed whacking the sh*t out of it with a large hammer? (intention is to crack it)

If all else fails Bunnings sell angle grinders for $20 in Auzzie.
Is there anyone you can borrow some if not all of what you need off?
Beer, it saved the world! I'll drink to that Image

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yf3YvXM9j5o
silverGPX
9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

Taz wrote:dont have an OXY set either - the whole point of this is to not go out and buy something ill use once or twice just for this occasion...
:roll:

Thought Aldi would have them up for sale by now