Gearbox fix or repair

Got a problem with your FTO? ask about it here

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

bobz
Grease Monkey
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Gearbox fix or repair

Post by bobz »

I just purchased a manual 97 MIVEC GPX FTO, which has a problem with selecting reverse gear. Does anyone know where I can find a replacement gearbox or a mechanic to fix the current one in Melbourne?

Any help is apreciated!

BobZ
TimmyD
Mechanic

Post by TimmyD »

no idea where u can get a new gearbox from but shouldnt your heading be, fix or replace not repair?, technically fix and repair are the same thing :P
bobz
Grease Monkey

Post by bobz »

Yes it should off but no one is perfect....

BobZ
Craig
Apprentice

Post by Craig »

hey matey
i posted this same problem about a week ago
got some good replys...
it was that i couldnt select reverse and only way i could get it into gear was roll back or forward... and it would lip in...
its just a matter of the gear just not lining up
so i changed the gearbox oil... and then when it wont go.. i just de-clutch then press the clutch in again.. then it slips in..problem solved...
its a pain... but its saves spending another $1000+ on a second hand gearbox... or $2000+ on a rebuild...
smorison
The Godfather

Post by smorison »

Craig wrote:hey matey
i posted this same problem about a week ago
got some good replys...
it was that i couldnt select reverse and only way i could get it into gear was roll back or forward... and it would lip in...
its just a matter of the gear just not lining up
so i changed the gearbox oil... and then when it wont go.. i just de-clutch then press the clutch in again.. then it slips in..problem solved...
its a pain... but its saves spending another $1000+ on a second hand gearbox... or $2000+ on a rebuild...
if your pumping you clutch it could be the clutch master cylinder that's on the way out.
bobz
Grease Monkey

Post by bobz »

No it's not a clutch issue because there is no grinding nise when I try to select reverse. The stick will move into the slot but the gear will not engage. So it's not like if I turn the car off I can put it in gear and then start and it will move off. I think the selector fork is bent or the reverse cluster has some teeth missing or the bearing is shot?
rxboy
Mechanic

Post by rxboy »

Give Manuel Automatics a call. They reconditioned my 5spd tip gearbox a year ago.

ph: (03) 9466 4499
address: 353 Settlement Rd, Thomastown VIC 3074
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

You can try SL Motorsport as well, since they upgraded Mikey's (GPXXX) clutch.

S L Motorsports
39 Osborne Ave Springvale 3171

(03) 9548 5837 ask for Lee
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.