Booting around the Bush!!

Got a problem with your FTO? ask about it here

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

shadowarrior
Tightarse
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Re: Booting around the Bush!!

Post by shadowarrior »

Is the Inner left CV boot and steering boot (was that boot or rack end Sahin?) generic stuff from supercheap?
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

shadowarrior wrote:Is the Inner left CV boot and steering boot (was that boot or rack end Sahin?) generic stuff from supercheap?
Steering boot is, CV maybe not.

If you're gonna go to the trouble of doing the CV boot, you may as well do the whole CV joint. Considering they're the princely some of 39 bucks.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mitsubishi-F ... 0b7&_uhb=1

Comes with boot, CV grease, straps - the works.
vanadinite
Veteran Mechanic

Post by vanadinite »

Can an abs ring be put onto these cv joints? the ebay ones I mean.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

vanadinite wrote:Can an abs ring be put onto these cv joints? the ebay ones I mean.
Yup, just tell 'em.
payaya
Oldtimer

Post by payaya »

CV joints are generic items.
payaya
Oldtimer

Post by payaya »

Vectose wrote:I used a piece of PVC tubing I had lying around to get the bolts of my headers off, just to make things a bit easier.

I also bought one of these a while back. It is more powerful than the cordless ones and even the cheap air ones.

I won the auction for $80.
Pfft many cordless wrenches are more powerful than that. I bet those quoted figures are fudged bit time.
Vectose
Forum Moderator

Post by Vectose »

payaya wrote:
Vectose wrote:I used a piece of PVC tubing I had lying around to get the bolts of my headers off, just to make things a bit easier.

I also bought one of these a while back. It is more powerful than the cordless ones and even the cheap air ones.

I won the auction for $80.
Pfft many cordless wrenches are more powerful than that. I bet those quoted figures are fudged bit time.
I was talking about the cordless ones in the same price range. For it's price it is a very good unit. Took off the harmonic balancer bolt on an engine that had been sitting for a while in about 5 seconds.
Bennoz wrote:
Technikhaus wrote:What is in said Bens big penis by the way?
A whoooole lot 'o jism 8)
shadowarrior
Tightarse

Post by shadowarrior »

I still need to figure out part numbers for these: :|
*Front Control arm rear has different types....which one? :| (Round or Square ones? caster correction? which part number?)
*Front and Rear Sway bar mount to Chassis bushing. >>Don't know which one from the Nolathene website.
*Front Sway bar - link bushing 42032 >> Says it suits SOHC models? Will it fit the DOHC as well?
payaya
Oldtimer

Post by payaya »

Got to the suspension thread its all in there.
payaya
Oldtimer

Post by payaya »

shadowarrior wrote:I still need to figure out part numbers for these: :|
*Front Control arm rear has different types....which one? :| (Round or Square ones? caster correction? which part number?)
*Front and Rear Sway bar mount to Chassis bushing. >>Don't know which one from the Nolathene website.
*Front Sway bar - link bushing 42032 >> Says it suits SOHC models? Will it fit the DOHC as well?
42032 - We dont use a bush on the links.
Nacho
Oldtimer

Post by Nacho »

shadowarrior wrote:
Nacho wrote:
shadowarrior wrote:Oh damn...that's scary. :|
Don't have any breaker bar/rattle gun/turbo sockets/torque wrench. But have tons of WD40 and a pretty big swear jar. Hmmm...
Not trying to scare you dude. It's actually a fairly straightforward assembly and reassembly process.....it's just a pain in the ass getting bolts off (sometimes in awkward positions) that are designed to be tight. Coz they're so tight there's always a danger of rounded bolt heads.

If you go ahead with it don't forget a wheel alignment too.

Thanks mate :) Any info about the job is appreciated. Would help me tons to be prepared instead of getting stuck midway. I am a complete noob when it comes to mechanical work on the car :)

I have added a breaker bar to my purchase list. Will this do? http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online ... 1302#Cross
Or I can find a pipe shop and get a long strong piece of pipe and use my existing socket set.

Trying to find the turbo sockets. What's the best place to buy them from? Any approx price idea?

Do I have to take any readings before I start the work? Or can I drive it down to a wheel alignment shop (Bob Jane?) after the work is done and they will know the adjustments?

Right now, my car has a slight pull to the left if I take my hands off the steering wheel. Also, going over the parking lot speed bumps sometimes make my steering wheel go crazy.
Sorry dude I don't get as much time to get on the forum these days. How did you go?

All I needed to do for mine was follow the instructions in the suspension thread in conjunction with the workshop manual. The turbo sockets aren't mandatory either.....they only come in handy if you round off the bolt heads but even then there's other methods like filing two straight sides on the rounded bolt and using an open-ended spanner. As for measurements......no need to take any. You can drive without an alignment for a while (BUT) it's not the safest idea long term and it does wonders for accelerating tyre wear.
You never get a second chance to make a first impression.